Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by jewel View Post
    There are honest CEOs and there are dishonest ones. The dishonesty of a few doesn't mean the dishonesty of the whole.

In relation to the topic I believe Dan Hesse is telling us the truth. I believe that they are balancing their inventory versus the demand. One way for them to measure this would be the Palm Pre registration of which many of us who received their email has entered into. This may also be the reason for the lack of Pre ads. Sprint isn't holding off from exposure but it is limiting itself from exposing the Pre. A major backlash would be strong demand but no supply. We also need to remember that Palm is somehow short on cash these days.
    I think there is more going on. There are some rumblings of tension between Palm and Sprint over supply.

Hesse and Colligan have since January had to balance some dissonance in messaging to the financial markets vs the consumer markets. I think Hesse has done the better job.

Also Palms shortage of money dosen't just go to negatively to advertising capability, but negatively to its power over parts suppliers
    It would seem to me that if anyone were to loan Palm money or invest in Palm, providing them enough cash to produce a sufficient (but not excessive) supply of the Pre would be among the best of reasons. There may be lots of other reasons for supply issues, but I find it hard to believe that Palm can't get the cash to make enough Pres. So I don't think this is a cash issue.

We did hear rumors a couple of times about supply issues with the screen. But there are lots of parts, and an issue with supply on any of them will cause an overall shortage.
    I mulled over this exact question when I read the article. If it is true and they will have a shortage than why spread so few Pres to independent retailers on day one. Why not hoard all the Pres for the initial launch at Sprint stores or online? His statement is all but a lil baffling. I honestly don't understand what they are doing here.
    i'm gonna say yes - i believe the man. I;m giving him the benefit of the doubt. yeah, i know the chances are this is a marketing thing, But the financial position of Palm and weak business of Sprint could me a restraint on producing the phone.
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sassy_Lina View Post
    I mulled over this exact question when I read the article. If it is true and they will have a shortage than why spread so few Pres to independent retailers on day one. Why not hoard all the Pres for the initial launch at Sprint stores or online? His statement is all but a lil baffling. I honestly don't understand what they are doing here.

I guess the answer to why have inventory at the different stores (Best Buy/Radio Shack) is maybe Sprint is trying to reach new customers, and they feel that for existing customers, they will primarily handle direct through web & Phone?
    i believe the information, but i seriously doubt the sell out the first weekend.... the numbers on all these polls are not totaling that high, plus Dan says they are not advertising it so... who's really going to know about it
    I hope no one really believes that nonsense. It's the most anticipated cell phone launch in Sprint's history, perhaps, and they'll only have 30k units? LOL. I highly doubt it.

Also factor in that they're launching at 3-4 different commercial entities (Wal-Mart, BB, Sprint stores, etc.) and that doesn't make sense at all. Will each store have only one or two devices there? Get real.
    Quote Originally Posted by htowngator View Post
    I hope no one really believes that nonsense. It's the most anticipated cell phone launch in Sprint's history, perhaps, and they'll only have 30k units? LOL. I highly doubt it.

Also factor in that they're launching at 3-4 different commercial entities (Wal-Mart, BB, Sprint stores, etc.) and that doesn't make sense at all. Will each store have only one or two devices there? Get real.
    Couldn't agree more. He should have worded it differently and not actually said 30K. Which even if it was not a savior phone would be a paltry #.

I haven't heard anyone mention the Wii's lack of availability in the U.S. This hasn't lessened the demand for the Wii. However, it is very differnet than it's competitors and consumers KNEW that. I am not sure ave Joe and Jane know that in this case.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sassy_Lina View Post
    Because they do better at the big box stores. Sprint will give preference in stock to big box stores like best buy over sprint stores.

Now that numbers are portable people want to go look at all four major carriers and all phones in phone place. This is where Sprint has a competitive advantage in both price and with the Pre, Pro, and upcoming HTC Touch Pro 2 in handsets.

If you go into a sprint store you are in a much less competitive situation, so them having Pres on hand there is less important.

Quote Originally Posted by htowngator View Post

Shortage of parts and problems with the production are sourced to many serious publications and direct leaks and from Palm and Sprint itself for months.

There is no doubt that there are problems making a proper number for launch. I don't think 30,000 is the real number but it they for certain don't have the proper and sufficient number.

Sprint does need to lower expectation because the story may be that iphone beat the pants off of them in sales even with the older 3G over the quarter. If that is the case it is right for Sprint to point to Palms known production problems.
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    Has anyone seen any actual estimates of the demand for the Pre? All I've heard so far is rumored supply quantities.

The reason I ask is that most people I talk to don't know about it. Leave out the advertising, and all that's left is those of us in forums and tech news followers who are in the market to buy a new phone.

Also, I'd agree with previous posters. Sprint might be shooting themselves in the foot by not having enough stock on hand for heavy advertising and a huge launch. People would flock if they advertised the many reviews that talk about the Pre being the potential "iPhone killer."
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12