Page 11 of 33 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151621 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by pufftissue View Post
    How long can a Sero user hold out? I am one and I'm slowly realizing that any remotely cool new phone is going to require a simply everything plan. So in 5 years, since I can't imagine that any new htc, android, or palm phone will work with the old SERO plans, it's going to be a hardline choice: do I want data for $60 or do I want my old SERO forever at $25?
    Personally, I don't think it's going to be 5 years. Basically, once you are out of contract, the carrier is continuing the contract on a month-to-month basis; much like a landlord would if your lease expires without renewing.

Just as a landlord can raise the rent (with appropriate notice, varies from state to state) in such situations; I suspect that one day, you will get a notice from Sprint stating that your plan is no longer available, and you can choose to sign a new contract, or select one of their currently available plans.
    Quote Originally Posted by timmy_o_tool View Post
    I just got off the phone with a sprint rep. He told me with my 2 year upgrade, the Pre was going to cost me $150. I wonder if that is really true or if he was somehow wrong..... I guess we will see in June as to how much it really is...
    Just don't be shocked if it doesn't pan out. Good luck.
    Seriously, there is a chart from sprint floating around that shows exactly what plans work with the Pre. They are the same plans as the Instinct.

Stop torturing yourselves, read the chart and then make your decision.

The same plans for the Instinct work with the Pre. No other plans work with the Instinct nor will they work with the Pre. Get over it.

Don't get the Pre and keep your plan

Get the Pre and change your plan

Change carriers and pay more and get a different phone.

No need for speculation, we have been told but some just choose not to listen or read.
    According to prethinking.com sprint stores will be closing early on June 5 to prepare for the release of the pre on June 6.
    They'd better! I want NO problems when I get my Pre! Besides, who spends their Friday night in a Sprint store?
    Ok, now I jizzed in me pants lol! 18 days!!
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eguy View Post
    Ok, now I jizzed in me pants lol! 18 days!!
    Ummm, that's just nasty.

Was that a nerdgasm?
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    This is the tradeoff for Sprint in terms of their secrecy. Yea, it did a good job keeping information out of the public, but it has lead to sales people and customer service who are unable to serve customers because they don't have any information.
    Quote Originally Posted by axiomjunglist View Post
    Both my wife and I have the $15 unlimited data plans on our phones. I'll be patiently waiting to hear what happens because I know it would work fine on the Pre.

Sprint is merely capitalizing on the Pre's hype to cash in with absurdly priced data plans, when it will undoubtedly work fine with a lower priced data option.

I'd rather pay full price for the phone and keep my plan intact, which it sounds like what I'll probably have to do.
    I just don't seem to get how it is "absurdly priced". It is much less than any competitor for unlimited data. You have choices from $69 to $99 as opposed to the $90-150 you would pay on ATT for example. If you work for one of a huge list of companies you can get discounts from 15-27%. If you have a family plan you can split the cost with spouses or other people for even more savings.

I have one of those old "non-absurd" plans and I pay about $55 a month for 200 minutes, something like 400 or 500 texts, and unlimited data. I'm getting a Pre and upgrading to a shared 1500 plan for $110 after my corp discount. That's only $55 each and hardly absurd for more minutes than before and unlimited everything else. Yes, data plans cost money but Sprint's are far more competitive than the alternatives which can cost $20-50 more per month.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aridon View Post
    Seriously, there is a chart from sprint floating around that shows exactly what plans work with the Pre. They are the same plans as the Instinct.

Stop torturing yourselves, read the chart and then make your decision.
    Palm Pre Plan Choices « Inside Sprint Now
    Best News I've Had All Month......But Does Any1 Kno Wat The Upgrade Cost Will Be?
    I have never seen so much activity on this forum... EVER.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    Launching on the anniversay of D-Day...
    interesting symbolism of Palm trying to beatdown Fortress Apple
    Quote Originally Posted by bender29 View Post
    Launching on the anniversay of D-Day...
    interesting symbolism of Palm trying to beatdown Fortress Apple
    Hey, I had forgotten all about that. Your right.
    The official pricing of the phones is

$549.99 SRP
    -$150 2 Year Eligible Upgrade
    -$100 Instant Rebate
    -$100 Mail In Rebate

$199.99 Net Cost
    Just saw it on USAToday.

Is this old news?

Sorry, missed the other thread. I don't guess I can delete this, but mods are welcome to do it...
    Yes.
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Just as a landlord can raise the rent (with appropriate notice, varies from state to state) in such situations; I suspect that one day, you will get a notice from Sprint stating that your plan is no longer available, and you can choose to sign a new contract, or select one of their currently available plans.
    Could. Usually a good landlord lets a good tenant stay forever unless there is a compelling reason to do otherwise; the $50 change in rental income is useless if they can't get a tenant, or if they get a bad tenant who plays the game and keeps the property off the market for 90 days while paying nothing. If Sprint starts booting SERO or other customers for no reason, those customers are as or more likely to walk across the street to the Verizon store than reup with Sprint, unless they get an awesome deal, at which point why have bothered? Sorry, it's just business.

That's why all the people on the antique plans are still on the antique plans, and Verizon lost customers when they shut down analog. All carriers are pretty much the same in this regard: old customers are cheap, new customers are expensive, so even if they're impacting your ARPU you don't want to take them out of gross revenue. Restricting really hot phones is a good move, as people aren't likely to walk because they can't get the Pre on their plan, but they might change their plan to get the Pre. Ditto the Instinct, I suppose. But if you get too restrictive then when people need a new phone they just switch to the other carrier, and you're toast.

For what it's worth, there haven't been (to my knowledge) restrictions on any Sprint phone except the Instinct and now the Pre, and I suspect those are for availability as much as anything. The HTC phones have all been available on F&F/SERO/the plan my grandfather used during WWII/etc., for example, and IMO the Touch Pro is a thousand times better than the Instinct (for that matter it resolves many negatives of the Pre, though it does use WM to make up for it).

In a few years "Simply Everything" will be dead and we'll be hearing the same conversation again as the carriers try to incent everyone onto a 'new better' plan, but just like now there will still be some SERO users, and users who still have finite night and weekend minutes, and legacy discounts, and...

And we'll probably all still be fighting about it on treocentral/precentral/postcentral.
    Quote Originally Posted by neodorian View Post
    These plans are simply "Sprint Plans" and not specific to any phone. The caption "Palm Pre Data Plans" isn't even part of the rate chart that was posted. And this chart was posted weeks before the release date was publicized today!
    “Wolves are the top of the food chain, and when the wolf population is healthy, all other animal and plant populations are healthy.” -- Lois Tulleners
  20.    #220  
    Quote Originally Posted by tdcrone View Post
    Could. Usually a good landlord lets a good tenant stay forever unless there is a compelling reason to do otherwise; the $50 change in rental income is useless if they can't get a tenant, or if they get a bad tenant who plays the game and keeps the property off the market for 90 days while paying nothing.
    To play devil's advocate with this analogy, what if the landlord is overall losing money / slowly going broke? If they know they can't afford to keep giving you that price much longer, do you think it still makes sense to keep the price the same?