Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Let's see what deals you find at other carriers that match Sprint's current plans, and then see how serious you are about saving money.
    I have been. I'm currently weighing my options. I have two lines and I'm considering switching to T-Mobile.
    The FamilyTime 700 plan for two lines both with unlimited web is $109.97. Includes 700 minutes and 400 txt per line.

Sure I may get a slightly better plan with Sprint for all its Unlimited ness on everything, but who says I need that because I don't. And if Sprint isn't interested in keeping me, then I'll leave even if I would have saved a little and gotten more. I'm currently available for an upgrade and my contract is officially up in July. They have until then to convince me to stay.
    T-mobile? Seriously? You must be within the 50 feet they have 3G coverage then.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Sprint customer for 11 years and I've been doing retention plans every time I renewed. So my account is an absolute mess with free minutes/services/discounts. The last time I negotiated in 07 they got REALLY strict and I ended up renewing with less stuff than I had off-contract.

Well, I've been out of contract for about a year just waiting for the Pre so it's time to see what happens. I absolutely love Sprint and the Pre looks great but (sorry for sounding pretentious) if they have me pay "regular price" then I'll just get the new iPhone on ATT.

I fully expect to lose my extra minutes and 6PM nights but if I can get away with a $129 family plan + my 20% discount (costco/loyalty/bonus) then I'll be happy. But my guess is that they'll push me right out that door.
    Quote Originally Posted by gregms View Post
    I have been. I'm currently weighing my options. I have two lines and I'm considering switching to T-Mobile.
    The FamilyTime 700 plan for two lines both with unlimited web is $109.97. Includes 700 minutes and 400 txt per line.

Sure I may get a slightly better plan with Sprint for all its Unlimited ness on everything, but who says I need that because I don't. And if Sprint isn't interested in keeping me, then I'll leave even if I would have saved a little and gotten more. I'm currently available for an upgrade and my contract is officially up in July. They have until then to convince me to stay.
    Funny, I went over there and priced it myself. T-Mobile FamilyTime 700 with unlimited data and 400 text per line comes to $130/month by their calculations. Maybe you have a corporate discount? That's cool. That's 17 percent off monthly.

On Sprint, for the same amount of money you get MORE THAN DOUBLE the minutes, unlimited navigation, TV, and radio, and unlimited texting. Oh, and did I mention you'll have access to 3G in WAAAAY more places? Oh, and they happen to have a phone that smokes the G1 and will be getting an Android phone with better spec this year too?

Explain to me again why Sprint has to "convince you to stay"....
    Last edited by mikah912; 05/19/2009 at 01:20 PM.
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    Sprint decommissioned the retentions department and stopped all the awesome deals that they could offer because they're bleeding money right now.
    That has been my understanding for a while now. Sprint just couldn't run their business on customer threats - especially as users shared their experiences on the net and everyone (and their neighbors) called to threaten cancellation if not given a better deal.
    I'm telling you this because I was pissed at Sprint about this moving to a new plan to get the Pre after I've been with them for 12 years and felt it was BS.
    I have a tough time with this statement. If you were with AT&T when the iPhone came out, they made you upgrade your plan.

Why should it be any different with Sprint?

I have been with Sprint for only about 10 years and had a sweetheart plan with them but wanted to upgrade to a new Treo. I had to change the plan if I wanted the new (at that time) faster data access.

I had to weigh the options for what was right for me. I didn't like it, but it was what I wanted. Sort of like buying a new car and having to buy stuff you really don't need want to get that one option you do want.

Just my curiosity and two cents.

BTW, how do you all get by with 1,000 or so minutes a month? My average over the last 9 months is 4,500 minutes.
    << My command as we escape Palm HQ with a new Pre 3>>.

Treo 300 >> Treo 600 >> Treo 650 >> Treo 755 >> Instinct >> Pre- >> TouchPad
    Quote Originally Posted by gregms View Post
    And if Sprint isn't interested in keeping me, then I'll leave even if I would have saved a little and gotten more. I'm currently available for an upgrade and my contract is officially up in July. They have until then to convince me to stay.
    Let's see if I understand this. You're willing to pay more for less because you feel that by bringing you to the same level as other Sprint customers, that means Sprint hasn't convinced you they "want you".

And, you're willing to pay more (for less) to T-mobile because they have shown they want you by ... offering less for more...

As Spock said - Fascinating.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Explain to me again why Sprint has to "convince you to stay"....
    Because the Sprint plan doesn't come with a whaambulance.
  9.    #29  
    Can we get back to the topic I started? What deals can you get from Retentions to get the Pre???

Ok, so, 1 hour on the phone later and....

I called S|P upgrades. They said they could not order and didn't know when they could. Also said I had to change plans and my Free and Clear 2000 would not work. Forwarded me to customer care.

At Customer Care I spoke with Dana (who was very nice and helpful). She said I needed to change plans, gave me some options but really could not give me the discounts I needed in order to make this a reasonable switch (particularly N/W at 6pm and some additional included minutes per month). She said I needed to speak with Sprint's "other department." I asked who that was and she said they were called "Retentions."

So RETENTIONS IS STILL THERE!!!

I spoke with Osmon (spelling? - who was also a great guy to speak with). I told him my issue; losing 500 mins per month and no 6pm n/w. He put me on hold for 2 minutes to do some research and came back with an offer. After some discussion I ended up with:

- 1500 min. Everything Data Family Plan
    - 150 additional minutes per month
    - "Pick 5" free numbers to call per line (I have 2 lines)
    - 6 pm n/w
    - and I applied for a 10% credit union member discount
    - they did not extend my contract.

So bill should be $116.99.

I know, someone else will get/has gotten a better deal or thinks this deal is crappy. I don't. I'm not pleased to lose 350 mins per month but I almost never used them. W/Pick 5 I will get rid of several hundred more minutes that I regularly use. I get Sprint Navigation (yay).

I think it is a good deal for me.

He also suggested I try to go to Best Buy or Radio Shack if they have them due to the instant v. mail-in rebate issue.

All and all I am pleased and I must say Dana and Osmon were great to work with.
  10.    #30  
    FYI

I read in SERO thread # 48 or something that the manager in Retentions suggested waiting till they had more guidance. On my call I heard the opposite. They thanked me for calling now and NOT waiting until the rush on the 5th and 6th when they will be very pushed for time with each caller looking to change plans.

Anyone else called yet?
    hey Homie!

Thanks for starting this thread and following through with contacting sprint retentions. Really glad you got through to retentions and got a deal you were happy with. I'm planning on going through this similar situation in the coming days, and not sure yet what will come of it. Currently we have over 2000 minutes, 4 lines, 1000 txts per line, unlimited data, and 7pm n/w. We have a really good company discount and pay around $100/month after taxes/fees. I realize we're going to have to go to a SE everything plan, and I guess we'll probably end up doing something similar to u (but hoping to keep our bill about what it is now). Are you getting any txts with your deal? Did you happen to get a direct line number to retentions? I know the old retentions phone number is gone, but it would be really nice to not have to go through all the other channels first.

Quote Originally Posted by Homie View Post
    Can we get back to the topic I started? What deals can you get from Retentions to get the Pre???

Ok, so, 1 hour on the phone later and....

I called S|P upgrades. They said they could not order and didn't know when they could. Also said I had to change plans and my Free and Clear 2000 would not work. Forwarded me to customer care.

At Customer Care I spoke with Dana (who was very nice and helpful). She said I needed to change plans, gave me some options but really could not give me the discounts I needed in order to make this a reasonable switch (particularly N/W at 6pm and some additional included minutes per month). She said I needed to speak with Sprint's "other department." I asked who that was and she said they were called "Retentions."

So RETENTIONS IS STILL THERE!!!

I spoke with Osmon (spelling? - who was also a great guy to speak with). I told him my issue; losing 500 mins per month and no 6pm n/w. He put me on hold for 2 minutes to do some research and came back with an offer. After some discussion I ended up with:

- 1500 min. Everything Data Family Plan
    - 150 additional minutes per month
    - "Pick 5" free numbers to call per line (I have 2 lines)
    - 6 pm n/w
    - and I applied for a 10% credit union member discount
    - they did not extend my contract.

So bill should be $116.99.

I know, someone else will get/has gotten a better deal or thinks this deal is crappy. I don't. I'm not pleased to lose 350 mins per month but I almost never used them. W/Pick 5 I will get rid of several hundred more minutes that I regularly use. I get Sprint Navigation (yay).

I think it is a good deal for me.

He also suggested I try to go to Best Buy or Radio Shack if they have them due to the instant v. mail-in rebate issue.

All and all I am pleased and I must say Dana and Osmon were great to work with.
  12.    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by schnoid View Post
    hey Homie!

Thanks for starting this thread and following through with contacting sprint retentions. ...Are you getting any txts with your deal? Did you happen to get a direct line number to retentions? I know the old retentions phone number is gone, but it would be really nice to not have to go through all the other channels first.
    You are welcome

Actually, the SE program comes with unlimited texts so no worries there! That is the best part - you get unlimited everything but minutes.

I asked if there was a special number now and they said no and that I should just call customer care and ask for retentions.

Good luck! I am anxious to see what everyone else is able to get! It helps others negotiate.
    Thats a issue when buying from BestBuy/Walmart/RadioShack. I went to buy a sprint phone at BB and had a notation in my notes but when i told BB about that they told me they do not have access to the special notes. Went to the corporate store instead. This was more than a year ago. Not sure if that has changed and BB can now see the special notes.

Quote Originally Posted by snowboard1219 View Post
    i called up the sprint premier upgrade number since i wasnt supposed to be upgraded til july. she made a notation in my account saying they would upgrade me starting June.
    so does anyone know how this works? Can i go to best buy and get the discount there or is it only at sprint corporate stores?
  14. tuz
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    I'm just trying to figure out why retentions would feel threatened. I think I remember the press release yesterday quoting some extreme savings figure over the similar plan on the iPhone. So if you tell them you want to switch to the iPhone unless you get a lower price, won't they just tell you that there's no way you'll get a lower price on the iPhone? Not to mention the early termination fee (or just paying until your plan is out). You're just supposed to tell them that you don't care, and they'll give you a deal?

Or would you just call them and say you're thinking of switching? Then wouldn't they just see through your little ruse?

Maybe I'm far too honest and logical. I would love to get a really good deal, be able to keep my current plan, etc. so I hope I have the guts to threaten to leave!

How spineless I sound... haha
    Last edited by tuz; 05/20/2009 at 09:05 PM.
  15.    #35  
    ^ that is all true. For me the truth is that my employer gets a discount on AT&T so they are encouraging me to switch. But I don't want to after 17 years with Sprint (that's right, 17).

Also, you can tell them that your spouse wants an iPhone and you are pushing the Pre but if your monthly bill is going to go up a bunch, might as well look at the iPhone or something else.

You will find that Retentions is willing to be pretty reasonable if you have been around for a while, are rational and polite, and explain what about the new plan you have a problem with. Like I said, not enough minutes for the price and I lose 6 pm n/w. They then went about fixing that problem for me. There are lots of stories from folks who have had similar and much better success over the years with Retentions.

Sure can't hurt but no reason to lie.
    People, there is no retentions department anymore in Sprint. They may still refer to it as retentions but internally they got rid of that department. They no longer have the ability to offer better deals then the reps. It saddens me to tell you this because I was hoping to leverage this like I have in the past.
    Have you run that by an employee on the sprint boards? The name has just changed. (it has changed a few times over the years).

Executive services is still able to issue some good recurring credits. Not as much yes, but there are still quite a few. I understand the normal reps do not have the same ability as exec services and access to teh same discount or credit codes.

Also Exectuive service is able to apply one and two year discounts on equipment early. they are able to change your effective anniversary dates. That I know for a fact.
    Global Posts
    238 Global Posts
    I'm out of contract but have a legit reason to talk to retentions. I was with Nextel for 6 years before Sprint bought them out. My Nextel contract was about to end and Sprint sent me a card in the mail offering to switch to a sprint phone and everything cheaply. Figuring it was the same company now, I said why not after checking a coverage map. What they didn't tell me until I had the phone in hand to activate was I'd have to do another credit check and end up paying a $150 security deposit even though I never missed a payment with Nextel in 6 years, but that's a different story. Anyway, got the phone, but before activating it noticed the signal strength at home was horrible. Everywhere around BUT my house was fine, but home was a dead spot. Ended up getting a different phone, slightly better reception but still can't use it in the house for calls and outside in the driveway is only barely usable. Data coverage was in the middle though and I don't make many calls normally, so I dealt with it. With all of add-ons I'm only $5 shy of the Everything Data 450 plan anyway, but unless they're willing to give me an Airave signal booster for free ($100 normally) and waive the ridiculous $5/mo service fee on it, I can't go another 2 years with crappy coverage at home, even for the Pre. I know people have gotten both for free, but at least before, Sprint and Nextel computer systems couldn't even talk to each other so it looks like I'm a recent customer probably. I'm not sure if I should try before I get a Pre, or after. IF I get it, and then complain before the 30 days, would I have better luck?
    Quote Originally Posted by wessock View Post
    I'm out of contract but have a legit reason to talk to retentions. I was with Nextel for 6 years before Sprint bought them out. My Nextel contract was about to end and Sprint sent me a card in the mail offering to switch to a sprint phone and everything cheaply. Figuring it was the same company now, I said why not after checking a coverage map. What they didn't tell me until I had the phone in hand to activate was I'd have to do another credit check and end up paying a $150 security deposit even though I never missed a payment with Nextel in 6 years, but that's a different story. Anyway, got the phone, but before activating it noticed the signal strength at home was horrible. Everywhere around BUT my house was fine, but home was a dead spot. Ended up getting a different phone, slightly better reception but still can't use it in the house for calls and outside in the driveway is only barely usable. Data coverage was in the middle though and I don't make many calls normally, so I dealt with it. With all of add-ons I'm only $5 shy of the Everything Data 450 plan anyway, but unless they're willing to give me an Airave signal booster for free ($100 normally) and waive the ridiculous $5/mo service fee on it, I can't go another 2 years with crappy coverage at home, even for the Pre. I know people have gotten both for free, but at least before, Sprint and Nextel computer systems couldn't even talk to each other so it looks like I'm a recent customer probably. I'm not sure if I should try before I get a Pre, or after. IF I get it, and then complain before the 30 days, would I have better luck?
    in my experience with retentions, i have a large amount of experience with them , you should try and call now and if they are like sorry we cant do that then say im willing to upgrade my plan, my bill has never been late etc and they should cave then
    There really isn't much to figure out. Sprint wants to keep good loyal customers. If they make those loyal customers happy, they have assured income from that customer for years. It might not be a huge amount of money, but with all the loss of sprint customers recently, they need to do whatever they can to stay afloat. You might not specifically think getting an iphone or a G1 or some other specific phone would be worth the switch, but obviously millions of people have thought otherwise.

For me, I don't even bother BSing retentions anymore. I just say what I want and if it's within reason I generally get my way or at least something to keep me happy. I've been with sprint for over 10 years, and its very apparent from my file with them that we're loyal and VERY good customers as long as they do little things for us here and there just to make us happy. We pay over $100/month every month like clockwork and they can be assured that this will continue for another 10+ years if they keep us happy. Doesn't take threats or reasoning, just a simple discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by tuz View Post
    I'm just trying to figure out why retentions would feel threatened. I think I remember the press release yesterday quoting some extreme savings figure over the similar plan on the iPhone. So if you tell them you want to switch to the iPhone unless you get a lower price, won't they just tell you that there's no way you'll get a lower price on the iPhone? Not to mention the early termination fee (or just paying until your plan is out). You're just supposed to tell them that you don't care, and they'll give you a deal?

Or would you just call them and say you're thinking of switching? Then wouldn't they just see through your little ruse?

Maybe I'm far too honest and logical. I would love to get a really good deal, be able to keep my current plan, etc. so I hope I have the guts to threaten to leave!

How spineless I sound... haha
    Global Posts
    113 Global Posts
    No luck with retentions today. The only discount that can be applied to an Everything Data family plan is NVP (corporate discount -- mine's 25%). My existing credits including free 6 PM nights ($10) and free 3rd & 4th lines ($10/each) on my Fair & Flexible 1500 retention plan will remain in effect until their expiration. These credits cannot be renewed. I want a Pre on launch day, but I can't justify bumping my plan from $90/month incl. taxes to almost $140/month for the Pre. I might as well get an iPhone on AT&T!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast