1.    #1  
    Check out the second image from an Intel presentation on its upcoming Medfield processor:

Intel Investor Presentation Highlights Smartphone Push. | UMPCPortal - The Mobile Internet and Computing Reference Site

If I'm not mistaken, that's a Pre up there in the "Mainstream Smartphone" category. So it's either a slight by Intel ("Mainstream" vs. "High-End"), or a testament to the Pre's low power usage.

Yes, it IS a slow Sunday afternoon.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Well, if the phone did have an Atom or Core processor it would be a LOT faster but the battery life will be 2 minutes.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    yeah i'd recognize that wallpaper anywhere. and it will be the first thing i change on my PRE............
    it being mainstream is good.
  5.    #5  
    Our Pre is high-end, kick ***, *****in', revolutionary, cool as hell, ultra-powerful, world class, industry leading, gnarly, EXcellent, rockin', Chuck Norris... anything but "mainstream."
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Well, they did say that the Pre was aimed at the "fat middle" of folks who want to integrate work and home, so that description my be accurate. "Mainstream" doesn't have to be a bad thing, and will likely increase sales, as we cell phone nerds are an exclusive lot.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    this is all NASCAR's fault.
    I don't think saying the Pre is mainstream is unwarrented, but calling it less high-end then the Storm is just stupid lol
    I think they're jealous because Palm didn't pick one of their processors.
    mainstream = consumer which is what both the iphone and Pre are considered. High end isn't the best choice of words but they meant enterprise level i'm thinking. It's not a big deal. Last i checked, i was a consumer so at least i'm buying something meant for me..lol
    mainstream = fat middle.

Doesn't matter whether a smartphone is high-end or mainstream, Intel processors will never be inside of them. Don't get me wrong, I've got a Core 2 Quad in my desktop, a Core 2 Duo in my tablet, a Pentium M in an older tablet, and an Atom in a netbook, but there will never be any need for x86 in a smartphone.

Sure, the Atom does a great job of lowering power for an x86 architecture, but the main reason that is a necessity is because 2/3 of the major computer operating systems now use x86 (Windows and OS X.. most Linux distributions use it too, but there are ARM ports as well.) For a PC or netbook this is almost a necessity (though some will argue WebOS or Android would work well on a netbook, I disagree entirely.) But on a smartphone, it's pointless. All of the smartphone manufacturers are using the ARM architecture for good reason- since there's no backwards compatibility with old applications or anything of that sort to worry about, they use what's most power efficient.

I mean, the Pre is already using a CPU which rivals the speed of the Atom... except the Cortex A8 uses about a tenth of the power. That's really just too big a gap for the Atom to catch up with... especially since the push is for more powerful version of it, not less.
    Last edited by jhoff80; 05/17/2009 at 08:49 PM.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by LightofHonor View Post
    ...calling it less high-end then the Storm is just stupid lol
    Pre-cisely!
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    mainstream = fat middle.

My eyes!!!!
    No for them it's "Mainstream == doesn't use our processor"
    per the slides, the mainstrweam phones have the higher volumes. Forgive me, but i want the Pre to sell like crazy. Then we will see a Pre 2, and possible Foleo w/ web os and lots of other stuff
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by B-model View Post
    per the slides, the mainstrweam phones have the higher volumes. Forgive me, but i want the Pre to sell like crazy. Then we will see a Pre 2, and possible Foleo w/ web os and lots of other stuff
    I hear you that one axis of the graph is volume. The other, however, is lower power consumption, and it looks to me like the implication is lower power overall. For example, higher-powered game players and such are on the left, while moving to right is a reduction in processing power required.

Note that I was really being mostly tongue-in-cheek in posting these slides. And if I were to really try to draw any serious inferences from them, it would be to say that Palm's should be commended for creating a device with such powerful capabilities and such lower power requirements (if it's true).
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by B-model View Post
    Then we will see a Pre 2,
    Wouldn't that be a Palm POST?