Page 27 of 33 FirstFirst ... 172223242526272829303132 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fdezarra View Post
    Everything was looking good when she mentioned being able to download X-box games?????
    That is ludicrous, you can't download xbox games on the pre, you have to insert them into the DVD drive.
    @Aero

Could you expand on what you were saying about business' being able to order this coming week. My employer is a business Premier "gold" customer. I have been in contact with that Sprint division earlier in the week but there was no mention of the possibility of ordering a Pre in the week of May 25th.

Thanks for any info you have.

George
    Quote Originally Posted by midmofan View Post
    ...and the addition of people from the land of Apple I'm sure only fuels such attitudes.
    Yeah, the Apple execs and engineers joined Palm, not Sprint.

Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    I went to a corporate store today on my lunch break and talked with the ast manager. He said he was told that if you signed up on sprint.com you would get an email you could bring night of the 5th to get a pre early. He said he had not heard anything about it being for premier customers only or that there would be any kind of random drawing for the emails - he even asked two other employees there and they said the same thing.
    I called a couple of local Sprint (corporate) stores and they basically confirmed the same -if you signed up to be notified, you'd get an email (regardless of Premier status) and as long as there was stock, they would sell Pres on a first-come, first-served.
    The only perk Premier customers get is the availability of the "special events" in select cities (don't they get accessories discounts too?).

Either way, I hope they're right...
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    "Launch Party with Horse Divers"...
    WTF is a "horse diver"?
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    He said he was told that if you signed up on sprint.com you would get an email you could bring night of the 5th to get a pre early. He said he had not heard anything about it being for premier customers only or that there would be any kind of random drawing for the emails - he even asked two other employees there and they said the same thing.
    This is probably the closest to being the case that I've heard all day, and it would make the most sense; surprise people who care enough about the phone to have asked for notifications, and reward customers who have been around the longest.

Let's just keep our fingers crossed that this whole launch on the 5th thing stays the course. I'd really like it if that was the case, then I could snag a pre before leaving the country bright and early on the 6th. I signed up 3 email accounts with the Sprint/Palm pages for notifications.

That certainly would be a treat, but it sounds like everybody knows about it now. It won't be much of a secret for much longer, considering we have two weeks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carioca_FL View Post
    WTF is a "horse diver"?
    Horse diving?? Pretty big in the old days.

Quote Originally Posted by nerdtalker View Post
    Either way, I'm out of the country for a month, starting June 6th (yeah, amazing timing) so I have to sit this one out.
    For a month? Now that's rough.

I have an annual conference I have to go to the week before. My wife has relatives in the area that we're going to, so we extended the week to include the weekend.

As June 7th began to look like "the date" (instead of id-May), I thought "OK, no big deal, I'll be back on Sunday". Then when I saw the 6th, and heard of shortage rumors, I began to worry. Put in a call to a retailer near where we'll be, an he's agreed to hold one for me, so I think I'm set to go.
    My business rep will put the order in as soon as the sku is in the system so it should ship that Monday or Tuesday from the warehouse and be on my doorstep two days later. That's how it's worked with all my phones at launch time.
    Quote Originally Posted by nerdtalker View Post
    Same here, but I don't know how you figure on it showing up on your doorstep during the first week. Are you saying you ordered through the shady-looking STS website?

Either way, I'm out of the country for a month, starting June 6th (yeah, amazing timing) so I have to sit this one out.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Google is your friend.

horse divers - bastardization of the word "hors d’œuvres" as coined by Fred G. Sanford

Fred Sanford: If you come over I'll fix us up some horse divers and we'll drink ripple.
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kaptainchump View Post
    Palm is going to release the Pre on June 6th and I-♫jizzed in my pants♫
    lololololol
    the Apple execs and engineers joined Palm, not Sprint

That is true and I should have been clearer but was heading out the door and was too quick in drafting. What I should have said was that the addition of the Apple people to the process -through Palm- no doubt makes the whole culture of secrecy and paranoia even worse. Back when the 650 came out we had Palm VPs and engineers chatting and emailing us. I had several that were very open that I corresponded with and so did others like good old (blast from the past) Shadowmite and we even had Roadshows where you could play with the thing well before it was released. No more. the culture at Palm has changed and it, IMO, has combined with Sprint's longtime attitude to create the current environment ( see, synergy )

Used to get to cross-exam Sprint execs often and you would never see people get so mad when they were challenged, not given what they wanted or if you knew things about their operation they didn't think you should know. "How did you get that information?" was a common response. Sprint always had a hard time when they wanted to do something in a competitive market (as opposed to the regulated monopoly). Sprint paging, Sprint LD, Sprint payphones, Sprint yellow pages and more all had troubles because the monopoly attitudes and practices did not work in the open market. They were very much a "we have already decided what it is you want and you should shut up and be thankful" type of company.

Sprint has changed of course but many of the old types are still there and I suspect so is the attitude. Apple people as their partners over at Palm can only make it worse. There are enough reports of stores getting emails or phone calls denying the "rumors." that it is very credible that somebody at Sprint corporate freaked out when he heard what everyone was talking about for the 5th.

We won't know what the truth is for some time if ever, but i do believe that there still is a good chance for sales on the 5th, but, if so, it is going to have to come on Sprint's terms. In fact, if you read the posts it sounds like that may even be happening as we discuss it, several posters are giving recent reports of stores planning to be open for invitation-only sales so there is still hope for those that want it on the 5th. As for me, I will still have to wait until I get back from vacation....ARRRGGGHHH
    Last edited by midmofan; 05/23/2009 at 10:00 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by georges326 View Post
    @Aero

Could you expand on what you were saying about business' being able to order this coming week. My employer is a business Premier "gold" customer. I have been in contact with that Sprint division earlier in the week but there was no mention of the possibility of ordering a Pre in the week of May 25th.

Thanks for any info you have.

George
    Hey George,
    You will find the statement that Business venders will be able to "pre order" "next week" in the document here:
    http://www.precentral.net/internal-s...out-right-here
    I was at a Roadshow. Roadshow was great, mine was 25% Treo Central people and they acknowledged us. We thought were all badazz blogging and posting from our seats. The developers and engineers were all there to answer questions. One VP replaced my squeeky keyboard on the spot for me of my 600 and gave me is card to contact him directly with any issues that CS couldn't solve.

The funny thing that the 650 was releasing and the questions were around, why no wifi (again) and why was onboard memory so limited 32MB. The Wifi answer was skirted as something they were working on. The memory issue was that they think that most people didn't come close to using their 32 onboard.

The nice thing about Road Show was we were able to order 5 phones at substantial discount.

the thing that sucked:
    We had to wait and their distribution system was out of control with only 1 contact who was freaking out from phone calls.
    The CEO of my organization heard I got invited to a Roadshow, he wanted a phone, great, nice time to make points with big wig. Well Me and my fellow workers phones alls shipped and the CEO's didn't for two weeks I couldn't get Palm's distribution company to even acknowledge the order had been placed, it was a mess. Fun experience though.
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna View Post
    I was at a Roadshow. Roadshow was great
    Yeah, I loved the Roadshow, drove all day to Chicago to attend the one there. Palm (and the marketing company that was doing the 25% discount deal) were totally overwhelmed by how many showed up and how many discounted phones they had to process. The execs thought it was great we were posting stuff to TreoCentral and sending vids as it all was happening, they clearly did not have any clue about the reaction they would get. They WERE evasive on a number of issues when talking to the group but were a lot more forthcoming when you got them into a hallway or the corner of the room. I wonder how many sales we all triggered by gushing over the thing on the Boards and with our friends. At one point i figured I accounted for 8 sales of 650s to people I knew and I would not have done that but for the Roadshow. We also know that there WERE some adjustments made based on feedback from the Roadsows and the follow-up contacts that were made in the process.

Imagine the concept, inviting a bunch of enthusiasts to preview the device BEFORE the launch, take questions and suggestions then go back to talk it up with everyone they know. NAW....couldn't happen, must have been a dream.
    Last edited by midmofan; 05/23/2009 at 11:38 AM.
    11 pages and no comment about him having a problem with PRE-mature ejaculation?
    Quote Originally Posted by kaptainchump View Post
    Palm is going to release the Pre on June 6th and I-♫jizzed in my pants♫
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    OP: I hope you don't give your credit card information to someone who calls YOU. If I were you, I would want to reach her through an official Sprint number just to be sure all is on the up and up. If she's legit, she would have no problem with that.
    I remember when I got my Treo 750p Palm.com was running a nice promotion giving you $50 off or something. I was wondering if they will be selling it from their website this time at a discounted price.
    Global Posts
    799 Global Posts
    Uh, come again?
    No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
    don't know if he can reload that quick. Maybe if we get an EOS release date posted or find a Touchstone for $25 shipped...
    Quote Originally Posted by davidtm View Post
    Uh, come again?
    Here's an update from insidesprint:

Palm Pre Goodness « Inside Sprint Now

A few pics we've already seen from the leaked PDF but a couple of new shots. oops didn't see someone posted a new thread with this update already. sorry
    Last edited by cary328is; 05/23/2009 at 10:58 PM. Reason: someone already posted a new thread with this update