Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124260342750528573.html

"Wal-Mart executives said their stores will soon carry Palm Inc.'s Pre smart phone, a highly anticipated gadget, contrary to bloggers who claimed it would be a Best Buy retail exclusive."

hmmm....
    Last edited by prefab; 05/17/2009 at 09:39 PM. Reason: link
  2. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    cool
    we need walmart to fill the gap left by circuit city's bankruptcy.
    Global Posts
    437 Global Posts
    For us non-subscribers can you post the story.
    Quote Originally Posted by ray1b View Post
    For us non-subscribers can you post the story.
    i second that
    Wal-Mart Steps Up Its Game in Electro... - Google News

Click the first link, it should get you in. Thank you, Google.
    "'Form follows function' — that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    Sorry 'bout that. Reuters reports same information...

Wal-Mart targets electronics customers: report | U.S. | Reuters
    This is great that Walmart is sinking some real money into revamping their electronics department, not only with having the Pre, but also other "higher-end" items for "lower prices". We shall see by the end of the week how it all turns out.

P.S. Now if they could only train their employees to learn where to find products in the store.
    Great find!
    Why is this "great" news? I'm not sure what the big deal is, really.
    "Never regret yesterday. Life is in you today, and you make your tomorrow." —L. Ron Hubbard
    Quote Originally Posted by ImmaSlave4U View Post
    Why is this "great" news? I'm not sure what the big deal is, really.
    100 million people, as in a third of America, visit US Wal-Mart stores every week.
    "'Form follows function' — that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    Walmart is the biggest retailer in the world. About 150 million people visit a Walmart every week and the company has sales around $100 billion every quarter.
    Oh, I'm from L.A., where the entire city only has one Wal-Mart, and I've actually never been to a Wal-Mart store before. I guess I still don't see what the big deal is, except for the fact it may help sell more Palm Pre phones.
    "Never regret yesterday. Life is in you today, and you make your tomorrow." —L. Ron Hubbard
    Quote Originally Posted by ImmaSlave4U View Post
    Oh, I'm from L.A., where the entire city only has one Wal-Mart, and I've actually never been to a Wal-Mart store before. I guess I still don't see what the big deal is, except for the fact it may help sell more Palm Pre phones.
    That's the big deal. Generally, things that are in Wal-Mart tend to sell more than if they weren't. And since Palm and Sprint want to get the Pre into as many hands as possible, Wal-Mart's a good place for them to go.
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Well... this goes with the NASCAR marketing...
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Not to forget that Wally World also sells the iPHone....

Man, I sure hope this wasn't a leak of the great announcement we are waiting for from WSJ on May 19th! That would be a downer if all we got is news we already know!
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Kessler View Post
    That's the big deal. Generally, things that are in Wal-Mart tend to sell more than if they weren't. And since Palm and Sprint want to get the Pre into as many hands as possible, Wal-Mart's a good place for them to go.
    That works for palm only if walmart does not play their normal game and require palm sell them the phone and only make pennies on each one...

I love walmart, but sometimes it is NOT always the best option for a company trying to make sells... selling many items for nothing can be a lot worse than selling less for a higher profit.

Of course, this could be great for palm... especially if they can work out a good price per item and include palm accessories as well. Walmart is open 24/7 in many areas of the country.

Hopefully palm's management will make the right decision...
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    i read the journal eveyday ... skipped rght over this article. I was fustrated there were no advertisments w/ the pre :-)
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Even if Palm doesn't make a lot of money off Walmart, it still helps.

More phones sold equals more phone in peoples hands.
    More phones in peoples hands means more demand for software and accessories
    More demand for software and accessories leads to incentive to create them
    More software and accessories means more appeal to get the phone in your hand
    More appeal equals more phones in people hands
    Repeat

Even if they don't make a lot of money selling it at walmart, if that increases sales by even 10% that'll be a good addition for palm in getting the WebOS and Pre solidified into the smartphone market.
    For WalMart in the United States: 4,227 total units

* Wal-Mart discount stores (914)
    * Supercenters (2,576)
    * Sam's Clubs (594)
    * Neighborhood Markets (143)

If each store gets 50 Pre's that 211,350 phones, which is a pretty big outlay of cash. Maybe that's why the Pre hasn't been released earlier.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

Ok... i dint read the complete article I just have a few things to throw out.... So wal-mart will probably get the second batch of Pres... judging from the walmarts in my area, it may have to be a special setup I know Sprint had a kiosk in wal-mart back in the day, they don't sell Sprint phones.... matter of fact every wal-mart in this area has a Sprint store within a half mile radius
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast