Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    The first phone I brought on my own was from Best Buy (I was 19). That phone was the BEST phone I've ever own. I have other phones now but that phone was a juggernaut. I dropped it in so many places. It got wet several times, dropped and got a little dent, even dropped in the train tracks in NYC in the dirty water and still worked. The only reason I ever upgraded because I wanted a PDA phone or otherwise I would have kept it. It was a Sanyo (before bluetooth on cell phones) so it was dated for sure.

So in my personal experience Best Buy phones are just as good as Sprint phones. The reps even called me when I brought my second phone from them two years ago and ask me was everything okay. Do I have any issues with the phone. Plus they both times around did number swap. Back a few years ago you use to get charged for it but Best Buy was doing it for free. Since my first phone was an oldie, I couldn't use bluetooth to swap from one phone to another.
    Quote Originally Posted by dbarrett5381 View Post
    Is this new? Because it hasn't been my experience in the past. I have just taken phones to the repair center and they fix it there if they can or they order a refurb and it takes a couple days doesn't matter where I bought it.
    I did have TEP though, so maybe that makes a difference.
    Bingo

TEP is more than just Asurion. I have always had my phones insured with TEP, and have had to return several of them to Sprint, including two instances of cracked screens. In all but one instance, they were fixed on site with $0 deductable. The one instance was when my wife dropped her Centro in our front yard and it was picked up by a stranger - Paid the $50 for a full replacement.

I went through a couple of 700p's that would not read my memory card. After the second one, they replaced it with a 755p.

We did just cancel our TEP, but that's only because the deductible has gone up so much, and we're really down to a Centro until June 6th. When I get the Pre, I will pick TEP up on it, and use the 755p as a replacement if/when my wife's phone has problems. When she gets a new WebOS phone, she'll have TEP on it.
    Jeez, the crap you read on the internets.

The sad thing is, people actually thanked the originator of this thread!
    Funny thing is my local bestbuys (3 of them actually) don't pick up there phones, so i couldnt confirm this for lower Ny ... Sucks because I wanted to see if there was a waiting list ...

According to the 1800bestbuy # the rep said they wont know how much they are charging until next week (1 week before launch) which actually would be this Sat but whose counting ...
    Quote Originally Posted by reyrey127 View Post
    1. Quality of Phones. Based on my experience with the Touch Pro, I bought in Feb or March, and during that time I received an older built phone.
    Based on my experience you get the same or newer with best buy.
    2. Switching out phones. If you are in California, I say we meet up and go together the Sprint stores that denied me switching out my BB phone with one of their phones.
    That is demonstrably false.

3. Taxes. Like I said from my experience and even one person commented on this, we were taxed based on the BB retail price not the Sprint retail price.
    the comment of the other person actually countered what you said.

Best buy doesn not tax on the stated list price of the phone if you buy it at discount. You always pay the same tax or less when going through best buy for reasons the rest of us have noted (and can see on our receipts).

4. Returning item. Young grasshopper Sprint allows 30 DAYS to change out your phone along with BB without any hassle. After the 30 DAYS you are locked in to the contract. So if you can't return before 30 DAYS you are screwed either way!!!?!?!! Am I mistaken???
    Tis is why the sprint rebate takes 60 days.
    5. BB Points. I have to agree you might have gotten me there since I do not know of the BB rewards point. How many points do you need to get 10 dollars... I have no clue. BUT if it will save me the hassle of just returning my phone to Sprint and getting a newer batch phone, I would do it at Sprint. But even if you save $10 in POINTS, you are essentially still saving 6.50 (16.50-10) or 1 month TEP if you go to a Sprint Store. right???
    I dont know where you get $16.50- $10

I am not "flaming you". There are three or four reasons why best buy is marginally better than getting it at sprint, and zero reasons why sprint is better.

In most states most people will pay 33% less tax at best buy ($200 vs $300) in no states will you pay more in tax for buying at best buy.

Best buy has rewards. on a phone purchase this is going to be about $10 or more depending on promotions.

Your savings is instant not mail in. This saves a) present value of your money; b) time in filling out rebate and possible need to follow up c) risk of rebate problems (rare with sprint but not zero risk)

Best buy has price guarantee.
    Umm... How can you price match when both FINAL PRICE IS 199 w/ contract. You do the math. THE FINAL cost is 199 for both BB and SPRINT!! You cant price match.
    umm because in consumer electronics prices drop all the time. Sprint phone prices drop all the time. likely to occur in the first month or two of release? no. but generally when buying a sprint phone there is a fair chance it will drop in price within a month
    In my experiences with bestbuy usually the new phones when first released are the cheapest, slowly going up in price as it gains popularity, than dropping severely when no-one wants it, or everyone already has it ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Carioca_FL View Post
    Not true. You have authorized dealers/resellers (usually kiosks in the mall or stores that sell other carriers), those are privately-owned. The retail Sprint stores are corporate-owned and their workers are Sprint employees.
    That is no longer true at all.
    In my city there are five "Sprint Stores" listed on the Sprint locator site. Each one of them looks identical. Each one of them only sells sprint. Exactly two are owned by Sprint. Everyone in those stores wears "sprint" shirts. These stores were formerly owned by Sprint and sold off. Sprint did this with many stores.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carioca_FL View Post
    Well yes, of course. I guess his point is that, if you do need any handset support from Sprint, your experience will vary depending where the handset was purchased from.
    But that is 100% false. Sprint -- and their stores -- will make zero distinction on support if you buy it at best buy.

Let's stop the misinformation. Any Sprint employee will verify this.

Fact: If you buy it at best buy, and have any issues whatsoever Sprint and its stores will give you the identical support as if you bought it from them.
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    But that is 100% false. Sprint -- and their stores -- will make zero distinction on support if you buy it at best buy.

Fact: If you buy it at best buy, and have any issues whatsoever Sprint and its stores will give you the identical support as if you bought it from them.
    do you wear a little blue shirt and a name tag to work?
    My response...

2. Does Sprint replace BB phones??
    The answer to this is ONLY if you have TEP. Even with TEP and you have a BB phone, I was told that they would send it out and most likely I would get a reburb one.
    This might vary by store or employee then. I had problems with my Pro (bought at BB) after I did my first backup on it (would not go past the WM screen). I went straight to a Sprint store. They took care of it and told me to take it home and test it for 24 hours. I asked if they had any additional Pro's in stock just in case I experienced the same problem again. The guy told me that he had only one in stock, but that he would hold it for 24 hours while I made sure that my phone was up and running. He said that if I had any problems just to take it back and he would give me the other phone.

I had no additional problems with mine so I just called back the next morning and told him to go ahead and sell the extra phone if he had to. This was on the weekend the Pro was released.
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi

Actually as someone who has had plenty of problems with her current phone and brought it from ebay I concur. Take it for what it's worth though.
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jcunwired View Post
    Jeez, the crap you read on the internets.

The sad thing is, people actually thanked the originator of this thread!

Wow, I can't believe you got thanked. PERHAPS my experience was store to store, but please if you do not believe me call SPRINT yourself and ask if they can switch out phones for you if you bought it at BB. The answer will be no unless you find some newbie. I know because I called SPRINT.

If you have TEP as I SAID EARLIER, they will fix it or send it to Asurion. They will not REPLACE or EXCHANGE it on the spot unless you bought it from Sprint. This was my experience and the response I got from the SPRINT stores in California. To those that live in smaller rural areas where there is not a SPRINT store a mile apart IT MAY BE DIFFERENT.

ALL my numbers are based on the fact that you will be charged the retail price for tax when you purchase at BB (749). AERO if you can't understand the math I can show you to a calculator and walk you through it.

I feel like the people calling me names and a liar work for BB. If you guys are from BB, to tell you the truth I already did my part by INFORMING the consumer about what to watch out for. So at least they will think twice since they saw my post.

QUALITY OF PHONES. Like I said earlier it can vary, I did not say ALL phones were bad from BB but if their were minor defects you can switch it out at BB no problem, but not at SPRINT.
    BB tends to have the earlier shipment of phones than Sprint, since SPRINT gets continually new batches WHILE BB must sell all their shipment first through allocation of existing shipments that other BB stores CANNOT sell.
    After the 30 day trial period, it is no longer in the hands of SPRINT or BB, it is either through TEP or manufacturer warranty. I AM NOT SAYING you lose the manufacturer warranty, THAT IS ALWAYS THERE. I am saying within the 30 day trial period exchanging it at a SPRINT store when you have a BB phone is unlikely.

AERO, seriously I think you do not understand. I AM SAYING that if you bought your phone at BB, you CANNOT exchange at SPRINT STORE. Does that make sense. You can get it fixed at a Sprint store if you have TEP or they might send it to Asurion and if they can't fix it they will send you a new or refurb. SPRINT DOES MAKE A DISTINCTION between SPRINT purchased phones and BEST BUY. EVERYTHING (INCLUDING SUPPORT) IS THE SAME EXCEPT EXCHANGES OR REPLACEMENTS AT A SPRINT STORE!!!! If you want to RETURN you can do it at BB or Sprint or the place you purchased it. SUPPORT is the same, I never said it was different, but exchanges is a NONO... I bet a NEW PRE on that (only in California)

MEROVINGIAN, I am not saying you can't get it FIXED at Sprint or the MANUFACTURER. When I said CHANGING out it means EXCHANGING. I was within my 30 days and they would not exchange it for me because I had bought it from BB. IF I HAD TEP, they would either fix it on the spot or SEND it to ASURION. OR I coudl send it to the manufacturer. Perhaps I was not clear. Was I not. I can change it at BB but they have the early shipped phones which DID NOT fix my defect, but SPRINT had the new phones that fixed it...

*sigh* I wanted to inform consumers, yet I get attacked with them saying my experience is false. How would you know my experience was false...?? WHOEVER is in CALIFORNIA and does not understand my issue or does not believe, I will bet a NEW PRE that I am right. You want to take this bet???
    Here's some more info on paying tax on retail and not the cost of the phone.
    AT&T Taxes on retail value of phone, not cost

http://howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1518670
    What are the chances of getting one from best buy prior to release date in past they sold them earlier.

Fred
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    do you wear a little blue shirt and a name tag to work?
    What are you talking about?
    If you have TEP as I SAID EARLIER, they will fix it or send it to Asurion. They will not REPLACE or EXCHANGE it on the spot unless you bought it from Sprint.
    100% wrong.
    Sprint will service and replace-- for free -- ANY phone within one year warranty for first year if it is not damaged by user.
    They will service or exchange it on the spot no questions asked if you buy form any authorized seller (and apparently, in practice, unauthorized ones as well).
    That is written sprint policy.
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    THANK YOU FOR PROVING MY POINT!!!!!

This is exactly what happened to me at BB in CA. AERO I am done with you, you are well done and just got served...

Aero, do some research... Thanks Turborexx...
    100% wrong.
    Sprint will service and replace-- for free -- ANY phone within one year warranty for first year if it is not damaged by user.
    They will service or exchange it on the spot no questions asked if you buy form any authorized seller (and apparently, in practice, unauthorized ones as well).
    That is written sprint policy.
    I think you are misunderstanding. I think he means sprint will not take back a phone within the first 30 days if bought at bestbuy, and your intentions was to just swap out the phone . Would they work on it and give you support if there is a problem, yes of course they would. But you might get a refurb as they dont have to give you a brand new phone since you didn't purchase the phone from them.
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mild Mannered View Post
    I think you are misunderstanding. I think he means sprint will not take back a phone within the first 30 days if bought at bestbuy, and your intentions was to just swap out the phone . Would they work on it and give you support if there is a problem, yes of course they would. But you might get a refurb as they dont have to give you a brand new phone since you didn't purchase the phone from them.

EXACTLY!! Thank you.
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast