Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by reyrey127 View Post
    Like I said if you dont like that thinking, how about this one.

Assume 8.25 %

You buy from Sprint paying a tax of 45.30 (549 retail) instead of the BB retail of 749. You save 16.50, which is 2 months TEP for $7 a month.
    WTF. If you are talkling about buying it at full retail you are now worse at best buy anyway. Do you know why?!?!

Because Best buy has a price match policy (indeed at any time within 30 days)! If Best buy lists the Pre for $800 and Sprint is selling it for $549 Best buy will sell it to you for $549.

here is the real math since 99% of these will be sold at the discounted prices:

Sprint sales tax $300 x 8.25 = $24.75
    Best Buy Sales Tax $200 x 8.25 = $16.50
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    Bull.

Your whole post is bull.

Instant rebates are equivalent of a mark down. Mail in rebates are not.

You have it exactly backwards.
    +2
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    No offense but you are wrong on your facts and conclusion.

There is zero difference in quality of phone shipped to Best buy. They ahve the same average build dates as well. to say otherwise is untrue.

There is zero difference in swapping out your phone at a sprint store whether you bought it at a sprint store or Best buy if you have a problem. They don't care at all. (you do realize most sprint stores are not owned by sprint, right?)

The taxes if any different will be less at Best Buy, your net cost will be less at best buy.
    In most states you are taxes on mail in rebates but not taxed on instant rebates .

My last sprint purchases I was charged sales taxes on $100 mail in rebate whereas with my Sprint purchase at Best buy was taxed an the amount after the instant rebate, ie less tax at best buy.

No offense but you are spreading misinformation of the kind pitched by Sprint store salesmen. I don;t blame them, but they will say anything to get a sale, including the full set of incorrect information in your post.

You are also forgetting that returning is easier at best buy since you don;t have the rebate problem.

On top of that your purchases at best buy accrue to reward points. A $200 purchase is worth around $10

I think calling my information false is very premature. This was my experience and as I had mentioned MY EXPERIENCE. You can buy from Best Buy if you like or Sprint, personally it is up to you.

I will comment on everything you said:

1. Quality of Phones. Based on my experience with the Touch Pro, I bought in Feb or March, and during that time I received an older built phone. I asked why, and BB told me that was the shipment they had. Please see PPCGeeks.com on the problems with the HTC Touch Pro and how the issues were resolved in the January or later build models. BB did not have these models since they got what Sprint gave them. I AGREE the same batches are sent to Sprint as Best Buy, but receiving NEWER shipments is definitely Sprint stores first. Not all Touch Pros had problems but a good majority did and they broke it down by MSID numbers.

2. Switching out phones. If you are in California, I say we meet up and go together the Sprint stores that denied me switching out my BB phone with one of their phones. They (more than 1 store) claimed that if it was purchased at a Sprint store that I could easily do this, but since it was a BB phone, I would have to go through EITHER 1. BB (within 30 days) or 2. Aurion or 3. they try to fix it. Perhaps all the stores that told me this were lying but I DOUBT they were not.

3. Taxes. Like I said from my experience and even one person commented on this, we were taxed based on the BB retail price not the Sprint retail price. I guarentee this is the issue in California, based on my experience. Assuming what I am saying is correct how can tax be less if Sprint taxes me on 549 as opposed to 749 from BB, unless you are a mathmatician with a new derivative for MULTIPLICATION?? Sorry I had to throw that in there.

4. Returning item. Young grasshopper Sprint allows 30 DAYS to change out your phone along with BB without any hassle. After the 30 DAYS you are locked in to the contract. So if you can't return before 30 DAYS you are screwed either way!!!?!?!! Am I mistaken???

5. BB Points. I have to agree you might have gotten me there since I do not know of the BB rewards point. How many points do you need to get 10 dollars... I have no clue. BUT if it will save me the hassle of just returning my phone to Sprint and getting a newer batch phone, I would do it at Sprint. But even if you save $10 in POINTS, you are essentially still saving 6.50 (16.50-10) or 1 month TEP if you go to a Sprint Store. right???

Anyways I am not here to ARGUE with you, I am merely stating my opinions and experience. But in California, this was my experience. Thanks.

I am just trying to help the little guy not get screwed. So if you want BB go for it. I AM HERE TO HELP not FALSE ADVERTISE FOR ANYTHING OR ANYONE!!! Dont FLAME ON ME.
    WTF. If you are talkling about buying it at full retail you are now worse at best buy anyway. Do you know why?!?!

Because Best buy has a price match policy (indeed at any time within 30 days)! If Best buy lists the Pre for $800 and Sprint is selling it for $549 Best buy will sell it to you for $549.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm, common sense says Best Buy

Thanks Aero
    No offense rayray127, but if you plan on dropping knowledge make sure you pick it up first.
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts

Umm... How can you price match when both FINAL PRICE IS 199 w/ contract. You do the math. THE FINAL cost is 199 for both BB and SPRINT!! You cant price match.

But tax is still based on their retail PRICE.

SPRINT RETAIL = 549
    BB RETAIL = 749

549 * .0825 = 45.30
    749 * .0825 = 61.80

So who is more expensive EINSTEIN!!?!?!!

OF course this is assuming their tax is based on their retail price, which I believe it is...
    Last edited by reyrey127; 05/20/2009 at 03:20 PM.
    Yes I could have gone back to BB, but all 8 or 9 of the stores I called had OLD batches of HTC Touch Pro. How did they know and how did I find out?? I went to a Sprint store and asked for the new phone demo (January built), and looked at the MSID number and compared it with the other phones at BB. If it had a later number, it was the later build phones. I spent ALOT OF TIME dealing with this, so trust me I KNOW!!
    Doesn't sound like it--since the MSID has absolutely NOTHING to do with the actual phone. It's your account info that has to be loaded ON TO the phone.
    I think calling my information false is very premature. This was my experience and as I had mentioned MY EXPERIENCE. You can buy from Best Buy if you like or Sprint, personally it is up to you.

1. Quality of Phones. Based on my experience with the Touch Pro, I bought in Feb or March, and during that time I received an older built phone. I asked why, and BB told me that was the shipment they had. Please see PPCGeeks.com on the problems with the HTC Touch Pro and how the issues were resolved in the January or later build models. BB did not have these models since they got what Sprint gave them. I AGREE the same batches are sent to Sprint as Best Buy, but receiving NEWER shipments is definitely Sprint stores first. Not all Touch Pros had problems but a good majority did and they broke it down by MSID numbers.

2. Switching out phones. If you are in California, I say we meet up and go together the Sprint stores that denied me switching out my BB phone with one of their phones. They (more than 1 store) claimed that if it was purchased at a Sprint store that I could easily do this, but since it was a BB phone, I would have to go through EITHER 1. BB (within 30 days) or 2. Aurion or 3. they try to fix it. Perhaps all the stores that told me this were lying but I DOUBT they were not.

3. Taxes. Like I said from my experience and even one person commented on this, we were taxed based on the BB retail price not the Sprint retail price. I guarentee this is the issue in California, based on my experience. Assuming what I am saying is correct how can tax be less if Sprint taxes me on 549 as opposed to 749 from BB, unless you are a mathmatician with a new derivative for MULTIPLICATION?? Sorry I had to throw that in there.

4. Returning item. Young grasshopper Sprint allows 30 DAYS to change out your phone along with BB without any hassle. After the 30 DAYS you are locked in to the contract. So if you can't return before 30 DAYS you are screwed either way!!!?!?!! Am I mistaken???

5. BB Points. I have to agree you might have gotten me there since I do not know of the BB rewards point. How many points do you need to get 10 dollars... I have no clue. BUT if it will save me the hassle of just returning my phone to Sprint and getting a newer batch phone, I would do it at Sprint. But even if you save $10 in POINTS, you are essentially still saving 6.50 (16.50-10) or 1 month TEP if you go to a Sprint Store. right???

Anyways I am not here to ARGUE with you, I am merely stating my opinions and experience. But in California, this was my experience. Thanks.

I am just trying to help the little guy not get screwed. So if you want BB go for it. I AM HERE TO HELP not FALSE ADVERTISE FOR ANYTHING OR ANYONE!!! Dont FLAME ON ME.
    The newer batch argument does not matter in this situation. EVERY one of the palm pre's that are sold on opening day will have the same hardware and same software. Further down the road, there may be an instance where sprint would get phones with updated software before bestbuy, but it is a moot point for the ones you would get on opening day.

As far as returning a phone to Bestbuy before the 30 days is up, what does it matter whether you have to take it to best buy or a sprint store as long as it gets exchanged? After the 30 days sprint will cover it. I don't see what the problem is here?
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by imthatguy704 View Post
    Hmmmmmmmmmmm, common sense says Best Buy

Thanks Aero
    No offense rayray127, but if you plan on dropping knowledge make sure you pick it up first.
    Please understand what I am saying before agreeing with Aero.

I wonder if he even knows why it was 8.25% for tax or why it is not 8.25% anymore.

Take it with a grain of salt if you like, but calling me a liar or names is just childish.
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dbarrett5381 View Post
    The newer batch argument does not matter in this situation. EVERY one of the palm pre's that are sold on opening day will have the same hardware and same software. Further down the road, there may be an instance where sprint would get phones with updated software before bestbuy, but it is a moot point for the ones you would get on opening day.

As far as returning a phone to Bestbuy before the 30 days is up, what does it matter whether you have to take it to best buy or a sprint store as long as it gets exchanged. After the 30 days sprint will cover it. I don't see what the problem is here?
    There is no problem, AERO was saying it was easier to return at BB.... your comment just agreed with me....

Thank you.
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ScrapMaker View Post
    Doesn't sound like it--since the MSID has absolutely NOTHING to do with the actual phone. It's your account info that has to be loaded ON TO the phone.
    MSID number indicates the build date. I guarentee this as well. The later the MSID number the later the build date.

When I had a touch PRO, HTC support verfied this.

Thank you.
    There is no problem, AERO was saying it was easier to return at BB.... your comment just agreed with me....

Thank you.
    I wasn't agreeing with you...you said to buy from the sprint store because if you buy from bestbuy you can't return it to the sprint store within the first 30 days, which is true, but you CAN return it to best buy. So I don't see why this warrants buying from the Sprint store. After the first 30 days you can return it to the sprint store. You said older software or hardware revisions were the problem, but you could have just waited 30 days and then sprint would have exchanged it for a newer one if you were having problems. I still don't see how this warrants paying 100$ more to buy from the sprint store.
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    I wasn't agreeing with you...you said to buy from the sprint store because if you buy from bestbuy you can't return it to the sprint store within the first 30 days, which is true, but you CAN return it to best buy. So I don't see why this warrants buying from the Sprint store. After the first 30 days you can return it to the sprint store. You said older software or hardware revisions were the problem, but you could have just waited 30 days and then sprint would have exchanged it for a newer one if you were having problems. I still don't see how this warrants paying 100$ more to buy from the sprint store.
    Wow... what I am saying is that it is easier to return to Sprint ONLY if you want to replace it with a newer batch phone (this may not apply to pre launch) within 30 days. If you bought it from BB you cannot return it to Sprint and get a newer batch phone, you would need to go through the following steps I mentioned earlier. YOU CAN RETURN, but NOT EXCHANGE. That is my point.

I am calling your experience false because it's YOUR EXPERIENCE. The first I have ever heard of. I'm not arguing either, BUT I will address a topic when I feel there has been some lack of communication on one's part.

1. Quality of Phones
    I might give you this one only because @ my local Sprint store they have a repair center in the back. My guy gets shipment after shipment of phones in. Only because it's one of the main Sprint repair stores here in CLT. And, they constantly need phones in order to general public from causing chaos down here in the Promenade.

2. Switching out phones
    You can't buy Lord of the ring 3 from Blockbuster and try to return it to Hollywood Video. As I have stated before
    Sprint will fix and/or replace your phone no matter where you bought it. *NOTE* TEP on your account will cover the charges for maintenence and/or replacement if necessary. If no TEP, then you will come out of pocket unless you know somebody.

3. Taxes
    I don't stay in CA, but it seems like fuzzy math to me.

4. Returning an item
    LOL, you tried to return a phone that you bought at BB at four different Sprint stores................(really)

5. BB points
    More fuzzy math huh. Just get TEP.
    (you do realize most sprint stores are not owned by sprint, right?)
    Not true. You have authorized dealers/resellers (usually kiosks in the mall or stores that sell other carriers), those are privately-owned. The retail Sprint stores are corporate-owned and their workers are Sprint employees.

As far as returning a phone to Bestbuy before the 30 days is up, what does it matter whether you have to take it to best buy or a sprint store as long as it gets exchanged? After the 30 days sprint will cover it. I don't see what the problem is here?
    [strike]Not true also. If you bought the phone anywhere else but at Sprint, if after 30 days your phone needs repair, (provided you have TEP), instead of doing a swap right then and there, they'll send to Asurion for repair.[/strike]
    Last edited by Carioca_FL; 05/20/2009 at 04:07 PM.
    I have lost about 20 IQ points trying to get the OP to realize why parts of his arguement don't make sense.

Bottom line: At the end of the day it doesn't matter whether you buy the phone from Bestbuy or Sprint as long as you enjoy your Pre!
    Please understand what I am saying before agreeing with Aero.

I wonder if he even knows why it was 8.25% for tax or why it is not 8.25% anymore.

Take it with a grain of salt if you like, but calling me a liar or names is just childish.
    Get it right!!!!
    I never said you were a liar nor did I call you a silly wabbit. I called your statement false because that's not how BB runs their respected business. What happend in your situation may have been true, but none the less it's not how BB runs.

*NOTE*
    Last time I checked I am a grown man..............if I concur with someone else's opinions about something then I will voice my opinions as well. We are on this forum to help educate and enlighten one another.
    I have lost about 20 IQ points trying to get the OP to realize why parts of his arguement don't make sense.
    Well, then we're now in the negative territory.

I keed, I keed!
    Bottom line: At the end of the day it doesn't matter whether you buy the phone from Bestbuy or Sprint as long as you enjoy your Pre!
    Well yes, of course. I guess his point is that, if you do need any handset support from Sprint, your experience will vary depending where the handset was purchased from.

What I don't get is how passionate some of us get when discussing online.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carioca_FL View Post
    Not true. You have authorized dealers/resellers (usually kiosks in the mall or stores that sell other carriers), those are privately-owned. The retail Sprint stores are corporate-owned and their workers are Sprint employees.

Not true also. If you bought the phone anywhere else but at Sprint, if after 30 days your phone needs repair, (provided you have TEP), instead of doing a swap right then and there, they'll send to Asurion for repair.
    Is this new? Because it hasn't been my experience in the past. I have just taken phones to the repair center and they fix it there if they can or they order a refurb and it takes a couple days doesn't matter where I bought it. I one time bought a Mogul off ebay and about 3 weeks after I bought it I cracked the screen and they just replaced the phone for me right there. Never asked where I bought it. I did have TEP though, so maybe that makes a difference.
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by furreverdad View Post
    When I called Best Buy (an hour ago) they were clueless about EVERYTHING - didn't know when the phone would arrive, didn't know the price, didn't know SQUAT. I'll go to the Sprint store, thankyou - and deal with someone who at least HALF knows what he's talking about - and I will get my rebate filed the same day, and I will get the rebate check in about 2-3 months, like I always have. Done.
    Must be your particular Best Buy. Did you talk to someone in their Cell Phone Department? I just went to the one on the NW side of San Antonio & was pleasantly surprised how much he (I only talked to one sales rep) knew about the phone. He knew the release date, knew the price, never heard of charging sales tax except on the price, verified the instant rebate, said it would be no problem setting up all the contacts, etc. & the Sprint Plan. He did say that, though the Best Buy insurance plan costs $3 more per month, there is no deductible (vs $100 at Sprint), they give you a loaner phone, etc.

I also called Sprint today to ask general questions (trying to decide where to buy, which plan to use, & bringing over my Niece & Nephew to Sprint for the Pre. Again, very pleasant, not as all knowing, BUT anything she didn't know, she got the answer for me so all my questions were resolved prior to getting off the phone.

BTW, she said I would get $25-$50 for each new account I brought to Sprint. Before we hung up, she gave me a $70 credit for renewing my 2 year contract w/Sprint. This on top of just renewing at the end of April in order to get 1 month free & an extra $15 credit. I confirmed the contract is only for 2 years vs 2+2=4 years.

Overall, it has been a very good day.

Cheers
    I urge those who go to Best Buy to NOT go to Best Buy only because of my experience. Don't get me wrong Best Buy is fine but there are 2 reasons I would avoid it if possible. I am not a Sprint or Best Buy employee, just a consumer watching out for us little guys.

1. The quality of their Pre shipment vs the quality of the Pre shipment to Sprint stores. Sprint tends to get the newer shipment and are more willing to change out phones bought from the sprint store if there was a known or possibly known defect to the device. I have had problems changing out my Touch Pro at a Sprint store since they claimed I had not purchased from either Telesales or an authorized Sprint store. The reason I had problems was because even though I bought in late Feb and early March, I still had a late October build phone from the previous year which had numerous problems that were fixed later next year in the January builds. Unfortunately Sprint stores does NOT honor Best Buy phones so I was stuck exchanging at Best Buy for the same ****ty phones (older built). YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR I suppose. I do not blame Best Buy since their shipment was probably given to them by the direction of Sprint.

2 The list price. What people DO NOT know or forget is that even though Sprint has it for 549 for the retail price, BESTBUY will markup that price to possibly 250 dollars more, making it 799. Guess which price you will be paying tax for?? Exactly, 799!!! That is how Best Buy makes their money since MIR are not real money makers unless the consumer forgets and does not follow up. I find the MIR at Sprint to be fine since you can always track it. I rather have the safety net of being able to go to Sprint to switch out for a newer build phone than go back to Best Buy and deal with the early build phones. I believe sprint taxes are different since their tax price is the 299 price (before MIR), meaning rather than (assuming 10% tax) 30 dollars, you are paying 80 dollars at Best Buy, 50 dollar more net difference without the hassle of a MIR. Being that i am a PENNY PINCHER, I can use that 50 dollar and get TEP for 7 months and then cancel since by that time I can get a new phone with the early BUGS fixed and very easily (from what I have read) go into a Sprint store and change it out and go home and play with my BRAND new phone (BUG free hopefully). BUT if i am mistaken about the taxes and it maybe the 549 price that is taxed and and in that case you would pay a net difference of 25 dollars (80-55 = 25). So rather than 7 months, you get 3 months ($7 (TEP) *3 (months) = 21). In 3 Months if they can't fix the problem, they should be out of business and in the cell phone world, 3 months is a quarter of a year, which is LONG in the cell phone market these days.

The math is there guys. PLEASE do not take this as an attack on Best Buy. I am merely stating my 2 cents. Take it or leave it but PLEASE READ THIS!!!
    Well i'm definitely NOT taking what you're saying because it's moot. Any Sprint phone comes with a 1 year warranty from the manufacturer, so you can have it fixed at a Sprint store or at BBY or directly through the manufacturer.

Secondly, your experience is your experience alone. I could have made an exactly opposite post as yours favouring buying at BBY than with Sprint.

And BBY does not get lesser quality phones than Sprint..gheezzz. They get it from the same place Sprint stores gets them from (ever heard of Brightpoint?). This part of your post did not make any sense to me at all. Any proof aside from your Touch Pro story? If your Touch Pro was acting up, did you contact HTC America directly? Did you? Guess not.

I've bought Sprint phones from BBY and CompUSA and Radioshack (Treos actually) and whenever they had any issues i contact the manufacturer directly or the store i bought it from. I remember when i had a Samsung i300 i got at Radioshack had a problem with the touchscreen a Sprint store was closer to me, i walked in and they got it fixed. Now this was years ago, maybe the rules have changed a bit.

BBY has better prices with contract prices, while Sprint has better prices buying without contract at full price. One more thing your penny pinching arithmetic is just wow. 549 + tax is less than 799 + tax.....nobody could have missed that one. I didn't know that Sprint was now it's own state/country/city/locality/principality where they set their own tax rate.

Me personally, i'm getting my Pre at BBY. I hate dealing with mail in rebates. If it has any issues within a year, i'll contact Palm directly. If i have to pay full price for a Pre then i'll buy from Sprint.
    Last edited by Merovingian; 05/20/2009 at 04:14 PM.
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast