Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I saw this article on Reuters:

Sprint to sell Palm Pre for $200 after rebate | Reuters

and posted about it on my site:

Gadgets on the Go: Sprint believes it will have trouble meeting Pre demand

The whole thing seems a bit misleading.

Sprint is not going to advertise heavily because it doesn't think it will meet demand. What happened to the marketing blitz? The Samsung Instinct (which is a step up from a feature phone, but not sure about it being a real smartphone. They advertised the heck out of it.

The Pre still needs to be heavily advertised, no matter what. New iPhone is coming, get more advertisements out now because Apple is going to hit hard with their advertisements.

If there are expected shortages why in the world is it launching on Sprint.com, Sprint Retail Stores, Walmart, BestBuy, and RadioShack on opening day? The more stores it's in the better chance Sprint has of selling a ton of Pres. It makes no business sense to launch in that many stores if Sprint is already saying they won't meed demand.

Do you believe Dan Hesse? Or, do you believe it's more of a a hype thing to try to increase consumer desire/demand right out of the gate?
    Jimmie Geddes
  2. joelpalm
    I don't honestly believe that there will be any shortage. The only people I know who even know about it are hardcore tech guys. Even people who are into electronics don't know much about it. There hasn't been enough advertising to warrant this much demand.
    I think it's a little of both, most likely. Palm didn't have the money to make giant orders, and it's been rumored that there was a holdup or two in manufacturing. But at the same time, I agree it's a bad idea to not advertise heavily, and I don't think they'll sell out immediately on the first day (so everyone here who wants one should probably be able to get one.)
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    I think it's a little of both, most likely. Palm didn't have the money to make giant orders, and it's been rumored that there was a holdup or two in manufacturing. But at the same time, I agree it's a bad idea to not advertise heavily, and I don't think they'll sell out immediately on the first day (so everyone here who wants one should probably be able to get one.)
    I did both iPhone launches (was told there would be shortages each year). It just drums up desire to get the device. The iPhones were still in stock the following day.

I just think it was a stuid move by Dan Hesse to say they're not going to heavily advertise it. This is your savior phone, advertise it. Mostly only tech people know what the Pre is.

T-Mobile did a great job of advertising the G1 even though they sold out of ore-orders quickly and people had to wait to get one. Just think it was a ridiculous statement to make, especially when you're launching it at 4 different retail stores on the same day. I say ignore Dan Hesse!
    Jimmie Geddes
    Did you see the part where they said there will only be 30000 phones available?

Pre Production Problem: Only 30,000 units to be available at launch? | PhoneDog.com

That would suck some MAJOR balls.

Personally I don't believe in that. There would be way too many pissed off people if that was true! If it were true, it would indicate though how desparate Sprint would be to get the Pre on sale before WWDC!
    The reason the iPhone and Storm were a success were brand recognition and advertising. Sprint has done neither of these to grab any attention and better work on it if they plan on hitting a mainstream audience. We can't do all the hard work for them
    Palm M100 => Treo 755P => Treo 800w => Treo 755p => Palm Pre => No more Palm/HP products
    Even if there is going to be a shortage which I don't believe there will be, no body knows about it except us so I don't think there will be a problem I am fine with commercials airing after I get mine.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eguy View Post
    I am fine with commercials airing after I get mine.
    I can't wait to be watchin' TV with some friends and seeing a Pre commercial and saying, "OMG! There's my phone!!"
    "Never regret yesterday. Life is in you today, and you make your tomorrow." —L. Ron Hubbard
    Quote Originally Posted by nojok3 View Post
    The reason the iPhone and Storm were a success were brand recognition and advertising. Sprint has done neither of these to grab any attention and better work on it if they plan on hitting a mainstream audience. We can't do all the hard work for them
    If supply is indeed so constrained, then it sounds like Sprint's doing exactly the right thing.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Then again....if supply is so limited, why spread it even thinner by selling it at Radio Shack and Wal Mart as well, besides Best Buy and Sprint Stores?
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Maybe because it was part of the agreement that got the stores to agree to sell it there.
    Would you believe a guy who lives in black and white in 2009?
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    When the CEO tells his investors there will be a supply issue then you can bet that there will be a supply issue. This isn't the media where you can bull**** your way through with half true ads.
    His intention is clearly to lower expectations. There are certain benefits to doing this - particularly when one ends up exceeding them.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    If there are going to be supply issues, what does that say about the capabilities of Palm?

This is the one phone that many bloggers and others have said beats the iPhone, and they can't make enough of them to exploit demand when it is hot?

And what does it say about those first production units? Either Palm has gotten over their past methods and will launch a phone with no hardware & software issues, or the phone's hardware will crap out like it always seems to happen.

And they've had 6 months since the announcement to now to line up manufacturing capacity, and this is all they have?
    Whomever said it above was correct.

People were lined up because they wanted to be among the first to get an iPhone, but they were also lined up because they thought there wouldn't be enough.

Sure enough, they still had plenty in-stock after the lines died down.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    yes - CEOs are known for being really honest and telling the truth - especially recently.
  18.    #18  
    It's an unprecedented move to sell to that many different retail stores on opening day if there's even a hint of not being able to meet demand. It was a really bad statement to make on so many levels, not advertising it because they can't meed demand??? They need to advertise it no matter what. He said it to create hype.

Sprint is copying Apple and AT&T with closing down Sprint Retail stores nationwide and reopening early. They need to copy advertising the hell out of the Pre. C'mon 4 different retail stores on launch day?? Dan Hesse is trying to create buzz and hype (that makes sense), but his statement should have been worded much better.

When you tell people there's not going to be enough to sell a "insert product here", people want that product a little more (we all get that), but Sprint isn't AT&T or Apple, don't shoot yourself in the foot with such a bad statement and use the reason for why you're not going to heavily advertise the most important release in the company's history (according to Sprint it is).
    Last edited by JimmieGeddes; 05/20/2009 at 06:19 AM.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    yes - CEOs are known for being really honest and telling the truth - especially recently.
    There are honest CEOs and there are dishonest ones. The dishonesty of a few doesn't mean the dishonesty of the whole.

In relation to the topic I believe Dan Hesse is telling us the truth. I believe that they are balancing their inventory versus the demand. One way for them to measure this would be the Palm Pre registration of which many of us who received their email has entered into. This may also be the reason for the lack of Pre ads. Sprint isn't holding off from exposure but it is limiting itself from exposing the Pre. A major backlash would be strong demand but no supply. We also need to remember that Palm is somehow short on cash these days.
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    Then again....if supply is so limited, why spread it even thinner by selling it at Radio Shack and Wal Mart as well, besides Best Buy and Sprint Stores?
    Because Sprint doesn't own most "sprint stores." They are owned by other companies. So why would they screw Bestbuy radio shack and wallmart?. A given Best buy sells more sprint than 20 given Sprint stores.

Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    His intention is clearly to lower expectations. There are certain benefits to doing this - particularly when one ends up exceeding them.
    True, but it also makes it look like another Sprint and or Palm screw up.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast