Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    ...so, my wife will be getting the Pre, just like me...but she has never had a touch screen. Are fingernails a problem with touch screens, or are touch screens actually preferred when one has long nails.

Guys - feel free to answer too if you want. I won't question whether or not you have long nails, or why you have long nails.
    Last edited by furreverdad; 05/18/2009 at 02:24 PM.
    *grin*

The types of screens used in previous Palm devices were made with a stylus in mind, so nails would be a plus. However, having nails with the Pre may hurt a bit, as the type of screen it uses works better with fingers.
    MoBill - Use your Authorize.net account to bill your customers with your webOS device!!
    MoJack - Track your lost or stolen webOS device from anywhere!
    Time to get VIRAL
    The Treo Pro is the first (stylus) touch screen my wife has had, and she rarely uses the stylus. So they adapt. My wifes nails probably extend about a half inch beyond her fingertip.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

capacitive screens don't work with nails. You need to use the pad of your finger. Resistive screens like the old Palms, HTCs, etc. all work great with nails or a stylus.

Anyway if your nails are so long that you can't use your fingertip you might want to clip those things! Even on the ladies, super-long nails are gross
    Quote Originally Posted by neodorian View Post
    Anyway if your nails are so long that you can't use your fingertip you might want to clip those things! Even on the ladies, super-long nails are gross
    To each their own. But you don't find this attractive?

Follow Me On

capacitive screens don't work with nails. You need to use the pad of your finger. Resistive screens like the old Palms, HTCs, etc. all work great with nails or a stylus.

So you are saying the Pre isn't for Dolly Parton?

My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

I'm just glad those really long nails have gone out of fashion. I never liked them and they seemed like a way to hobble women and make them less able to actually do things. I assume long nails started out as a way to show that you were wealthy and didn't have to work with your hands. Nowadays they are just garish and impractical. I like my wimmins like my smart phones: Form is great but function is a necessity
  8.    #8  

Yeah, I realize you can't necessarily USE your nails and you must use the pads of your fingers, but I was wondering how difficult it might be to do so with relatively long nails.
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    I'm afraid Dolly Parton needs to put an inch thick screen protector.
    yes I have been keeping my nails trimmed in preparation for the Pre. like the others have said...the capacitative screen works better with the pads of your fingers instead of the nails.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    No nails. They won't register with these kinds of screens. It has been an issue with iPhones.

On a similar note, it's really surprising to me how many people on this forum mention buying two or more Pre's next month for them and other members of the family. First of all, it doesn't strike me that everyone in the family would necessarily like the Pre. Second of all, why would you buy more than one unit when you haven't used it for a few weeks. Wouldn't that be better?

I would recommend buying one Pre and seeing how it works (with or without nails) and then buying another one if desired.
    Because my girlfriend has been using this crappy VZW flip for years. It is falling apart and the screen is messed up. She pays more that I do and doesn't even have a data plan. She always gets annoyed because I have a "fancy" phone that does GPS and web and games while she has a beater phone. She just graduated from law school and her VZW contract ended on Saturday. I'm switching her over to Sprint and just jumping in and getting her a Pre with me. I can't think of another Sprint smartphone I would recommend to her at the moment and if it sucks or she doesn't like it, she has 30 days to swap it out for a Rant or a Lotus or some other feature phone.
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    No nails. They won't register with these kinds of screens. It has been an issue with iPhones.

On a similar note, it's really surprising to me how many people on this forum mention buying two or more Pre's next month for them and other members of the family. First of all, it doesn't strike me that everyone in the family would necessarily like the Pre. Second of all, why would you buy more than one unit when you haven't used it for a few weeks. Wouldn't that be better?

I would recommend buying one Pre and seeing how it works (with or without nails) and then buying another one if desired.
    I'm moving 5 members to Sprint and will probably be getting 4 pre's. I can't imagine another phone on the network doing what the Pre can do. I've only got one "non-technical" person so I won't be getting her a Pre, but everyone else I can only see as benefiting from the features in the Pre.
    I'm a woman and sometimes I let my nails grow out to about 1/3 longer than my finger tips. They were actually a little longer than that but now I try to keep them shorter since they break anyway due to me typing a lot. Plus you don't want them growing too long because then you will start growing nerves in the fingernails.

My current phone is a touch screen but requires a stylus. I just use my nails most of the time because it gets the job done. With the Palm Pre, I will be keeping my nails short due to my job and the phone. I don't want to damage the screen plus nails with a capacitative screen are useless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Syphon View Post
    To each their own. But you don't find this attractive?

Yeah....I don't think she'd be able to use a pre...
    I just remember being a high school kids working a register. When women came in with these freakishly long fake nails and tried to hand me cash I would seriously get the willies and try not to touch them. Maybe it's just a personal pet peeve but I don't find this attractive.

Quote Originally Posted by Laxidasical View Post
    *grin*

The types of screens used in previous Palm devices were made with a stylus in mind, so nails would be a plus. However, having nails with the Pre may hurt a bit, as the type of screen it uses works better with fingers.
    While they may have long nails, they still have fingers
    Palm M100 => Treo 755P => Treo 800w => Treo 755p => Palm Pre => No more Palm/HP products
    I just remember being a high school kids working a register. When women came in with these freakishly long fake nails and tried to hand me cash I would seriously get the willies and try not to touch them. Maybe it's just a personal pet peeve but I don't find this attractive.

Those were cool in their day though. I had them, but went back to all natural because actually acrylic is very bad for your nails.

As for capacitive screens and nails, no go, you must use fingers. I really wish they could work around the glove thing though.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I've learned that tomorrow's announcement will include a Pre-announcement for the PreNC -a Pre with a built in NailClipper.

Prospective PreUsers are preconcerned about battery life.

I regret that I cannot reveal my source at this time.

Thanks.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Those were cool in their day though. I had them, but went back to all natural because actually acrylic is very bad for your nails.

As for capacitive screens and nails, no go, you must use fingers. I really wish they could work around the glove thing though.
    I dunno, maybe I'm the only one. I just never liked 'em. I guess fashion is very subjective like that though.

As far as gloves I know they make gloves with little buttons in the fingertips so you can still operate a capacitive touch screen while wearing gloves.
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    Hey, they can always use their knuckles
    Tom
    Pilot Prō --> M100 --> Trēō 600 --> Trēō 700p -- > Prē
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast