Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyusaku View Post
    Sprint has been doing this for years where was Gizmodo then? They make it sound like a scam, I've never heard of Sprint backing out on their rebates. Sounds like a slow mobile news day.
    Gizmodo has been going over-the-top in their Apple fanboying. Anything that competes with an Apple product gets dozens of their signature articles slamming them with very little basis or reason. They do it constantly with Microsoft but it sucks that they're now after Sprint/Palm.

This is exactly why bloggers shouldn't be classified as journalists. They've introduced this product bashing game and it's spread into mainstream journalism so articles tend to spend more time on what a product can't do rather than what they can.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    Gizmodo has been going over-the-top in their Apple fanboying. Anything that competes with an Apple product gets dozens of their signature articles slamming them with very little basis or reason. They do it constantly with Microsoft but it sucks that they're now after Sprint/Palm.

This is exactly why bloggers shouldn't be classified as journalists. They've introduced this product bashing game and it's spread into mainstream journalism so articles tend to spend more time on what a product can't do rather than what they can.
    Yeah I have to agree with you on that, Gizmodo seem to be very Anti-Pre and aren't even making sensible complaints. I think their "review" will be interesting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post

Gizmodo and Engadget: Leading the Apple frontier since 2002 and 2004, respectfully.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    Man, ya'll are missing the point!

The problem isn't the rebate, it's the price paid on the day you got the phone. That's $299 + tax. It's more than $199, which is what the competition offering.

All of the carriers offer MIRs, no doubt. But giving Sprint a pass on this by trying to say people are lazy cause they don't wanna file a rebate is misguided.

The phone is $300, not $200. Point.
    ALL rebates are a waste of time, and are indeed sort of a scam on the price. If you really wanted to sell the phone at $200, you'd do so outright! Don't make people jump through hoops! Of course they're hoping people won't bother, that's pretty obvious with most rebates. It isn't about laziness, it's about making people jump through time consuming hoops for a supposed lower price that you should have just offered outright in the first place!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eguy View Post
    Gizmodo and Engadget: Leading the Apple frontier since 2002 and 2004, respectfully.
    To be fair, Engadget (Josh in particular) has been head-over-heals in love with the Pre since CES.
    "'Form follows function' — that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Global Posts
    315 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by despo88 View Post
    while it's obviously not just Sprint, the practice itself is deceptive and unethical. They do it ONLY because people forget/don't send it in etc and they make an extra 100 dollars even though the price is supposed to be 199 in this case.

If i can get the discount applied through best buy, I will most likely buy it from them.
    OK...first post, so let me get that out of the way and say hello. I'm on forums for a number of things and have found this one to be educational and beneficial. For that, I am grateful to all that contribute. Now that we all know each other, I'd like to offer the following:

Some will find this the wrong way to start with a first post as a noob, but let me grab my soapbox for just a second. I won't be all THAT long.

It's a freakin' rebate.

The p*ssing and moaning about "all the work" it takes to send in a rebate and specifically for this post to deem it "deceptive and unethical" is mind-boggling. It is the zenith of a victim mentality.

They don't owe you, me or anyone else jack except a level of service that meets our needs as it applies to cellular and broadband connections. That's it.

God forbid we have to take some responsibility and do something for ourselves. There's always someone else to blame. It's not their job to cut your meat into little pieces and tuck you in. Cowboy up.

By the way, rebate programs are for one thing and one thing only....to develop and/or build a database. They throw you a bone and you send in your purchase information, plain and simple. Quid pro quo. Even if they WERE tossing an extra $100 bucks on it to facilitate this, big deal. It's their equipment til you buy it. It's not up to you or me to set their pricing. Who are we to say what the price is supposed to be?

The prevelence of the attitude of "someone OWES me something" in this world makes me just want to go door to door and give people a swift kick in the *** to wake them up. OK, off the box.

Well, wasn't THIS a pleasant little visit? Seriously, I appreciate the chance to have feelings heard in such a manner.

Carry on.

bj
    How about they actually offer the advertised price without all the strings attached?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig S. View Post
    Man, ya'll are missing the point!

The problem isn't the rebate, it's the price paid on the day you got the phone. That's $299 + tax. It's more than $199, which is what the competition offering.

All of the carriers offer MIRs, no doubt. But giving Sprint a pass on this by trying to say people are lazy cause they don't wanna file a rebate is misguided.

The phone is $300, not $200. Point.
    For me in NYC this is what's taxes work out to:
    $299 x 8.375% = $324.04 - $100 (MIR) = $224.04
    $199 x 8.375% = $215.67

$224.04 - $215.67 = $8.37

Edit:
    If they sell 325,000 units that's $2.7 million still gained even if all the rebates are handed in.

It's not that big of a deal to just mail it in. The only people who complain are those who don't.
    Last edited by EeZeEpEe; 05/19/2009 at 06:01 PM.
    LG TP 1100 -> Sanyo SCP-5150 -> LG PM-325 -> Nokia 1100 -> Motorola v557 -> Treo 755p -> HTC EVO 4G

Sprint customer since 2001
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    The Phone is $300, plain and simple. That is a horrible price tag for something that has yet to prove itself worthy. Now there is no way that iphone users are going to make the switch, I know I would'nt.
    Quote Originally Posted by EeZeEpEe View Post
    For me in NYC this is what's taxes work out to:
    $299 x 8.375% = $324.04 - $100 (MIR) = $224.04
    $199 x 8.375% = $215.67

$224.04 - $215.67 = $8.37

Edit:
    If they sell 325,000 units that's $2.7 million still gained even if all the rebates are handed in.

It's not that big of a deal to just mail it in. The only people who complain are those who don't.
    Then there are those who would like the advertised price to be honored without all the extra steps.

Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Then there are those who would like the advertised price to be honored without all the extra steps.
    And then there are those who realize you'll get the rebate in 10 to 14 weeks. It's not even that many steps.
    1. Fill out the form
    2. Mail it
    3. Deposit the check

Is it really going to stop you or anyone else from getting the Pre?
    LG TP 1100 -> Sanyo SCP-5150 -> LG PM-325 -> Nokia 1100 -> Motorola v557 -> Treo 755p -> HTC EVO 4G

Even if 100% of the people get their rebates back sprint stands to make some nice coin of the interest alone. For arguments sake lets say that Sprint sells a million Pres this year. Thats 100,000,000 in cash, if I put that in my savings account it would earn 1,000,000 in three months.
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Kessler View Post
    To be fair, Engadget (Josh in particular) has been head-over-heals in love with the Pre since CES.
    Yes you are right, but the rest of the staff bleed white/aluminium.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    In my case, it does indeed make me hesitate. Because if the iPhone 32GB comes out at $300, I'll just pay the $300 plus tax there, renew my contract and walk out the door without needing to do anything else. I don't have patience to play phone price games with anyone.

Just wait, by the end of August, there will be a thread here that says, I never got my $100 rebate and Sprint won't help me.

The last rebate I sent in was from ATT for $30 to cover the cost of their DSL modem. I never got the rebate. I called ATT and they said they don't handle the rebate there, you need to call XXX-XXX-XXXX. I called them and left messages and never got my rebate.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

In my case, it does indeed make me hesitate. Because if the iPhone 32GB comes out at $300, I'll just pay the $300 plus tax there, renew my contract and walk out the door without needing to do anything else. I don't have patience to play phone price games with anyone.
    So I guess to you paying $20 more per month for a plan equivalent to Sprint's $69.99 is worth not playing the phone price game. I'm sure I'm not alone in thinking that it's not worth it. Notice how $340 for the first year (includes the $100 more you would spend on the iPhone 32GB) is another iPhone or Palm Pre.

I am a little bit annoyed with the hassle of MIRs, so that is why I plan on going to Radio Shack where the price the customer sees is the price they get.
    "Never regret yesterday. Life is in you today, and you make your tomorrow." —L. Ron Hubbard
    the mail in rebate takes 5 minutes. i got $100 when i bought my centro. no big deal, no worries. for those that don't send it in, consider it a tax on the stupid.
    How about they actually offer the advertised price without all the strings attached?
    What advertised price did they not offer?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast