Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    Those of us who are buying a Pre should head over there and vote!

Poll: Are you buying a Palm Pre?
    Tom
    Pilot Prō --> M100 --> Trēō 600 --> Trēō 700p -- > Prē
    engadget designed a poll question that offers 4 choices, 1 for it, and 3 against it.

Its obvious they don't even pretend to be fair in this poll.
    So far most people are holding off until the Apple conference to see what comes out of that.
    I took it, I'm surprised such a big chunk of people voted for "wait for WWDC". Although apple does always seem to pull something huge out that they've kept secret. I still want the pre!
    The 'wait till WWDC' has over twice the votes as people buying it.
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    engadget designed a poll question that offers 4 choices, 1 for it, and 3 against it.

Its obvious they don't even pretend to be fair in this poll.

The only things certain in life are death, taxes..... and claims of Engadget bias by virtually everyone who visits it.

... I mean seriously, you do realize the guy who posted the article is as gung ho about the Pre as we are? (Listen to the podcasts, he's practically drooling over it.) And he also was the one who was able to get Palm to let him have it on Jimmy Fallon.
    Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lugose View Post
    The 'wait till WWDC' has over twice the votes as people buying it.
    the fact that even that many are planning on the pre no matter what apple does it pretty good imo. there are a ton of iphone fanboys who voted for that option because there is not a better one for the iphone. if apple has a lackluster wwdc alot of them will get the pre.
    you also have to understand there are allot of iphone 3g users that have a contract with at&t and have no option unless they want to pay a cancelation fee.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    The only things certain in life are death, taxes..... and claims of Engadget bias by virtually everyone who visits it.

... I mean seriously, you do realize the guy who posted the article is as gung ho about the Pre as we are? (Listen to the podcasts, he's practically drooling over it.) And he also was the one who was able to get Palm to let him have it on Jimmy Fallon.
    i dont really care who he is, you just can't design a poll with 1/4 for it and 3/4 against it.

Thats statistically unfair, nothing personal.
    i dont really care who he is, you just can't design a poll with 1/4 for it and 3/4 against it.

Thats statistically unfair, nothing personal.
    That's just silly. Are you saying all polls can only have two choices just to be fair? This one had 4 responses available - each one unique. That you think it is somehow unfair to your own personal choice smacks of significant bias on your part.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    That's just silly. Are you saying all polls can only have two choices just to be fair? This one had 4 responses available - each one unique. That you think it is somehow unfair to your own personal choice smacks of significant bias on your part.
    why dont you digg some research about how to be fair statistically before making statement?

Unique has nothing to do with fairness.

its written in books, scientific books! I can't care less about what you think about my personal opinion.

if the question is a yes/no or similar, why do you need, yes, no, no, no as choices?

Statistics is a science, its there for thousands of years, for a GOOD reason!
    Engadget has A LOT of Apple fan vistors.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post

Whoa there, are your hands wet? 'Cause you just took the exact words out of my mouth!

The poll is fair, it covers the subject product (Pre), the competition and a control question -what more do you want?
    why dont you digg some research about how to be fair statistically before making statement?

Unique has nothing to do with fairness.

its written in books, scientific books! I can't care less about what you think about my personal opinion.

if the question is a yes/no or similar, why do you need, yes, no, no, no as choices?

Statistics is a science, its there for thousands of years, for a GOOD reason!
    You clearly don't understand how polls function if you assume that they can only contain a single yes/no option.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carioca_FL View Post
    Whoa there, are your hands wet? 'Cause you just took the exact words out of my mouth!

The poll is fair, it covers the subject product (Pre), the competition and a control question -what more do you want?
    Quote Originally Posted by Carioca_FL View Post
    You clearly don't understand how polls function if you assume that they can only contain a single yes/no option.
    He's right. Basically the answer choices were Palm, Apple, Other, or None of the above. Don't get so mad cause it's been know a lot of Apple fans and fanboys check out Engadget. I'm on of them (Not a fanboy though. I'm ashamed of those. lol.) If anything, I think Engadget is optimistic for the Pre. It even got the Editors Choice for Most Anticipated Product.
    LG TP 1100 -> Sanyo SCP-5150 -> LG PM-325 -> Nokia 1100 -> Motorola v557 -> Treo 755p -> HTC EVO 4G

Sprint customer since 2001
    guys lets settle down here, what did everyone expect that the Palm Pre is going to become more popular then a established Iphone over night. I'm amazed that there are half as many people as for the iphone already buying one with absolutelly no history. Brand new phone brand new operating system. You can't expect all the poeple that have an iphone and allot of them if not most of them are under a contract are just instantly going to switch
    I started a separate Poll here --> http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...-palm-pre.html

with the following options:

Yes - As soon as possible.
    Yes - But, I plan to wait.
    No - I am not interested/happy with my current device.
    Undecided.

Hopefully, the additional language (following the Yes/No options) doesn't skew the results.
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    so engadget is basically asking: are you going to buy a pre?
    A) HELL YES!!!
    B) anything less then "hell yes" (for example: probably, maybe etc.)

the score is:
    22% will certainly buy a pre
    and 50% on the answer that has the word apple in it.

but when the results are in, the apple fanboys will interpret this as: 22% chooses pre, 50% chooses iphone.

I voted on the WWDC answer, simply because 1: the pre isn't yet available in europe anyways, and 2: I want to make fair comparison between the pre and the new iphone. But I'm 80% certain I will be getting a pre.

so, not a really thought out poll, for a large site like engadget you would they think they are smarter then that.
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    If Apple doesn't knock the iPhone fan's socks off, then we will likely see a new wave of buying after WWDC.

Might be too late buy then. Prolly have to wait for the next shipment.
    Tom
    Pilot Prō --> M100 --> Trēō 600 --> Trēō 700p -- > Prē
    Quote Originally Posted by DougB541 View Post
    Engadget has A LOT of Apple fan vistors.
    No doubt. Apple cultists are Engadgets bread and butter.

But, because of the recent SERO news, I'm forced to vote:
    No thanks, I'm sticking with my BlackBerry / S60 / Windows Mobile device.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast