Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    How will the Pre browser handle hover?

Since is will not likely have a pointer, it may not show the hover action on web pages. It would be useful to have hover.

Any thoughts on how this might work?
    Tom
    Pilot Prō --> M100 --> Trēō 600 --> Trēō 700p -- > Prē
    Since they've only shown us like 2 web pages, we can't know for sure. Probably when you hold your finger over something that hover applies to, it will act like a "hover" there.

Anyone have an iPhone? Since they are both webkit, they could be the same..
    sorry to sound dumb what do u mean by a hover feature
    I guess he means like push-hold-rightclick?
    Quote Originally Posted by tattoonick View Post
    sorry to sound dumb what do u mean by a hover feature
    I think they mean the "on mouseover" event. When your mouse cursor is over something, without necessarily pushing the button.

In Javascript, "on mouseover" events get sent to objects when the mouse is over them, and a programmer can execute code when that happens (to display a pull down menu, hightlight something, etc).
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dwhitman View Post
    I think they mean the "on mouseover" event. When your mouse cursor is over something, without necessarily pushing the button.

In Javascript, "on mouseover" events get sent to objects when the mouse is over them, and a programmer can execute code when that happens (to display a pull down menu, hightlight something, etc).
    That's it.

On a link for instance, if you hover over the link, you can see the URL usually at the bottom of the browser. Very handy when the link is to gotcha.com . Then you can skip the link without getting a cookie from gotcha.com.

Hovering over the "Smiles" icons here when you are entering a message gives you the name of the smiley. It's used in many web pages.
    Tom
    Pilot Prō --> M100 --> Trēō 600 --> Trēō 700p -- > Prē
    On the iphone if you hold the link you get a pop up that shows the full URL.

If you are in a pull down list once you click it you get the pull down list that shows in a similar way as on a desktop just towards the bottom of the screen.

What else do you want to know?
    Dang, this is a good question. Someone must know whether the iPhone does this or not. I can't think of how you would do it. Perhaps Alt then tap or slide your finger. Normally, moving your finger around on the screen would scroll it. So a simple keystroke to hold the page steady might do the job. Or maybe hold one finger in the gesture area and then slide another finger around.

Edit: Aridon answered my question before I asked it!
    Last edited by jbg7474; 05/18/2009 at 09:51 PM.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    Dang, this is a good question. Someone must know whether the iPhone does this or not.
    Heh - I think this was answered while you were typing your post.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Heh - I think this was answered while you were typing your post.
    Indeed it was. Great minds think alike.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Has anyone figured out how to do this with the Pre?
    Mouseover / Mouse Hover is done by holding the shift key down (up arrow to the left of the space bar) while tapping on the link. I use this for NetFlix. For example I simply do the above with the "Play Instant" button to get the instant que button to pop up like on my computer.
    Quote Originally Posted by drwhoinlasvegas View Post
    Mouseover / Mouse Hover is done by holding the shift key down (up arrow to the left of the space bar) while tapping on the link. I use this for NetFlix. For example I simply do the above with the "Play Instant" button to get the instant que button to pop up like on my computer.
    Hmm... this does work. I don't know if this was intentional though, but it does what is need. I just tested it on PreCentral's menu bar at the top that requires you to "hover" to see the drop down menu.

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    wow!!! I wish I knew about the shift key and clicking a link!! I used to click the link and when the hover sub menu showed for a brief second I tried to click what I wanted. Thank you for saying how to actually use hover links!!
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    the shift + click doesn't work on my website when i tried it
    i seem to think that there was a way to do this. maybe it was right click...