Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 39 of 39
  1. #21  
    Wal Mart sells the iPhone for about the same price. Wal Mart won't be able to charge much less than Sprint or Best Buy.
  2. #22  
    Like 199.97 as opposed to 199.99?
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

    It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

    Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
  3. #23  
    Naw...you'll see them hanging next to the Bubble gum and Snickers Bars at the check out line.
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    1. Each Wal Mart isn't going to sell 50 phones.
    2. Palm has already done the no margin thing with the Centros. Sold lots of units. Made no money.
    Each walmart will probably sell multiple times more than each sprint store so I don't understand the 50? do you think sprint stores will sell so few?

    Palm made huge money on the cetro due to units sold and economies of scale. You are confusing subsidy price of carriers vs price to carriers.

    Smartphones generally start generating net profit after one year.

    Palm needs to create a huge user base for the OS
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    1. Each Wal Mart isn't going to sell 50 phones.
    2. Palm has already done the no margin thing with the Centros. Sold lots of units. Made no money.
    Think that's too high? What would you say? 25?
    Last edited by palandri; 05/18/2009 at 09:32 AM.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

  6. #26  
    good . get them in walmart. Isn't the iphone there??? Sell as many pres as posible. Use wallmart, k-mart, target, etc. I hope palm seels millions, makes lots of money and the pre becomes the 'it' phone. All of this will help use pre fans = Giving Palm the finances for a second phones. lots of upgrades, and other stuff. What it wwon;t change = we're all still gonna have a kicken' phone.
    da Gimp

    Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by B-model View Post
    good . get them in walmart. Isn't the iphone there??? Sell as many pres as posible. Use wallmart, k-mart, target, etc. I hope palm seels millions, makes lots of money and the pre becomes the 'it' phone. All of this will help use pre fans = Giving Palm the finances for a second phones. lots of upgrades, and other stuff. What it wwon;t change = we're all still gonna have a kicken' phone.
    +1
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

  8. #28  
    The more phones sold = more developer interest =

    Also after the Centro was sold, it was pretty much done generating revenue for Palm. After a pre is sold, they'll get revenue from selling apps and maybe even get a cut of Mp3 sales from Amazon. Plus there's touchstone sales (although I speculate a lot of that goes to licensing).
  9. #29  
    This has to prove that the price will be $200 after rebates.
    I can't see Wal-Mart selling a phone that's in the $250-300 range.
  10. KJ78's Avatar
    Posts
    838 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    #30  
    yes, its all about getting a lot of Pre's out in people's hands to build a user base that will make it worthwhile to develop applications for WebOs. Without that, it won't matter how good the actual device is.
  11. #31  
    Wal-Mart's plans to upgrade their electronics store was reported on my local (Wash, DC) TV news this morning, which isn't surprising. But they actually mentioned that Pre on the news report, which did surprise me. I think Palm and Sprint are doing a good job slowing raising awareness of the Pre in the mainstream media, which is something they've never really done well, if at all.

    As for why Wal-Mart is important, my take is that anything that is likely to increase sales of the device will lead to more application support, which in turn will help improve sales.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by haydur View Post
    Walmart is the biggest retailer in the world. About 150 million people visit a Walmart every week and the company has sales around $100 billion every quarter.
    They control the prices that they get from their suppliers to determine their pricing, always wanting to sell something for the lowest price. The only company that has stood up to them is Apple with their iPods and iPhones. I wonder what kind of a deal Palm is getting with them? Also the story says eventually they'll be selling them eventually. That could be in 6 months.

    Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)



    "When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
  13. #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by ivhs72 View Post
    They control the prices that they get from their suppliers to determine their pricing, always wanting to sell something for the lowest price. The only company that has stood up to them is Apple with their iPods and iPhones. I wonder what kind of a deal Palm is getting with them? Also the story says eventually they'll be selling them eventually. That could be in 6 months.

    Palm's not making any deal with them - Sprint is.
    "'Form follows function' — that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
  14. #34  
    My stock in Palm is quite happy at this news today (up $.53 currently)!

    It's a smart business move and helps to ensure there's plenty of units out to help the app community thrive.
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by ivhs72 View Post
    They control the prices that they get from their suppliers to determine their pricing, always wanting to sell something for the lowest price. The only company that has stood up to them is Apple with their iPods and iPhones. I wonder what kind of a deal Palm is getting with them? Also the story says eventually they'll be selling them eventually. That could be in 6 months.

    Sprint will be the one getting squeezed here, not Palm.
  16. #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by bryanharig View Post
    Sprint will be the one getting squeezed here, not Palm.
    I think the prospect of gaining new customers at $69.99/mo minimum plans outweighs any loss or break-even they would make on the device. The device is merely a MacGuffin, so to speak.
  17. #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Kessler View Post
    Palm's not making any deal with them - Sprint is.
    I see your point, I should included Sprint in that as well. After all it was Apple that dictated how AT&T sold the iPhones (I couldn't leave the store till I had mine activated). Palm could be dictating how Sprint is to market the Pre. But the price Sprint is charging has to be tied into the price that they are paying for the phone from Palm - unless Palm is giving away the phones to Sprint for free.

    Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)



    "When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
  18. #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by ivhs72 View Post
    I see your point, I should included Sprint in that as well. After all it was Apple that dictated how AT&T sold the iPhones (I couldn't leave the store till I had mine activated). Palm could be dictating how Sprint is to market the Pre. But the price Sprint is charging has to be tied into the price that they are paying for the phone from Palm - unless Palm is giving away the phones to Sprint for free.

    Apple was in a much better position than Palm when negotiating for the network - they had that whole Mac/iPod/iTunes thing going and swimming pools filled with gold coins. Palm's financial swimming pools have been empty for some time, and Sprint said "We can help you fill those!" I can see Sprint making some demands of Palm, but Sprint also really wants this phone, so Palm has probably made some counter demands from Sprint.
    "'Form follows function' — that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
  19. The Duck's Avatar
    Posts
    96 Posts
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    #39  
    The lack of customer service could be a problem at Wal-Mart. Possible high returns could cost Palm dearly. Wal-Mart customers might need a more hands on approach(no pun intended) with a phone like the Pre. But the high visibility with the high traffic is very important for sales.So it could be a damn if you do, damn if you don't thing.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions