1.    #1  
    Before I get bashed to death, I want everyone to know I'll be getting this phone no matter what on the 1st day, but I just want to play a little devils advocate.

With all of the news recently about palm's financial troubles, is anyone else scared on jumping on the palm bandwaggon? I was reading someones post on a different website and they had some very good points. He compared the pre launch to the zune. Before the zune was released, it was touted on the internet as the ipod killer, and while its features do surpass the ipod, the execution of the product was flawed, and many people still fail to adopt it. With the Pre, it has every potential to be the greatest phone out there, but does Palm have the resources to even make it possible? A huge thing going for the iphone right now is the gigantic app database, while I'll never use 99% of them, there are still some great things out there. Will people be willing to do the same kind of development for the Pre?

Being an early adopter to a brand new OS with barely any apps is a huge leap of faith, that I'm willing to take, but at the same time I do have the same reservations. Anyone else?

This is meant to be a discussion, not start a war about iphone vs. pre, so please keep comments constructive and applicable.
    1. Palm has historically sold fewer than 1 million phones per year.
    2. For the past year, PALM has been valued like it might go out of business.
    3. Adjusting for the $9 dividend, PALM is currently priced at levels similar to the last several years.
    4. Apple sold over 11 million iPhones last year.
    5. There are over 1 billion mobile phones sold per year. Smartphones comprise a small fraction of that, but they're projected to grow quickly. Some guy recently forecast that smartphones will grow to 50% of the market in a few years. That's 500 million phones per year. But that probably stretches the definition of a smartphone.
    6. If Palm sells even just a couple million Pre phones per year, PALM stock should do very well.
    7. If you do buy PALM, be aware that it will be EXTREMELY volatile - huge drops and gains in very short periods of time.

Btw, I don't own any PALM stock. I just follow the company closely.
    I don't think he means the stock.

I'm pretty confident Palm will be around as webOS is the real deal and Palm looks to have it going with multiple carriers.
    Ah.
    I've been investing in Palm since the Palm Vx. No need to stop now.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    I wish I did when it was $2.
    Even if Palm is unable to pay creditors and continue with just Elevation Partners (which I don't think will happen), Elevation will get their money back in a sale to Dell or HP or HTC or someone. What does that mean to us?

WebOS is here to stay. It is too good and a big asset. Even if Palm went into Chapter 7 and liquidated, someone would pay for WebOS. They may not support the Pre but the ecosystem and software will be here for the next 8-10 years (upgraded a lot but the foundations will be here a long while).

IMHO
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Homie View Post
    WebOS is here to stay. It is too good and a big asset. Even if Palm went into Chapter 7 and liquidated, someone would pay for WebOS. They may not support the Pre but the ecosystem and software will be here for the next 8-10 years (upgraded a lot but the foundations will be here a long while).

IMHO
    Regardless of the strength of WebOS & its longevity, the common shareholder is usually screwed (99+%) of the time when a company declares Ch 7 or Ch 11. Common shareholder is typically LAST on list of creditors--sadly I know from experience.

I am not expecting or predicting Palm to declare Ch 11 or 7, but if you believe they will, then short the stock or don't expect your money back.

Cheers
    Quote Originally Posted by miles4000 View Post
    I wish I did when it was $2.
    Maybe we'll get a time machine app