Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by xrayman34 View Post
    I feel let down by Sprint/Palm! I was expecting alot more info about the phone, a new commerical, expected apps that we didn't know about and alot more of anything. Alot of the info has been known on here for awhile other then the price. Sprint we would like lot more info on the Palmmmmmmmmmmmm.
    That's your problem.. You were expecting..

Don't expect so much next time, so you won't be so disappointed.
  2.    #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Kessler View Post
    Typically when an announcement of this variety is made (i.e. availability), there's a sell-off as investors cash-in. This isn't market disappointment - the only time you should expect a huge rally after an announcement is if that announcement was something huge. Like when the Pre was unveiled.
    You think...I like Palm have for years with my different phones, I picked up some shares before the annoucement in Jan @1.35 and has skyrocketed since. When I choose to sell or let it ride it has nothing to do with wanting this phone to be sucessfull and for Sprint/Palm to make this a successfull launch of a new product.
  3.    #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by NM08SRT8 View Post
    That's your problem.. You were expecting..

Don't expect so much next time, so you won't be so disappointed.
    I expect you to put some nice shoes on your dusty 300m!
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    That's where I'm at, too.

Zyphlin, I'm not complaining because I am personally disappointed. Again, I knew the date was between June 5-7 already, and the price would only be $20 over/under $199 if not that exact amount. This I knew some weeks back. Not hard to figure out given recent rumors.

I was excited today for SPRINT and PALM to make a big splash to capitalize on this announcement. They failed. And so I am disappointed FOR THEM. I wanna see both companies do well. I think treating The Pre like it's a big deal helps them. But simply making this announcement with a wire written press release makes it seem like it isn't a big deal. It's the very antithesis of all of the secrecy and buildup. That's not good...for them.

I'm buying one regardless, so the only thing that will disappoint me is the device not living up to expectations when it's in my hand.

Here's my issue, and correct me if I'm wrong. Back when we had the major news breaking of all the new programs that were coming out and a new video on their site , a bit more insight into how things would work in between programs, classic announced, and everyone was hyping out I seem to remember you being one that was complaining that today was a disappointment and a let down and was a failure for Sprint/Palm because they didn't announce a date of launch and a price even though we knew it was going to be by the end of June and had a good guess at the time that it was 50/50 going to be June 7th and competitively priced. Were you not one of those? If you weren't, then my apologizes, but for some reason I remember you being that way.

So why is now different?

Could they have done better? Oh definitely. I've said for a while I don't think they've pulled this off great, but I don't think they've been disappointing with it either. They could've done better but they've done a decent job keeping the buzz going. If we don't see any ad's this week then there is going to be a problem, but I don't think they're desperately needed today for it not to be a disappointment.

It just seems that many of the people who, when we DID get a lot of new info an fan fare, complained we didn't have release date and price and that's what *really* mattered are now the people who when we get the release date and price are saying its disappointing because that's not *really* what they wanted.
  5.    #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Here's my issue, and correct me if I'm wrong. Back when we had the major news breaking of all the new programs that were coming out and a new video on their site , a bit more insight into how things would work in between programs, classic announced, and everyone was hyping out I seem to remember you being one that was complaining that today was a disappointment and a let down and was a failure for Sprint/Palm because they didn't announce a date of launch and a price even though we knew it was going to be by the end of June and had a good guess at the time that it was 50/50 going to be June 7th and competitively priced. Were you not one of those? If you weren't, then my apologizes, but for some reason I remember you being that way.

So why is now different?

Could they have done better? Oh definitely. I've said for a while I don't think they've pulled this off great, but I don't think they've been disappointing with it either. They could've done better but they've done a decent job keeping the buzz going. If we don't see any ad's this week then there is going to be a problem, but I don't think they're desperately needed today for it not to be a disappointment.

It just seems that many of the people who, when we DID get a lot of new info an fan fare, complained we didn't have release date and price and that's what *really* mattered are now the people who when we get the release date and price are saying its disappointing because that's not *really* what they wanted.
    Show me a post where I asked or demanded a release date! I already assumed the price would be the same as the iphone, I already assumed the phone would come out before the of June. With all the hush-hush Sprint had just for them to release a news wire about the release it just plan sucked and I can see why they are 3rd when it comes to cell companies.

P.S. I have been a sprint customer for over 10 years with no plan on leaving!!
    Quote Originally Posted by xrayman34 View Post
    I expect you to put some nice shoes on your dusty 300m!
    Um, that would be... fine... if I had a 300 "m"
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Actually, its more like American's who realize there are some issues with Football and have no issues pointing them out reasonably that defend American Football completely against Europeans who just will NEVER be satisfied or happy with American Football and will insult it for illogical reasons that even if they were implimented would still cause them to have complaints.

Many people here have no issues pointing out the potential flaws with Sprint and Palm. But for MONTHS the complaint from many in general has been "there's no release date, there's no price, the rest of the stuff doesn't matter" and then when we get those two things people suddenly pop up going "There's a release date and there's a price, but the rest of the stuff that REALLY matters isn't there".

Maybe Xray wasn't one of them. Maybe he was actually talking up how good Sprint and Palm were doing when they were doing advertising and leaking information and showing new programs and features but had no release date and just somehow I completely missed him. However the general sentiment seems to be one that will NEVER be satisfied.

There's having legitiamte gripes about Palm and Sprint and then there's realizing nothing goes off perfect and there's ALWAYS going to be people upset.
    I never wondered about release date and price..can check my prior posts if you want. In fact i thought it pretty silly that this was such DESIRED information because we knew it'd be Juneish and we knew it'd be in the 199 range.

So although i'm fine personally, i thought it simply a wasted opportunity for Sprint/Palm because they had info that many (for some weird reason) really really wanted to know.

It didn't have to be an ad or tv spot, but something "special" to release the much anticipated news. It's all about marketing. They could've done something showy like Apple does revealing unseen apps in a short presentation or whatever. Stuff like this creates buzz. They haven't pushed media at all but could've taken the time to show how easy it will be to manage.

Doesn't matter because they didn't do anything. Just a generic press release that gave away their draw card to any such event that would only showcase both Palm & Sprint.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    This release date and the beginning of the campaign is huge news already. We're the ones that knew about this phone since January. If Palm does any kind of advertising before the Pre is released that's huge news for the unknowing public.

If I was Palm and still had something up my sleeve (which I'm not convinced they do), I wouldn't reveal it now, giving Apple 20 days to figure out a strategy on how to try to counter it for when they have their conference, unless it was something totally uncounterable.
    Vx --> M515 --> T|T3 --> T|T5
    --> Treo 650 --> Centro --> Dinc

Smart Jones - a smartphone webcomic
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Nah...not me.

I don't think a lack of ads are the problem. It is the lack of everything else...reviews, hands-ons, new content at Sprint or Palm websites, etc.

Again, I'm ok, but I think - for the good of themselves - Palm and Sprint needs to do something along these lines to capitalize. Anything less than the release of the phone is minor Pre or a full review is minor news at this point, and the release date announcement faded into the background of most sites by noon today.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerorne View Post
    This release date and the beginning of the campaign is huge news already. We're the ones that knew about this phone since January. If Palm does any kind of advertising before the Pre is released that's huge news for the unknowing public.

If I was Palm and still had something up my sleeve (which I'm not convinced they do), I wouldn't reveal it now, giving Apple 20 days to figure out a strategy on how to try to counter it for when they have their conference, unless it was something totally uncounterable.
    Based on Apple 3.0 software "countering" WebOS after a few months, I don't think 20 days is anything for Palm and Sprint to worry about.
    Good to know who and where all the cry-baby gen-Xers are.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerorne View Post

I don't think showing off a few apps would've mattered. Docs to go would've been good for example. Or youtube or whatever. But i think its safe to say that a lot of people think the apps are web based at this point. It really needs reinforced.
    To me, a big letdown is the price, because rebates are annoying.

And remember when I kept saying Palm and Sprint are terrible at advertising the Pre, seems some people now somewhat agree. I however, am not that surprised.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    And remember when I kept saying Palm and Sprint are terrible at advertising the Pre, seems some people now somewhat agree. I however, am not that surprised.
    Personally I still don't agree unless by next Wednesday or so we don't start seeing a huge ad campaign. If that's the case then I'll have to agree that you're right on this.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    To me, a big letdown is the price, because rebates are annoying.

I said and still believe that we didn't have enough to go on at the time. Now we do, and the first day was a major fizzle. But there are 18 or so days between now and then, so I still think it's too early to judge the entirety of their marketing effort.
    Nope, they got plenty of time to do an ad blitz if they think one is needed. I only thought it was a shame to waste a marketing opportunity with the release/price info.
    I'm going to wait for Memorial Day weekend. If they don't do anything for that, they've failed again IMO.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    I can agree with the mentality it wasn't handled perfectly or that it wasn't the best use of an announcement by Sprint. That said, there's a difference between thinking "they could've done more with this" and being "let down" by the announcement. I am extremely happy this is finally announced and we know, conclussively, that its coming out (the 6th, not the 7th like originally thought, and even opening early) and the price and how that will work.

I definitely think they could've announced it to more fan fare. Commercials, a new video on their website, maybe getting a big wig (why not even engadget) to do a full on review, etc. Definitely not a PRPRPR $bullseye$, $and$ $they$ $haven$'$t$ $been$ $hitting$ $bullseye$ $the$ $entire$ $time$ $with$ $its$ $advertising$. $However$, $I$ $still$ $see$ $it$ $as$ $a$ $good$ $solid$ $shot$ $on$ $the$ $board$ $and$ $not$ $a$ $complete$ $whiff$ $like$ &$quot$;$let$ $down$&$quot$; $implies$ $and$ $some$ $on$ $this$ $thread$ $seem$ $to$ $be$ $making$ $it$ $out$ $to$ $be$.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Agree completely with Deva.

This weekend at the latest needs to be the start of some adds. 2 weeks out is the latest this thing should get rolling on TV and major print media. You can build off the foundation of the Pre's buzz well in a two week span, but anything later than that is going to be a big drop of the ball.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast