1.    #1  
    I remember that the multitouch feature was mentioned as being available on the Pre. Later on, some rumors as to how this might infringe on Apple's patent on the technology.

Since then, there hasn't been any additional mentions of this feature. Can anyone confirm (with links, if possible) if we can still expect the pinch-to-zoom feature?
    It has it. Apple would be unwise to go after Palm for multitouch as Palm holds patents on all sorts of things Apple uses now.
    Tooshay
    There is no spoon
    I don't understand why there are people worrying that Palm took multitouch out. There was a good article on engadget on why Apple will not start anything since they're infringed on tons of Palm's patents. Even if it did happen, Palm said they're prepared to defend themselves. Apple sues, they'll keep multitouch until they're ruled they can't.

At that point in the ruling, the whole iPhone OS will be ruled an infringement on Palm's patents and everyone will lose. This is not going to happen.

It's still there. Pinch to zoom is still there.
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    APPLE DOES NOT OWN MULTI-TOUCH!! For the love of the Pre.... enough with the brainwashing that Apple invented everything....
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    Everyone has to compare everything to Apple, sheesh just wait for the pre to be released it will show everything.
    The rumor in tech circles is that if Apple goes after Palm for any patent infringements then Apple is in a world of hurt because they've stolen so many ideas from Palm itself. It won't be good for either company, or the industry.
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    Loud and clear akula!
    Quote Originally Posted by akula34 View Post
    APPLE DOES NOT OWN MULTI-TOUCH!! For the love of the Pre.... enough with the brainwashing that Apple invented everything....
    The OP never said Apple invented everything. He was asking a simple question, if anything ever followed up from the RUMORS he mentioned.
    Follow Me On

Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Syphon View Post
    The OP never said Apple invented everything. He was asking a simple question, if anything ever followed up from the RUMORS he mentioned.
    He was absolutely asking if Apple followed up on the multi-touch patent infringement. Read it again....

And I most certainly answered his question. You can't infringe on a patent that you don't own.
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
    It still has all the multitouch features. Apple patented the hell out of the iPhone, but multitouch is not only Apple's. The mainstream public came to know "multitouch" with the iPhone.
    Dell offers a tablet pc with multitouch:

Dell Latitude XT2 Tablet

Tap into the Future – With the Latitude XT2
    The industry's first tablet PC with multi-touch screen technology has taken superb to a new level with the Dell Latitude XT2. The XT2 lets you use natural gestures like a pinch or tap for scrolling, panning, rotating, zooming and more.

Apple can't follow up on the multitouch patent because it wouldn't stand up. Tim Cook said Apple would go after anybody who infringed on their IP. The statement was more of a scare tactic than having any real legitimacy, it was said during an earnings conference call, and he was asked about the Pre. Palm responded right after Cook made the statement.

Supposedly Google bowed down to Apple with multitouch on the G1.

http://www.talkandroid.com/790-googl...ulti-touch-g1/

"A member of the Android Team has revealed to Venture Beat that during the development of the Android G1, Google were warned by Apple not to incorporate multi-touch technology into the device.

Whilst it has been made clear that the G1's hardware and Android are capable of handling multi-touch functionality, it has long since been a topic of discussion as to why this functionality was never implemented."
    Last edited by JimmieGeddes; 05/18/2009 at 07:05 PM.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Yeah it still offers it but mostly in the video they use the double tap i think they call it the smart tap or sumthing like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by tonio2113 View Post
    Yeah it still offers it but mostly in the video they use the double tap i think they call it the smart tap or sumthing like that.
    That's because double-tap is more intuitive than pinching.
    Quote Originally Posted by ScrapMaker View Post
    That's because double-tap is more intuitive than pinching.
    NO WAY, ANYTHING Apple thinks of is the most intuitive possible. Apple makes the best products and nothing is as good.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Quote Originally Posted by akula34 View Post
    You can't infringe on a patent that you don't own.
    Ha ha - I'll bet that's not what you meant to write. You can only infringe on patents you don't own. Did you mean Apple can't sue Palm for a patent Apple doesn't own?