Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Take it for what's it's worth, a contact inside of Sprint told me they had a 2-year exclusivity agreement for the Pre. I was not able to get any other information about this from him.
    I've seen words like 'lifetime' used too. Though 2 years might as well be lifetime, no one will launch a 2 year old phone.

Looks like webOS will come to other carriers in the form of new models. Hope the Pre compares favorably to them!
    yea, that doesn't matter so much. other webos devices will pop up on other carriers soon and its the web os thats the biggest selling point
    If thats true, I'm glad I didnt think of waiting for VZW to get it. Planning on switching now for it.
    I call bunk, from the very beginning (including the CES announcement) it's been known that the exclusivity is "through 2009".
    Quote Originally Posted by Carioca_FL View Post
    I call bunk, from the very beginning (including the CES announcement) it's been known that the exclusivity is "through 2009".
    That was just a rumor, Sprint or Palm didnt comment on how long it will be.
    You might want to find a new inside contact
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Carioca_FL View Post
    Maybe Sprint is rethinking it's cash cow! There are rumors about Verzion jumping on Apple's band wagon
    I think it's entirely possible that Sprint would have driven a hard bargain. They're putting up a lot of cash for this launch.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    You might want to find a new inside contact
    It wasn't like he meant to tell me, it slipped out in the convo. You have to understand Sprint employees have been through a lot of meetings recently and feed a lot of info. Some of the info they know is out on press releases which they can freely talk about to anyone. Other stuff they were told is supposed to be confidential and they shouldn't talk about it to anyone. He messed up but that doesn't mean there's any final word on it. It might be 3 years if there still in negotiations. The only information I'm getting out of this is Sprint is trying to get longer exclusivity rights and looks like they're getting it.
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bryanharig View Post
    no one will launch a 2 year old phone
    Verizon would
    >++++++++++[<+++++++>-]<.>+++[<+++++>-]<.>+++[<------>-]<.>++[<++++>-]<.>++++++[<------->-]<-.>+++++++[<++++++++>-]<+.>++[<----->-]<.>++[<+++>-]<.>++++[<------------->-]<..
    exclusivity for that long doesnt help Palm.

the thing is, what gsm carrier will pick it up in the USA? tmo, has issues with palm and they are all in with google. and we all know ATT has their preferred phone.

Plam can sell unlocked unbranded phone here, but that doesnt get you the numbers.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    When are other carriers allowed to begin development? do they need to wait until the exclusivity clause is up or can they develop before so the phone can be released the day that the clause runs out?
    Quote Originally Posted by keri2000 View Post
    When are other carriers allowed to begin development? do they need to wait until the exclusivity clause is up or can they develop before so the phone can be released the day that the clause runs out?
    im sure if palm has other carriers ready to go, these carriers already have the phone in some state of testing.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    That appiles to the US only right? Because they need to get that international GSM Pre out way before 2 years!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by Felipe View Post
    the thing is, what gsm carrier will pick it up in the USA? tmo, has issues with palm and they are all in with google.
    Besides the fact that T-mobile uses odd frequencies and doesn't have a very large 3G network yet. (The former is most important, because that'd mean they can't use a GSM Pre designed for Europe with T-mobile.)
    Hmmm. I guess this will be your new hobby rumor mill then. Lay your money down. If it's two years...crap. I'm NOT coming over to Sprint. I think it would not be good for Palm to keep the exclusive there. Indeed, it's business idiocy to do so. They'll need and want other players. This is their last gasp shot. Sprint is in the biggest trouble of all the big players, so you don't tie your nearly sunk ship to a sinking one if others are nearby. But big companies make stupid decisions all the time, so anything is possible. And if Palm IS that dumb, sorry, but they deserve to die. A slow and painful death. I hope it's not true.
    No Way, and you should be made to squeal like a pig just for posting this
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    Take it for what's it's worth, a contact inside of Sprint told me they had a 2-year exclusivity agreement for the Pre. I was not able to get any other information about this from him.
    This is crap. It's just 6 months from what I hear, and is only limited to the Pre - other webos devices are not covered.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zorro1 View Post
    Hmmm. I guess this will be your new hobby rumor mill then. Lay your money down. If it's two years...crap. I'm NOT coming over to Sprint. I think it would not be good for Palm to keep the exclusive there. Indeed, it's business idiocy to do so. They'll need and want other players. This is their last gasp shot. Sprint is in the biggest trouble of all the big players, so you don't tie your nearly sunk ship to a sinking one if others are nearby. But big companies make stupid decisions all the time, so anything is possible. And if Palm IS that dumb, sorry, but they deserve to die. A slow and painful death. I hope it's not true.
    But Sprint has the best US data network and the lowest prices. That leads me to think a lot of their issues stem from not having a "Hero" phone in a couple of years the way the other big carriers have. Solve one and hopefully solve the other.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast