Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Cautionalry tale for soon-to-be-Pre-owners

Well in getting ready for the Pre, I figured I should get myself a Gmail account to see how it all works. I set it to transfer my current emails and contacts from Yahoo over to it and to "fetch" emails from my yahoo account. Not 100% sure what I did but the result is that on my Yahoo account all of the emails in my many folders were dumped back into my inbox not once but several times. And not in the order they were recieved the first time but in the order they were transferred over so the first several pages in my inbox were old archived ones from 2005! Also all new incomming emails were duplicated so they were showing up twice as well. The duplicate emails would then later show up on the Gmail account as well

I THINK part of the problem was that I set Gmail to send a copy of any emails recieved to the new gmail account to my old yahoo address. As a result every email that was transferred or fetched was then sent BACK to the yahoo account, and then, since they, at least sometimes, looked like new emails to Gmail, they were fetched again.

In all, although there were only a couple hundred emails in my inbox when I started the process, I wound up with over 8000 emails in my Yahoo inbox and 2000 in my Gmail inbox

I have since turned off the "send emails to other email account" and cleared out the 10000 emails and we will see if that solves the problem.

For new Gmail users then, I would advise NOT having the forwarding feature turned on at least until after you have transferred all of you existing mail and contacts, if you are going to do such a transfer.
    Thanks for the heads up! I've been debating doing this myself, and your tale convinces me to use Google for calendar, todos, and contacts, but keep Yahoo! for email. Don't even want to THINK about going through the same process.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Yeeesh, forwarding loops are a bad idea.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Just use IMAP and do it smartly.
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    Did the EXACT same thing. Aside from the looping, Im happy with the google services. Already made use of the calendar (shared with wife for family events) and the google docs module (again, sharing family budget, etc with wife).

Giving myself a month before terming my yahoo account altogether.
  6.    #6  
    Real problem is that the site does really explain how to do what you want to do or explain the options well. There are help pop-ups but they are to descrete to the specific item and dont really walk you through the big picture.

As for IMAP, thats fine if you have one of the IMAP clients supported by GMAIL, but if you are using Yahoo, thats no help
    Last edited by midmofan; 05/18/2009 at 10:34 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    Thanks for the heads up! I've been debating doing this myself, and your tale convinces me to use Google for calendar, todos, and contacts, but keep Yahoo! for email. Don't even want to THINK about going through the same process.
    Google is much better for mail than Yahoo. You just need to transition correctly (the OPs problems were user error and would have happened with any email provider). If you have a Yahoo Premium account, just use the email forwarding otherwise you will have to use the fetch option. Obviously you should not forward your Gmail back to any account that is forwarding to that Gmail account.
    I just told everyone I cared about that my new address was at gmail. Did that maybe 2 years ago and haven't looked back. Much better service IMO. The others are still playing catch-up.
    Def. much better. I never use my Yahoo account and I have 2 gmail accoutns.

Most of my friends have Gmail and I share calenders with my gf and my buddy to easily see what we are up to.

Gchat is also nice to use at work.

But damn, infinite loop to the max haha. Glad you got it worked out.
    Quote Originally Posted by neodorian View Post
    I just told everyone I cared about that my new address was at gmail. Did that maybe 2 years ago and haven't looked back. Much better service IMO. The others are still playing catch-up.
    Same here. Also, you'd be surprised at how many people tell me they don't like Gmail because it looks "too basic" (I guess the default theme has a lot of white) and hard to do certain things. But once I tell them about the different themes you can choose, they all start to like the service a little more & can "magically" find the features now.

A few of my friends now look back & tell me things like "Man, I can't believe I didn't give Gmail a better shot back then. It's awesome now"
    Follow Me On

haha one of my friends didn't like gmail cause it saved emails in conversations.

A month later she LOVED it.

Its just the whole issue with change really. Its a great service that did enough new things to convince people to use it rather than AOL/Yahoo/Hotmail etc.

While i don't know how what services have the most people, but def. my generation (i'm 25 now) seems to have taken a liking to Google services.
    Doesn't the fowarding work only for a certain period of time? As opposed to forwarding from your other service.
    Palm M100 => Treo 755P => Treo 800w => Treo 755p => Palm Pre => No more Palm/HP products
    I remember buying a gmail invite on ebay the day after the beta opened up. With a whole 1GB of storage, it was awesome. I forwarded a few of my important things on from hotmail and haven't looked back.
    Gmail is great. Can't wait for it to get out of Beta.
    Quote Originally Posted by sir_mycroft View Post
    Gmail is great. Can't wait for it to get out of Beta.
    I don't think there will ever be a "final release" of gmail.

They are constantly adding and tweeking gmail without like updating release or something like that.

Def. check out Google Labs for fantastic gmail add-ons.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by nojok3 View Post
    Doesn't the fowarding work only for a certain period of time? As opposed to forwarding from your other service.

There are two options: There is fowarding that lasts only 30 days I think; then there is "fetching." In both cases, don't do those and also have gmail forward to old email address.

The way the choices are descirbed, picking the forwarding option (from Gmail to my old Yahoo) seemed to make sense so that I would get emails sent to yahoo on my gmail account and emails sent to gmail on my yahoo account. There was no warning that doing that in combo with transfer and fetching would result in the multiple posts.

I can see how it happend now, but its something that Gmail should be able to detect and prevent and, if not, have a nice big warning when you click on the options.
    Global Posts
    637 Global Posts
    How do I get contacts and calendar from my palm Treo 755P or Outlook 2000 into Googlel? I already use a gmail email account.
    Export your calenders from Outlook and you should be able to upload them into google

And Google has a calender sync tool that works with outlook if i'm not mistaken.
    OK, so if I end up deciding to move my bazillion folders worth of Yahoo email over to gmail, can I do it without causing duplicates and other problems? Not sure I found that answer in this thread...or I just may not have understood.
    Google calendar question. I recently added the google sync tool to copy my outlook (EAS) calendar to my google calendar. I use EAS most of the time (even for personal things so it's all in one place).

I like having a copy of it on google so I can share it with other people (knowing best times to call etc.). When I get the Pre will everything on it be duplicated, or should I just not use google calendar on the phone and use EAS and when it syncs have it sync with google for other people.

Thanks!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast