1.    #1  
    This may not come as a surprise to some people, especially not those seriously planning to camp out to get a Pre, but Dan Hesse, Sprint’s CEO, confirmed the Palm Pre will be in short supply. At least, when it first releases. “We won’t be able to keep up with demand for the device in the early period of time,” said Hesse on Tuesday during an investor’s conference held by JP Morgan.
    Getting A Pre? Expect Shortages, Sprint CEO Says | Palm Goon
    Damn you Hesse *shakes fist*
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Early spin control, he is telling people there will be a shortage in an attempt to create one!
    Quote Originally Posted by bryanharig View Post
    Early spin control, he is telling people there will be a shortage in an attempt to create one!
    Correct. 1rst year college marketing stuff.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    well if he just made that up im gonna sue him for lying. i'll prolly settle for a pre if im having a good day.
    Global Posts
    815 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bryanharig View Post
    I did wonder about that as well, try to boost sales first week.

We've heard rumors there are shortages in parts in China and what if his plan backfired, because there was going to be a shortage, no one bothered.
    Yeah if there were real shortages...guess what, he would keep his mouth shut.

(though this was at an investors meeting so you never know).

I expect 300k-500k shipped to retailers for launch day.

I think that will be plenty for a bit.
    He has to do something considering the launch is just 2 days before WWDC!
    You'd think they would have learned from some of the Apple fiascos with supply. Nothing is more of a buzzkill then hearing, "Sorry, they're backordered. We'll get back to you."

Rather then build up a frenzy, I think this is more likely to force folks to look to alternatives. The hard-core fanboys will wait, but the average dude on the street will just look elsewhere. Apple is going to make an announcement just a couple of days later at WWDC. Judging by the poll numbers HERE Palm had better fill the demand while it's there.
    Last edited by rambo47; 05/19/2009 at 02:51 PM.
    I expect there will be local availability issues in some places, but overall if Sprint can sell through the 3-500k units they are rumored to have ordered in the first week that would be a great thing for them and for Palm.
    Well, if the continue with the current pathetic level of advertising, I predict there will be plenty to go around.

Dell, please buy Palm.
    Well duh. What would we expect him to say? "We'll have plenty of Pre's at launch for anyone that wants one".

Right.
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    ....Dell, please buy Palm.

Off topic.... NO that is a real death move
    They clearly haven't started their advertising yet.

Jesus, everyone wanted Palm to start in March.

That would've been an incredible waste of money.
  15.    #15  
    Sorry, got sidetracked - I intended to post immediately after this.

I agree, this seems to be a strategic move on their part, though I don't think more hype would have been necessary had it not been for Apple's iPhone 'leak' today. It fits that there will be a series of moves and counter-moves between now and Pre launch/WWDC.