Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    What would be really cool would be to have an LED-backlit display, where you could SELECTIVELY light certain parts of it. That way you could have a notification area that lit up by itself, and not the whole screen.

I could imagine the notifcation bar just fading in and out every 20 seconds or so.

Then again, I don't think this screen is LED-backlit, but I'm just saying that would be an awesome idea.
    Or...i can just press a button....

haha.
    Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
    not a bad solution? It's really better than leds on a vast majority of cases. It shows different notification icons (and the number of them) for each type. SMS, email, calls, battery...

OK, on darkness it isn't at all usable, but for the rest is much better than a led blinking.

I think it's a great not marketed feature.

Apple would name it "innovation".

Ok, I guess you wanted a different level of excitement from me. How bout this.......its freakin awesome!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway, I still like LED light better. I can have my blackberry, charging on the other side of the room, and I can still tell when I have a new message, text, IM just by seeing the flashing light. With the treo, I still need to look at the screen.
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Ok, I guess you wanted a different level of excitement from me. How bout this.......its freakin awesome!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway, I still like LED light better. I can have my blackberry, charging on the other side of the room, and I can still tell when I have a new message, text, IM just by seeing the flashing light. With the treo, I still need to look at the screen.
    Exactly, the LED is superior in a number of situations. Why not have both?
    I agree, LED is nice. I do wish it had it....but if the SDK has access to the light than an app for it doesn't seem too unreasonable.

I do kinda wish apps that don't need to be seen to work can just sit open without a card being open.
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DougB541 View Post
    I agree, LED is nice. I do wish it had it....but if the SDK has access to the light than an app for it doesn't seem too unreasonable.

I do kinda wish apps that don't need to be seen to work can just sit open without a card being open.
    It is possible..... O'Reilly's webOS book.
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    They can...they run in card mode, cardless mode or a combination!

You can make a weather app that has a full card so you can see all the days, then you can also have a cardless portion when you cancel out of the full app that runs in the notification area which gives you weather updates. I'm not sure how you get rid of the cardless apps when you're done with them, they're must be a "task manager" application somewhere we haven't seen yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by akula34 View Post
    It is possible..... O'Reilly's webOS book.
    Quote Originally Posted by jayzun View Post
    They can...they run in card mode, cardless mode or a combination!

You can make a weather app that has a full card so you can see all the days, then you can also have a cardless portion when you cancel out of the full app that runs in the notification area which gives you weather updates. I'm not sure how you get rid of the cardless apps when you're done with them, they're must be a "task manager" application somewhere we haven't seen yet.
    Thanks guys!
    They're called headless apps
    Palm webOS Book from O'Reilly Media (Page 5) - Palm Developer Network
    If it is a headless application, then a card is not required and instead the application can utilize just a dashboard and communicate to the user through notifications. Headless applications typically include a simple card based preferences scene to initiate the application and configure its settings. Note that headless applications require at least one visible stage at all times (either a card, dashboard or alert) to not be shut down.
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post

I agree, I can see that light from far away. It would be sweet if the center ball on the Pre would glow every couple of seconds.
    I have a BB8330. When I place it in standby(to save battery(not totally off)), I still get notifications of e-mail and sms(different sounds) and if a phone call come in, the screen lights up, calling # displayed and pic of person is displayed, i.e. my son Steven. I hope the Pre will have a way to go into standy to save battery and not allow "pocket dialing".
    Anyone have knowledge of this type of setup or just need to wait until we get our Pre's?

Thanks,
    george
    Quote Originally Posted by georges326 View Post
    I have a BB8330. When I place it in standby(to save battery(not totally off)), I still get notifications of e-mail and sms(different sounds) and if a phone call come in, the screen lights up, calling # displayed and pic of person is displayed, i.e. my son Steven. I hope the Pre will have a way to go into standy to save battery and not allow "pocket dialing".
    Anyone have knowledge of this type of setup or just need to wait until we get our Pre's?

Thanks,
    george
    I think you won't have a problem because when the screen dims down and then turns off, it puts the Pre into standby mode automatically.

When you want to wake it up, you either touch the center button or the power button on the top right and then it requires you to swipe-up in order to gain access to anything else.

Also keep in mind that the screen only works with your finger and nothing in your pocket will unlock it if any of the buttons are pressed.

EDIT: You can see it here in action...
    Last edited by Krod301; 05/18/2009 at 04:50 PM.
    Thanks Krod301. I appreciate the good info
    Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
    not a bad solution? It's really better than leds on a vast majority of cases. It shows different notification icons (and the number of them) for each type. SMS, email, calls, battery...

OK, on darkness it isn't at all usable, but for the rest is much better than a led blinking.

I think it's a great not marketed feature.

Apple would name it "innovation".
    Sony Ericsson had this on all their phones and you would just press + or - on the side and it would light up the screen. It showed time and sms + voicemail icons.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    When I had my 700P I used the LED (through chattermail) to blink when new e-mail came in. It really helped like the OP posted, being able to just glance at your phone and know immediately if you have new mail.

I lost this feature when I got moved to a Centro by Sprint when my 700p broke. It would be nice to have this feature back again using the white light in the gesture area.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12