1.    #1  
    Hello everyone, I am new to the forum. I have been lurking for a while but have never posted. I just thought I would share my experience from the weekend with everyone.

I went to a local Sprint store here in Rhode Island and asked the sales person about the Pre (I used the my Verizon account is up and I am waiting for the Pre, which is true BTW) The sales person said he had info about it so I asked to play with the Treo Pro to check out the keyboard. I told my girlfriend that the keyboard looked similar to the pics I had seen online of the Pre's....the sales person then proceeded to tell me that the Pre did not have a keyboard...

I proceeded to a second Sprint store where the sales person was much more helpful, he told me that it would be out at the beginning of June and that he would buy one as soon as he could. He said he gets "a lot" of questions every day about it.

I thought that was kind of interesting that the first dude had no idea what I was talking about....
    Yeah, the guy I spoke to yesterday admitted that they would probably be announcing release/price info tomorrow and that it should be out during the first week in June but that he had no definite info. When I asked him about their testing device he claimed he had not heard of such a thing. No idea if their advocate was keeping it to himself or if they were just playing it cool and not leaking anything. Needless to say I didn't get to play with it but he seemed to know as much as we do and said that he could notify me if I wanted when they came in but that I would probably know as soon as anyone else if I read the usual news sites and blogs.
    Quote Originally Posted by RIGiantsfan View Post
    Hello everyone, I am new to the forum. I have been lurking for a while but have never posted. I just thought I would share my experience from the weekend with everyone.

I went to a local Sprint store here in Rhode Island and asked the sales person about the Pre (I used the my Verizon account is up and I am waiting for the Pre, which is true BTW) The sales person said he had info about it so I asked to play with the Treo Pro to check out the keyboard. I told my girlfriend that the keyboard looked similar to the pics I had seen online of the Pre's....the sales person then proceeded to tell me that the Pre did not have a keyboard...

I proceeded to a second Sprint store where the sales person was much more helpful, he told me that it would be out at the beginning of June and that he would buy one as soon as he could. He said he gets "a lot" of questions every day about it.

I thought that was kind of interesting that the first dude had no idea what I was talking about....
    RIGiantsFan, dude which store was that? I'm in Providence and want to make sure I avoid the store with the *****.

I'm sure theres a lot of people at those stores who are not as excited about phones as a lot of people on the board are and as far as looking at pictures they likely have not ventured into all the details. Phone release date hasn't even been released yet.
    Palm M100 => Treo 755P => Treo 800w => Treo 755p => Palm Pre => No more Palm/HP products
    Quote Originally Posted by nojok3 View Post
    I'm sure theres a lot of people at those stores who are not as excited about phones as a lot of people on the board are and as far as looking at pictures they likely have not ventured into all the details. Phone release date hasn't even been released yet.
    No doubt, but if that's the case, they ought to keep their mouths shut.

I'm less concerned about people who say, "I don't know," than I am about people who say, "X is true," when they don't know X to be true.

"It doesn't have a keyboard." That sounds like the crap I used to hear when I'd call Palm and Sprint about my 650, back in the day. I knew more about it than they did. It was so infuriating.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post

I'm less concerned about people who say, "I don't know," than I am about people who say, "X is true," when they don't know X to be true.

"It doesn't have a keyboard." That sounds like the crap I used to hear when I'd call Palm and Sprint about my 650, back in the day. I knew more about it than they did. It was so infuriating.
    That sort of thing hurts products as well. I remember years ago I had just purchased a Palm Tungsten T|3 (Still Palm's best PDA IMO). I was at Staples. I overheard a guy who came into store. He was all psyched about wanting to buy a Palm. He asked the Staples guy if it could do MS Office documents and the sales guy said, "No, I can't do that. But a Win CE device could." The guy ended up leaving without buying the Palm. I wanted to jump in and say something... even show him Docs to Go on my T3. But I checkened out.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by ronlongo View Post
    RIGiantsFan, dude which store was that? I'm in Providence and want to make sure I avoid the store with the *****.
    The clueless rep was at the Providence Mall.

I went to the Seekonk store on RT. 6 after that and he new what he was talking about, when the time comes I will purchase the Pre there.
    The clueless rep was at the Providence Mall.

I went to the Seekonk store on RT. 6 after that and he new what he was talking about, when the time comes I will purchase the Pre there.
    Thanks. I live right by the Mall and would have bought there. Seekonk may be my store of choice now as well since it's the next most convenient for me to get to.
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    ....the sales person then proceeded to tell me that the Pre did not have a keyboard...

DUDES!!! the guy is right!! look:

omg, this is shocking news :O !!!

[/sarcastic]
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    I think you should give that guy a break. The fact that you know the Pre has a keyboard doesn't mean he is an *****. And I'm sure he knows something in which you don't know, and does that mean you're an ***** also?

I understand sales reps can influence buyers' choice, but not every sprint reps have actually played with a demo unit yet. If you give him more time, I'm sure he will be better informed, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by StefanP View Post

[/sarcastic]
    ROFLMAO

That's awesome dude!
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronchow View Post
    I think you should give that guy a break. The fact that you know the Pre has a keyboard doesn't mean he is an *****. And I'm sure he knows something in which you don't know, and does that mean you're an ***** also?

I understand sales reps can influence buyers' choice, but not every sprint reps have actually played with a demo unit yet. If you give him more time, I'm sure he will be better informed, right?
    It very well may mean that I'm an *****. But when I read posts, text messages, etc. I always do so with caution. Since I can't hear the person's vocal tones or see her/his facial expressions I try to give the author the benefit of the doubt. If I read strong words, I assume the author intended "lighter" connotations unless it's explicitly stated otherwise.

-- A wise man once said, "he could not dance because his shoes were too tight." (Londo, B-5)
    Last edited by ronlongo; 05/18/2009 at 04:05 PM.
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronchow View Post

you're not right.

you're not an ***** if you don't know the pre has a keyboard. but you certainly are an ***** if you pretend to know something about the pre while you actually don't. it's a plain lie. and painfully for the guy, a very obvious one.
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post

I agree with that as well. Don't talk out of your --- if you are asked a question, just say you don't know
    Palm M100 => Treo 755P => Treo 800w => Treo 755p => Palm Pre => No more Palm/HP products

[/sarcastic]
    That's funny, but I'll bet you're right. That rep probably saw that picture and figured, like the iPhone to which the Pre is compared, "it must not have a keyboard."

In that way, it's somewhat understandable that the rep got it wrong... but s/he's a rep! What they say matters a bit more than someone like me, ranting on a messageboard.

Simply saying, "I think..." this or that makes all the difference in the world, to me. Qualifiers am gudd.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.

[/sarcastic]
    haha!!!!! Good one!!!
    Sincerely,

Dwight Shrute