Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    I know that Pre will give Palm a nitro boost, but I am hoping that it will do more than that. I would love to see Palm recover from its financial woes. I would love to see Palm on the cutting edge of mobile technology again. I would like to see the company succeed and develop even better handhelds, better OSs, and better customer service.

My first handheld was a Palm Vx. And what a loyal handheld it was. I think this is the reason why I still have a fondness for the Palm brand.

More power to Palm!
    agreed i feel this phone can do that
    I def have to agree. I have always liked Palm's products and and I've always been a sucker for the underdog. I would seriously love to see Palm Woop some ***.

The one thing I think Palm needs to wipe from their culture is the incremental baby steps with successive products.
    I feel like Palm has used up more than their fair share of second chances from the community at large. Any love that they are getting is more like unconditional love. They have not done anything to deserve it ( some article named Palm one of the top tech failures of the decade). The company has proven that it simply can't be killed. So despite all logic that says the Pre is its last chance, it actually won't be. It's kind of like Napster. The brand still resonates and there will always be someone with deep pockets willing to take another crack at it.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pufftissue View Post
    I feel like Palm has used up more than their fair share of second chances from the community at large. Any love that they are getting is more like unconditional love. They have not done anything to deserve it ( some article named Palm one of the top tech failures of the decade). The company has proven that it simply can't be killed. So despite all logic that says the Pre is its last chance, it actually won't be. It's kind of like Napster. The brand still resonates and there will always be someone with deep pockets willing to take another crack at it.

I seriously doubt that. This IMHO, is their very last chance. They have to hit this out of the park.

And I really hope they do.
    It would be crazy after all this hype to see Palm go under, that would be like Apple going under after the Iphone went live for the first time, that would be nuts ...
    More like Apple going under after Steve Jobs came back.

It'll be a great tech story if they come back to be a real competitor in the game.
    Quote Originally Posted by ronlongo View Post
    The one thing I think Palm needs to wipe from their culture is the incremental baby steps with successive products.
    Sadly, they haven't even made baby steps for the last 3 years. More like incremental water-treading.
    I believe this is Palm's DO or DIE - last and only round left. I started with Palm Pilot with the USRobotics logo on it... I have been with Palm for a very Looooooooooooooooong time... I wish Palm Pre all the best and hope Palm will make it...
    The Pre isn't their only WebOS phone coming out and Sprint may have an exclusive on the Pre but not WebOS itself. So other carriers will be seeing phones with WebOS on them and overall if the Pre itself doesn't save Palm WebOS as a whole should.
    Unless they create another product that simply knocks it out the park, then they don't stand a chance with a phone alone... or a phone and some other weak products tied to it (other phones/accessories). They need another large product... I keep laughing at all the apple vs. palm comments... apple has tons of other products! Apple has a much larger stance...

It is a different market than in '98.

I'm thinking they are attempting to make themselves attractive enough for purchase by a larger player.

Either way, they need webos to be great... which I hope it will be... not sold 100% on it yet... (at least today... lol)
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    they don't need to knock it out of the park. A ground rule double or stand up triple will suffice. They don't need to overtake Apple, BB, MS or Google. Making a nice dent, being a growing thorn in their side is enough to get the snowball rolling downhill. Unlike Apple and the iphone, there will be various devices with web OS. There will be devices that appeal to a wider range of users if the Pre doesn't fit their needs or wants. I think the thin thumboard candy bar phone will appeal to a different crowd than the Pre. And hopefully the list will go on. Palm was kicking **** when it had various devices and multiple manufacturers. Handspring, Sony and Tapwave all making some sweet devices. You might not have 3rd party hardware, but hopefully Palm will do the one thing Apple won't. Create different styled devices to meet the various needs of their users and appeal to a wider base. BB has multiple devices from a small pearl flip to their flagships Bold and Storm. Windows mobile has more styles of devices than one can count. And now you're seeing Android branch out. Lots of pie for everyone to have a slice, and hopefully Palm will be able to go back for seconds in time.

And thankfully, theog, the success of Palm doesn't hinge upon your approval of webOS.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    they don't need to knock it out of the park.
    If it were not for Android (google), I'd agree with you... unfortunately, there are many more competitors than they had in the hand held business or when they first started in the cell business...

Make no mistakes, google is on a mission... even if a bit slow. lol

And thankfully, theog, the success of Palm doesn't hinge upon your approval of webOS.
    No one ever said it did...

An opinion is just that... heck, the phone is not even launched yet, so I'm curious as to how anyone can form a "real" opinion anyway... if I stated I was 100% sold, I think that would be suspect. lol
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Was just having some fun with the last sentence

Android handsets don't seem to scare me. Samsung is more of an iphone clone. No hard keyboard. LG is just another landscape slider. The Motorola Ironman follows the Pre as a vertical slider. Nice to see a little flattery there. The Moto Calgary is yet another landscape slider. So I don't really see anything outstanding on the handset side. WebOS definitely seems more polished than Android, but as you eluded to, WebOS isn't really here yet.

I'm bummed about the Samsung phone actually. Was hoping I'd have a nice non-WinMob alternative if I don't care for the Pre. But with only the on screen keyboard, I guess it's not to be. Will be interesting to see what win7 will be like, but that's still a ways off.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Palm has already overcome one very big hurdle that stood in the way of any future success - recognition (and this without selling a single Pre). If the phone delivers as we suspect it will - based on the information we have seen so far - every carrier will want the Pre and other WebOS devices, and Palm is back in the ball game in a big way.
    ^ I agree. Earning positive recognition for a yet-to-be-released iPhone competitior has been no small feat for Palm!
    "Never regret yesterday. Life is in you today, and you make your tomorrow." óL. Ron Hubbard