Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hey all,

I know we're all eagerly awaiting the pre...

Notifications! and un/lock screen!

Another question arose.... On my lovely blackberry curve, I bought an app called BBalerts. It customizes the LED to blink a customizable color for each individual 'alert' received. When I get a new sms/mms thats unread, it blinks blue repeatedly until checked. Email - green, so on and so forth.

I know when you miss a email or sms, you get that sweet dashboard view of the missed call that I'm really lookin forward to, but what if its unchecked after backlight goes off....?

Does that lovely gesture area glow with those gorgeous white lights, almost like a heartbeat for missed alerts, or not. Does the pre have an led somewhere other than down by the silver button? I know this might not have been discussed, or maybe it has... Thoughts. What would you guys want?

I would atleast love an option to enable such a feature.

Secondly would be a un/lock screen. For me personally, it doesn't have to be like the iphone that slides to unlock, or the sweet G1 customizable unlock screen... but I would love to lock the screen once the backlight goes out.

Again thats my personal opinion, but again, all my touchscreens ive had haven't been the capacitive ones, so I was always constantly pocketdialing since there was no lock.

any input would be great. What would you guys like in these departments?

also, I guess since the os is mostly opensource, apps will come... I'd love to see either a 3rd party app or stock features!?

Thanks again for listening guys,
    Scizzy
    wow big post there! i dont know about the led, i dont think anyone does. that app sounds very cool and it would be nice if someone would create it. i also know there is a screen lock im just not certain how it works.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by snowboard1219 View Post
    wow big post there! i dont know about the led, i dont think anyone does. that app sounds very cool and it would be nice if someone would create it. i also know there is a screen lock im just not certain how it works.
    One can only hope, any body else got something to add...
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    There is a screen unlock (keeps key presses from turning on), followed by a user selectable pass code screen (optional). You can choose either a four digit numeric or an actual pass code using QWERTY for more security.

As for the LED, I have NO idea. But I do love my colored LED's on my Blackberry!!
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
    The LED does not do anything right now other than notify when a gesture is made. I am optimistic that someone will be able to hack it and allow some programing
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    If you watch the unboxing you can see an orange flash that seems to come from the Pre. It's bright as hell though so maybe it's just one of those orange camera flashes from somebody taking pics?
    I am pretty sure it was confirmed that it was from a camera.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09

I hope that Pre uses the same screen saver than Treo Pro. If it does, the you don't need to use leds anymore.

The Treo Pro shows always the current time, loas calls, emails received and sms received (if any).
    I think I saw somewhere that it did display some things in standby but I am not 100% sure...

Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
    I hope that Pre uses the same screen saver than Treo Pro. If it does, the you don't need to use leds anymore.

The Treo Pro shows always the current time, loas calls, emails received and sms received (if any).
    Im assuming you would still need to turn the screen on. This defeats the purpose. If the screen is always on, it would burn through your battery very quick.

I am very suprised the Pre (and iPhone) have not copied the simple Led indicator from Blackberry.
    Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post

I agree!
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Im assuming you would still need to turn the screen on. This defeats the purpose. If the screen is always on, it would burn through your battery very quick.

I am very suprised the Pre (and iPhone) have not copied the simple Led indicator from Blackberry.
    It's not like that with the Pro. It's a blank screen with the time and icons appear on the blank screen as notification.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    It's not like that with the Pro. It's a blank screen with the time and icons appear on the blank screen as notification.
    Then the screen still has to be lit up
    Last edited by mobileman; 05/18/2009 at 08:46 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shredster00 View Post
    If you watch the unboxing you can see an orange flash that seems to come from the Pre. It's bright as hell though so maybe it's just one of those orange camera flashes from somebody taking pics?
    That's the focus assist lamp of the camera.
    Nope.
    "'Form follows function' — that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Not exactly. The screen is of, but showing notifications on a "monochrome" (like lcd watches) mode.

Very little (almost none) battery drain.
    Thanks for the picture. That is actually not a bad solution.

Considering all the things we've heard on battery life this either isn't a factor or its not a feature.
    Palm M100 => Treo 755P => Treo 800w => Treo 755p => Palm Pre => No more Palm/HP products
    Quote Originally Posted by snowboard1219 View Post
    It's been confirmed via Twitter (Asked a few guys to check for me at the latest showcase) that there will be no notification lights. Just dashboard lights. And that possibly, a 3rd part app could enable this, or a simple OTA Software update will enable this as well.
    Thanks for the picture. That is actually not a bad solution.
    not a bad solution? It's really better than leds on a vast majority of cases. It shows different notification icons (and the number of them) for each type. SMS, email, calls, battery...

OK, on darkness it isn't at all usable, but for the rest is much better than a led blinking.

I think it's a great not marketed feature.

Apple would name it "innovation".
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast