Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Global Posts
    815 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bmore View Post
    If you get your phone at Best Buy for $199.99 they can't charge you tax on $549.99. I don't think that's legal. You should look into that before you make that claim.
    I don't see how this can be legal either, that's why I was wondering.

That would almost be like them charging you sales tax for full price on an item that is currently on sale.
    Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    Im probably going to go sprint store.... Since I will be needing to upgrade my sero plan to a new plan I dont trust best buy to do it right.
    Quote Originally Posted by jagowar View Post
    Im probably going to go sprint store.... Since I will be needing to upgrade my sero plan to a new plan I dont trust best buy to do it right.
    can't you just change it online the night before, or call someone to change it.

i have to change mine so i was just gonna do it the night before online, although im stilll probably going to head to a sprint store
    Quote Originally Posted by ivhs72 View Post
    I hope they remain clueless enough so they start selling the Pre BEFORE June 6th. I got a Treo Pro 6 days before it went on sale through Sprint. I can only hope that history will repeat itself.....

I've heard stories of up to... 2 weeks, i might pass by BB on friday to see what they working w/
    I'm confused about something more fundamental about this whole discussion: how does a merchant supposedly make more money by collecting a higher sales tax? By the definition of being a tax, doesn't it all go to the local, state, or federal government? And if that's true (as I imagine it's illegal for merchants to keep any portion of the tax for themselves), then why would Best Buy do it? Perhaps to earn interest between payouts to the government? And if that tactic made sense, wouldn't other retailers try to do that as well?
    My Palm phones: i500 --> i550 --> 650 --> 700p --> Centro
    Quote Originally Posted by jagowar View Post
    Best Buy was able to activate my Treo Pro on my SERO plan with only a little glitch. They had to call a different number than they usually do, but it went through with no problems. I'm not advocating BB over Sprint, just relating my experience.

Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    I'm confused about something more fundamental about this whole discussion: how does a merchant supposedly make more money by collecting a higher sales tax? By the definition of being a tax, doesn't it all go to the local, state, or federal government? And if that's true (as I imagine it's illegal for merchants to keep any portion of the tax for themselves), then why would Best Buy do it? Perhaps to earn interest between payouts to the government? And if that tactic made sense, wouldn't other retailers try to do that as well?
    Best Buy charged $50 more for the Treo Pro when it came out. They explained the difference was due "their overhead" in carrying the product. But they did price match the Sprint store price if one mentioned it. I don't think taxes had anything to do with it, since the BB stores in both Oregon and Washington were selling them for the same price, and there is no sales tax in Oregon. (And to make it even better, anyone from Oregon who shops in Washington doesn't have to pay Washington sales tax, except on meals in restaurants. That way we can go to up there to get one since everyone near Oregon will be coming down here to avoid their own sales tax.)

Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    Quote Originally Posted by Syphon View Post
    So my total would come out to $249.10 then, right?
    $199 (phone) + $36 (activation fee) + $14.10 (6% sales tax in FL)

I have no problem with that. As long as I get my phone & don't have to wait 3 months to get my $100 back.
    Your activation fee will be billed by Sprint, not by Best Buy.

However if you call Sprint most likely they will waive the activation fee for you.
    [QUOTE=reyrey127;1608983]
    1. The quality of their Pre shipment vs the quality of the Pre shipment to Sprint stores. Sprint tends to get the newer shipment and are more willing to change out phones bought from the sprint store if there was a known or possibly known defect to the device. I have had problems changing out my Touch Pro at a Sprint store since they claimed I had not purchased from either Telesales or an authorized Sprint store. The reason I had problems was because even though I bought in late Feb and early March, I still had a late October build phone from the previous year which had numerous problems that were fixed later next year in the January builds. Unfortunately Sprint stores does NOT honor Best Buy phones so I was stuck exchanging at Best Buy for the same ****ty phones (older built). YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR I suppose. I do not blame Best Buy since their shipment was probably given to them by the direction of Sprint.[?QUOTE]

Sprint will fix and/or exchange a phone(if deemed not fixable) bought anywhere as long as you TEP on your account. If you don't then they will not replace it.

2 The list price. What people DO NOT know or forget is that even though Sprint has it for 549 for the retail price, BESTBUY will markup that price to possibly 250 dollars more, making it 799. Guess which price you will be paying tax for?? Exactly, 799!!! That is how Best Buy makes their money since MIR are not real money makers unless the consumer forgets and does not follow up. I find the MIR at Sprint to be fine since you can always track it. I rather have the safety net of being able to go to Sprint to switch out for a newer build phone than go back to Best Buy and deal with the early build phones. I believe sprint taxes are different since their tax price is the 299 price (before MIR), meaning rather than (assuming 10% tax) 30 dollars, you are paying 80 dollars at Best Buy, 50 dollar more net difference without the hassle of a MIR. Being that i am a PENNY PINCHER, I can use that 50 dollar and get TEP for 7 months and then cancel since by that time I can get a new phone with the early BUGS fixed and very easily (from what I have read) go into a Sprint store and change it out and go home and play with my BRAND new phone (BUG free hopefully). BUT if i am mistaken about the taxes and it maybe the 549 price that is taxed and in that case you would pay a net difference of 25 dollars (80-55 = 25). So rather than 7 months, you get 3 months ($7 (TEP) *3 (months) = 21). In 3 Months if they can't fix the problem, they should be out of business and in the cell phone world, 3 months is a quarter of a year, which is LONG in the cell phone market these days.[?QUOTE]

Yes, it's true BB will jack the price up, BUT the price they are jacking up is the price of the phone w/o a 2-yr contract. The pre is $549 + tax w/o a 2-yr contract. The pre is $199 + tax w/a 2-yr contract(MIR included)

I appreciate your post, BUT there was some truth left out. Now if you didn't know any of info that I've stated then I hope I have helped you out in any way possible.
    If you buy the phone from Best Buy for $199 they will not charge you tax on $799. This is absolutely bogus. You do not honestly believe this do you? I have bought many phones from Best Buy. They are legit and I will be going there first for my pre.
    Global Posts
    238 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by furreverdad View Post
    When I called Best Buy (an hour ago) they were clueless about EVERYTHING - didn't know when the phone would arrive, didn't know the price, didn't know SQUAT. I'll go to the Sprint store, thankyou - and deal with someone who at least HALF knows what he's talking about - and I will get my rebate filed the same day, and I will get the rebate check in about 2-3 months, like I always have. Done.
    Haha, I had the exact opposite happen to me. Stopped at Best Buy first and the guy, although he didn't know for sure if his store would get any or how many yet, he knew about the device and the release date. He was informed about the product. When I stopped at the Sprint store, the guy tried telling me that it was going to be released on the 6th but the store wouldn't be getting them until about a week later probably, that the 6th was just the date that online sales and things would be shipped. The guy was a complete *****. He didn't know anything about stores opening early, training for the Pre, somebody in the store having/getting one as a point person, etc. I also stopped by Radio Shack and it was pretty much the same story as Best Buy. They didn't know much but they seemed enthusiastic and offered to call me when it came in so I could look at it. They said they could just open up a box for me since they won't have a display dummy most likely until after the release. They also said that they will do the MIR the same way as Best Buy, so that's also good news. Considering how dead my Radio Shack always is (I was the only person in there for 20 mins) I think I'll try my luck there on the 6th.

Oh, I tried Walmart too for ****s and giggles, they don't even sell Sprint phones there.
    Quote Originally Posted by bartman0531 View Post
    Best Buy makes their money on taxes? I think that goes to the state and I don't have any state taxes, so I'm cool.

Grasshoper,
    If your like me and live in Tejas we dont pay any state income taxes (believe me they make up for it in property taxes). However we all pay sales tax that is set by your local municipality.
    Actualy, set by a number of different groups (state, city, county, and school district), but no matter who sets it, or the rate, Best Buy doesn't make money off sales tax. It goes to the government agencies.
    Quote Originally Posted by laravia18 View Post
    Your activation fee will be billed by Sprint, not by Best Buy.

However if you call Sprint most likely they will waive the activation fee for you.
    Oh, ok. Can Sprint possibly waive the activation fee even though I will be a brand new customer coming from T-Mobile?
    Follow Me On

Can I take advantage of my Premier early upgrade at a BB store???
    Global Posts
    238 Global Posts
    Oh, Best Buy also said that they can usually transfer your contacts, and he said it was free!
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    My response...

1. Is the charging fee legal??
    I am not sure, but this is what happened to me. When I bought my HTC Touch Pro from BB it was orginally from Sprint (lets say 599 (retail) from Sprint, but BB had it for (lets say 799 (retail)). I was charged on the 799 price for tax BEFORE the instant savings to bring the total down to 299.99 (not including taxes) since I was an upgrade. So total assuming back then it was 8.25%, my total came out to 365.91. The person that sold me the phone told me that everyone does it like this, that we pay for the retail of the phone in taxes, and BB had it for higher. Like I said I believe BB makes their money from this, but again I could be wrong. This was what I thought when all this happened, and it made sense. All I know is that I paid more at the end from BB because of the taxes, where in reality I could have saved and bought TEP for 3 months and cancel it after 3 months since I DID NOT have TEP if I had bought from Sprint. Why would I lie about this?? This is what happened to me.. In California... Unless I got ripped off I don't know then... BUT I GUARENTEE they do not chagre you the 199 tax.. Trust me...

2. Does Sprint replace BB phones??
    The answer to this is ONLY if you have TEP. Even with TEP and you have a BB phone, I was told that they would send it out and most likely I would get a reburb one. For example, I had a keyboard defect in my HTC Touch Pro (crooked and loose), I brought it to Sprint and 4 of the 4 Sprint stores I went to told me they could not replace it since I bought it at BB. I was within my 30 days btw. Yes I could have gone back to BB, but all 8 or 9 of the stores I called had OLD batches of HTC Touch Pro. How did they know and how did I find out?? I went to a Sprint store and asked for the new phone demo (January built), and looked at the MSID number and compared it with the other phones at BB. If it had a later number, it was the later build phones. I spent ALOT OF TIME dealing with this, so trust me I KNOW!! The BB people were very nice in checking for me. I called from Southern California, to Northern california. I am only picky guy... I apologize. At the end, I still have a early December built phone and could not find a later January built phone. This was back in Feb / March of this year. Anyways back to my question, IF I had bought from a Sprint store and I was within 30 days or had TEP, I was told they could exchange it for me ON THE SPOT. I was like wow, that is pretty sweet. BUT if I had TEP and bought it from BB they would need to look at it and send it to Aurion or something like that I believe. This was what I was told.

3. To the person that asked about the contract and BB price etc. BB CHARGED on the retail price for tax when I was due for the upgrade price of 299.99 for the Touch Pro. I understand the 2 yr contracts and what not, so IF you get the new 2 yr contract Sprint has the following 299 (100 MIR)=199, while BB has it straight 199 (No MIR). Trust me you will be better off with Sprint if the above is true if the PALM PRE has early build problems. This is my opinion.

4. Activation fee. Activation fee can be waived. Trust me, if you go to any site there is a list of things you can do to get your activation fee waived. Mine was waived. Call them and tell them that I was told that if I renewed my contract another 2 years that mya activation fee of 18 dollars would be waived. BB cannot do it at the store, but Sprint can. Trust me Sprint will waive it.

Was there anything else I did not answer. I spent alot of time trying to get my Touch Pro and eventually I returned it. SO if Sprint and BB has the same price w/ or w/o MIR, go with Sprint. You will not regret, I HOPE!!! I have not tried it but I am guessing with the trouble I went through, I should have gone back to a Sprint store.

I have done my Due Diligence and I am MERELY STATING my experience. Take it if you wish but I am merely trying to help YOU GUYS for the Pre. Heck I am one of these guys. IF I had read what I had wrote, I would have thought twice about going to BB and take the consequences if I ignored it since I WAS TOLD AHEAD OF TIME.

That is all guys... Feel free to ask anything, I will do my best to answer. Thanks.

Cheers!!
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dbarrett5381 View Post
    If you buy the phone from Best Buy for $199 they will not charge you tax on $799. This is absolutely bogus. You do not honestly believe this do you? I have bought many phones from Best Buy. They are legit and I will be going there first for my pre.

It happened to me.
    funny thing is everyone makes mistakes cause i just got my wife a instinct and then the s30 came out and we switch to that cause it was with in her 30 days. I just went online and checked our accounts and it says she is availbe to upgrade and get the full discount. so i went to the store and had them check and they said yea she is avaible for a full discount. she just has to sign a new 2 year contract. she doesnt know if she wants one so if she doesn't im gonna sell hers on ebay or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by reyrey127 View Post
    It happened to me.
    Well then it was a fluke and is not general practice.
    In many states sales tax is charged prior to any rebates. That is true.

Best Buy does not get to keep that money. So it is not more profit for them.

Sprint stores will most likly have more supply that the Best Buy. Best Buy stock will also probably go faster since they are including the MIR price automatically.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast