Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    I urge those who go to Best Buy to NOT go to Best Buy only because of my experience. Don't get me wrong Best Buy is fine but there are 2 reasons I would avoid it if possible. I am not a Sprint or Best Buy employee, just a consumer watching out for us little guys.

1. The quality of their Pre shipment vs the quality of the Pre shipment to Sprint stores. Sprint tends to get the newer shipment and are more willing to change out phones bought from the sprint store if there was a known or possibly known defect to the device. I have had problems changing out my Touch Pro at a Sprint store since they claimed I had not purchased from either Telesales or an authorized Sprint store. The reason I had problems was because even though I bought in late Feb and early March, I still had a late October build phone from the previous year which had numerous problems that were fixed later next year in the January builds. Unfortunately Sprint stores does NOT honor Best Buy phones so I was stuck exchanging at Best Buy for the same ****ty phones (older built). YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR I suppose. I do not blame Best Buy since their shipment was probably given to them by the direction of Sprint. (Clarification - As you will read through the posts below this statement may vary in experience from state to state but this happened in California. Support remains the same, but exchanges (changing out) will not be honored by Sprint unless the phone was purchased through Sprint within the first 30 days. After that manufacturer warranty and TEP would be the way to get the phone exchanged or fixed or replaced with a refurb. - Happy AERO??)

2 The list price. What people DO NOT know or forget is that even though Sprint has it for 549 for the retail price, BESTBUY will markup that price to possibly 250 dollars more, making it 799. Guess which price you will be paying tax for?? Exactly, 799!!! That is how Best Buy makes their money since MIR are not real money makers unless the consumer forgets and does not follow up. I find the MIR at Sprint to be fine since you can always track it. I rather have the safety net of being able to go to Sprint to switch out for a newer build phone than go back to Best Buy and deal with the early build phones. I believe sprint taxes are different since their tax price is the 299 price (before MIR), meaning rather than (assuming 10% tax) 30 dollars, you are paying 80 dollars at Best Buy, 50 dollar more net difference without the hassle of a MIR. Being that i am a PENNY PINCHER, I can use that 50 dollar and get TEP for 7 months and then cancel since by that time I can get a new phone with the early BUGS fixed and very easily (from what I have read) go into a Sprint store and change it out and go home and play with my BRAND new phone (BUG free hopefully). BUT if i am mistaken about the taxes and it maybe the 549 price that is taxed and and in that case you would pay a net difference of 25 dollars (80-55 = 25). So rather than 7 months, you get 3 months ($7 (TEP) *3 (months) = 21). In 3 Months if they can't fix the problem, they should be out of business and in the cell phone world, 3 months is a quarter of a year, which is LONG in the cell phone market these days. (Clarification - As you will read through the posts below this statement is more of an effect on people from California due the state tax laws and may not apply to other states - Happy AERO?.)

The math is there guys. PLEASE do not take this as an attack on Best Buy. I am merely stating my 2 cents. Take it or leave it but PLEASE READ THIS!!!
    Last edited by reyrey127; 05/21/2009 at 06:21 PM.
    that was a good read... I thought the TEP covered the phone regardless of where it is purchased.... i would assume that is why Best BUy offers their protection as well
    Global Posts
    815 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by reyrey127 View Post
    What people DO NOT know or forget is that even though Sprint has it for 549 for the retail price, BESTBUY will markup that price to possibly 250 dollars more, making it 799. Guess which price you will be paying tax for?? Exactly, 749!!! That is how Best Buy makes their money since MIR are not real money makers unless the consumer forgets and does not follow up.
    You're telling me I'm going to pay 2x as much in sales tax if I buy the phone at BB vs Sprint store? I've never bought a phone at BB, so just curious.

I guess in recent studies most consumers do not follow up on MIR.
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by reyrey127 View Post
    I urge those who go to Best Buy to NOT go to Best Buy only because of my experience. Don't get me wrong Best Buy is fine but there are 2 reasons I would avoid it if possible. I am not a Sprint or Best Buy employee, just a consumer watching out for us little guys.

1. The quality of their Pre shipment vs the quality of the Pre shipment to Sprint stores. Sprint tends to get the newer shipment and are more willing to change out phones bought from the sprint store if there was a known or possibly known defect to the device. I have had problems changing out my Touch Pro at a Sprint store since they claimed I had not purchased from either Telesales or an authorized Sprint store. The reason I had problems was because even though I bought in late Feb and early March, I still had a late October build phone from the previous year which had numerous problems that were fixed later next year in the January builds. Unfortunately Sprint stores does NOT honor Best Buy phones so I was stuck exchanging at Best Buy for the same ****ty phones (older built). YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR I suppose. I do not blame Best Buy since their shipment was probably given to them by the direction of Sprint.

2 The list price. What people DO NOT know or forget is that even though Sprint has it for 549 for the retail price, BESTBUY will markup that price to possibly 250 dollars more, making it 799. Guess which price you will be paying tax for?? Exactly, 749!!! That is how Best Buy makes their money since MIR are not real money makers unless the consumer forgets and does not follow up. I find the MIR at Sprint to be fine since you can always track it. I rather have the safety net of being able to go to Sprint to switch out for a newer build phone than go back to Best Buy and deal with the early build phones. I believe sprint taxes are different since their tax price is the 299 price (before MIR), meaning rather than (assuming 10% tax) 30 dollars, you are paying 80 dollars at Best Buy, 50 dollar more net difference without the hassle of a MIR. Being that i am a PENNY PINCHER, I can use that 50 dollar and get TEP for 7 months and then cancel since by that time I can get a new phone with the early BUGS fixed and very easily (from what I have read) go into a Sprint store and change it out and go home and play with my BRAND new phone (BUG free hopefully). BUT if i am mistaken about the taxes and it maybe the 549 price that is taxed and and in that case you would pay a net difference of 25 dollars (80-55 = 25). So rather than 7 months, you get 3 months ($7 (TEP) *3 (months) = 21). In 3 Months if they can't fix the problem, they should be out of business and in the cell phone world, 3 months is a quarter of a year, which is LONG in the cell phone market these days.

The math is there guys. PLEASE do not take this as an attack on Best Buy. I am merely stating my 2 cents. Take it or leave it but PLEASE READ THIS!!!
    Best Buy makes their money on taxes? I think that goes to the state and I don't have any state taxes, so I'm cool.
    im going to sprint for the sole reason that i can bill to account
    Best Buy makes their money on taxes? I think that goes to the state and I don't have any state taxes, so I'm cool.

Grasshoper,
    If your like me and live in Tejas we dont pay any state income taxes (believe me they make up for it in property taxes). However we all pay sales tax that is set by your local municipality.
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    Well, part of this argument is moot. Best Buy has confirmed $199 price...

Best Buy FTW; confirms $199 Palm Pre price sans-MIR : Boy Genius Report
    True. Best Buy always charges higher taxes than Sprint does. On the higher end phones it makes quite a difference. If you purchase from Sprint online they can bill to most accounts. I've had varying experiences in Sprint stores regarding billing to accounts since some associates will say they cannot bill to accounts while other associates will do it with no questions asked.
    Phone history with Sprint since April 2001: Kyocera QCP-2035, LG Touchpoint 1100, Samsung i500, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Treo 755p, HTC Mogul, Blackberry 8830, Samsung A900M, Motorola ic902, Blackberry Curve 8330, Samsung Instinct, HTC Touch, Treo 800w, Touch Diamond, Touch Pro, Motorola i9, Treo Pro (personal)/Iphone 3G 16GB (gone to make room for Pre), Palm Pre, blackberry tour, iPhone 3GS 32GB
    Quote Originally Posted by dtokarz View Post
    Well, part of this argument is moot. Best Buy has confirmed $199 price...

Best Buy FTW; confirms $199 Palm Pre price sans-MIR : Boy Genius Report
    The problem is that tax is not figured on the 199 price but rather, as an earlier poster stated, Best Buy's ridiculously inflated "retail" price. I understand that they do this to discourage anyone from buying without a contract since they make little to zero money without a contract.
    Phone history with Sprint since April 2001: Kyocera QCP-2035, LG Touchpoint 1100, Samsung i500, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Treo 755p, HTC Mogul, Blackberry 8830, Samsung A900M, Motorola ic902, Blackberry Curve 8330, Samsung Instinct, HTC Touch, Treo 800w, Touch Diamond, Touch Pro, Motorola i9, Treo Pro (personal)/Iphone 3G 16GB (gone to make room for Pre), Palm Pre, blackberry tour, iPhone 3GS 32GB
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bartman0531 View Post

Grasshoper,
    If your like me and live in Tejas we dont pay any state income taxes (believe me they make up for it in property taxes). However we all pay sales tax that is set by your local municipality.
    Are you saying I pay sales tax? I don't. No sales tax in NH.

Edit: Sorry, I didn't see you ask if I lived in Texas.
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by xchpstang View Post
    The problem is that tax is not figured on the 199 price but rather, as an earlier poster stated, Best Buy's ridiculously inflated "retail" price. I understand that they do this to discourage anyone from buying without a contract since they make little to zero money without a contract.
    I don't see the logic, how does the higher taxes discourage anyone from buying without a contract?
    That is interesting, considering that Best Buy and RadioShack are authorized dealers for Sprint. I wouldnt allow them to give me that answer. If I pay Sprint that monthly fee (especially if i had the insurance), then they are going to service it!
    the last phone i bought from sprint, tax was charged on the total b4 the MIR, and i just checked my last BB receipt for my wife's Pro... the only charged tax on the price of the phone.... must be an area thing....
    So my total would come out to $249.10 then, right?
    $199 (phone) + $36 (activation fee) + $14.10 (6% sales tax in FL)

I have no problem with that. As long as I get my phone & don't have to wait 3 months to get my $100 back.
    Follow Me On

Quote Originally Posted by udratherbme View Post
    that was a good read... I thought the TEP covered the phone regardless of where it is purchased.... i would assume that is why Best BUy offers their protection as well
    I purchased my Treo Pro through Best Buy and was able to get the TEP added. But the DID try to get me to get their plan instead. They didn't try to push it on me, but just made me aware of it. I said no and they didn't push.

Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    Quote Originally Posted by udratherbme View Post
    the last phone i bought from sprint, tax was charged on the total b4 the MIR, and i just checked my last BB receipt for my wife's Pro... the only charged tax on the price of the phone.... must be an area thing....
    It does vary by state. I dont have a list of what states charge sales tax based on the pre rebate price, does anyone else?
    When I called Best Buy (an hour ago) they were clueless about EVERYTHING - didn't know when the phone would arrive, didn't know the price, didn't know SQUAT. I'll go to the Sprint store, thankyou - and deal with someone who at least HALF knows what he's talking about - and I will get my rebate filed the same day, and I will get the rebate check in about 2-3 months, like I always have. Done.
    Quote Originally Posted by dave75 View Post
    Are you saying I pay sales tax? I don't. No sales tax in NH.

Edit: Sorry, I didn't see you ask if I lived in Texas.
    No sales tax in Oregon either - at least not yet.....

Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    If you get your phone at Best Buy for $199.99 they can't charge you tax on $549.99. I don't think that's legal. You should look into that before you make that claim.
    Quote Originally Posted by furreverdad View Post
    When I called Best Buy (an hour ago) they were clueless about EVERYTHING - didn't know when the phone would arrive, didn't know the price, didn't know SQUAT. I'll go to the Sprint store, thankyou - and deal with someone who at least HALF knows what he's talking about - and I will get my rebate filed the same day, and I will get the rebate check in about 2-3 months, like I always have. Done.
    I hope they remain clueless enough so they start selling the Pre BEFORE June 6th. I got a Treo Pro 6 days before it went on sale through Sprint. I can only hope that history will repeat itself.....

Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast