Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1.    #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesm View Post
    I assure you it's not. He's trying to mitigate the damage from a short exclusivity period. It goes through the end of 2009, which is why technically it's not 6 months. It would have been 7 months if it launched in May as the original plan called for.

Here we go again...

It's well speculated that Palm's other device, the EOS is headed to AT&T. I think that is were the claims from these other companies saying they're getting a Pre is coming from.
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    Here we go again...

It's well speculated that Palm's other device, the EOS is headed to AT&T. I think that is were the claims from these other companies saying they're getting a Pre is coming from.
    You are mistaken.
  3.    #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesm View Post
    You are mistaken.
    Well that clears it then.
    As others have said this at best only means exclusivity for this particular Pre device. There will be other WebOS devices, probably within 6 months, that any carrier could carry.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    No telling what kind of payola took place between Palm and Sprint, but Sprint is looking at the Pre as their "coming out" device, marking the turnaround of the beleaguered carrier. Palm likewise is hoping the Pre is the beginning of their turnaround. I think it's a good sign for quality control that the supply of Pre's is tight enough that they feel comfortable with only Sprint selling it. I'd hate to see them pump up the output at the expense of build quality, just to jam as many sub-standard handsets on the public as they could.

ps: I've also been hearing from some sources that it is indeed a 2-year lockup with Sprint. It may turn out to be some kind of an option deal renewed every 6 months, but I've been told it's Sprint's through 2010 and into 2011 if they so choose.
    If it was longer than 5-7 months or so why wouldn't he just say, "Look we have the pre for 2 years so screw the other guys if you want the phone its only going to be on Sprint"

Instead he was cryptic and offered zero insight into the actual contract length. My guess is Sprint only has the exclusivity for around 6 months or so. If it was significantly longer they would have told us.
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    Is it possible that the exclusivity is based on how well it sells? If Sprint can sell them a ton of pres in the first few months, Palm might not have a reason to add this specific phone to other networks. But if Sprint sales are lagging, they'll need it on other networks to recoup their losses.
    Quote Originally Posted by bkell View Post
    Is it possible that the exclusivity is based on how well it sells? If Sprint can sell them a ton of pres in the first few months, Palm might not have a reason to add this specific phone to other networks. But if Sprint sales are lagging, they'll need it on other networks to recoup their losses.
    Absolutely a possibility. It could easily be some kind of renewable 6-month option deal based on any number of different metrics. And it could be a situation where both Palm and Sprint have to agree to renew it.
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    Well that clears it then.
    Palm Pre on Verizon in January - Digits - WSJ
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    Cusotmer Service. How do you think all at&t customers who bought the first iPhone feel right now. It is time for thier two year upgrade and At&t tells them to fork over their paycheck if they want the new phone. At least sprint is rewarding their loyal customers as well and letting them in on the prize.

Bottom line is every cell phone companies has it's ups and downs. I have friends on all carriers and everyone complains about their companyonce and awhile, no one can be perfect 100% of the time. Sprint is restructing and this is new CEO now for both companies. Give them some time before you banish them to 7th circle of hell.
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Aridon View Post
    If it was longer than 5-7 months or so why wouldn't he just say, "Look we have the pre for 2 years so screw the other guys if you want the phone its only going to be on Sprint"

Instead he was cryptic and offered zero insight into the actual contract length. My guess is Sprint only has the exclusivity for around 6 months or so. If it was significantly longer they would have told us.
    It is called screwing with the copmetition. Get them focusing on somehting they never gonna get. It won't do anything to the company it self but it just might **** of their customers who are not jumoing ship to Sprint to get. If it is announced eventually that it will be 2 years more people will switch who do not want to wait.
  13. ame
    Global Posts
    2,714 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
    Maybe Sprint is rethinking it's cash cow! There are rumors about Verzion jumping on Apple's band wagon
    That's always been out there. ATT isn't going to get an extension beyond 2010 with Apple. I think Jobs knows that he can crack more nuts with VZW + ATT than just with ATT.
    Global Posts
    727 Global Posts
    I'm so sick of phones being exclusive to carriers. Really, who does it benefit? No one. Consumer's are hit the worst. You would think that carriers would benefit but I beg to differ.

Let me use Verizon and the BB Storm, for example. I bought it for $200 at launch. Early termination is $175 - $5/mon since start date. The phone is selling for $300+ on eBay so canceling is of no consequence to the customer. Verizon then gains the ETF but loses the remaining monthly revenue that would have been gained from the service. Also, they had to pay a ton of money to gain that exclusivity contract with RIM so I wouldn't say they benefited in this scenario either. Phone manufacturers get the money from the deal but you mean to tell me Apple wouldn't sell boatloads more iPhones if they were available on Verizon and Sprint?

I really hate the way things are with cell phones.
    It makes consumers choose the phone first, and carrier second. Same thing with video games and the ones that are exclusive to certain consoles. You just have to get what you like.
    Really doesnt matter if Sprint extends rights for two years really. Could be 20 years and it wouldnt matter. ATT is going to get the pixie soon with the cool OS so the WebOS will spread and let other people experience it.

That was the important part of the exclusivity would have been to lock down the WebOS... that is the real prize and think everyone hear should realize. Sprint should have realized but they messed up.

Eventually the best thing to do is rename this site WebOS.net because that's what's going to be important and needs to grow and expand to other carriers to gain popularity... staying with Sprint would have stunted WebOS eventually. WebOS can be the next Win Mobile that spans over multiple platforms.

Smart if this was Palms plan all along... Use Sprint as a launch pad and go from there. I really do believe Sprint should have done more while they had it to themselves. the Pre is nice but if this is the direction... expect some hot phone designs in the near future as the WebOS grows.

Quote Originally Posted by WoodWulf View Post
    Just like the WinMobile phones... you have the Blackjack, HTC and the HP iPAQ, etc...

In truth and just being truthful... your Pre's will be outdated within a year and there will be so many other WebOS phones with different features to suit different people.

If you like the WebOS but don't like the phone... then don't buy it... Wait and you'll see new WebOS phones in the future... imagine a Samsung BlackJack WebOS, an HTC WebOS phone... someone with an iPhone style WebOS machine with no keyboard maybe!!! And on the carrier you like... Verizon, ATT, Tmbile, etc.

It's the WebOS that's important... not the Pre.
    Last edited by donm527; 06/11/2009 at 09:46 AM.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123