Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24
  1. SirBC's Avatar
    Posts
    54 Posts
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
       #1  
    My master plan was to ditch my iPhone the day the Pre was released. However, I dropped the darn thing this morning and my iPhone bit the dust. So what I'd like to do is to is get a cheap phone on Sprint to hold me over until the Pre is released.

    Can someone recommend a cheap phone that would allow me to easily upgrade to the Pre in (hopefully) < 1 month? Does it matter what plan I sign-up on now?

    Thanks,
    Dave
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by SirBC View Post
    My master plan was to ditch my iPhone the day the Pre was released. However, I dropped the darn thing this morning and my iPhone bit the dust. So what I'd like to do is to is get a cheap phone on Sprint to hold me over until the Pre is released.

    Can someone recommend a cheap phone that would allow me to easily upgrade to the Pre in (hopefully) < 1 month? Does it matter what plan I sign-up on now?

    Thanks,
    Dave
    i'd go into the Sprint store and talk to them and explain your situation. maybe they have a cheap refurb they can loan you or sell you. you are a new customer and in the catbird seat.
  3. haydur's Avatar
    Posts
    447 Posts
    Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    #3  
    If Sprint release the Pre more than 30 days from whenever it is that you signup with them, you won't be able to return the cheap one and get the Pre without paying the full retail price.

    That being said, you should get the Samsung Rant, it's a good messaging full-qwerty phone with GPS/Rev.A that Sprint is pushing for free right now.
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by haydur View Post
    If Sprint release the Pre more than 30 days from whenever it is that you signup with them, you won't be able to return the cheap one and get the Pre without paying the full retail price.

    That being said, you should get the Samsung Rant, it's a good messaging full-qwerty phone with GPS/Rev.A that Sprint is pushing for free right now.
    but then he'll blow his new contract Pre price.

    maybe try ebay for a cheap centro? i'd still talk to the retail people first for a cheap/free dumbphone temporary solution.
  5. #5  
    Samsung SPH M300 Sprint Nextel: items on eBay.com

    It is a good phone to use for a short time. I had to use one for 30 days when I got my Centro because Sprint refused to replace my 700p.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

    Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Eguy View Post
    Samsung SPH M300 Sprint Nextel: items on eBay.com

    It is a good phone to use for a short time. I had to use one for 30 days when I got my Centro because Sprint refused to replace my 700p.
    It has the bad ESN, can not activate with Sprint !!!
  7. #7  
    There are quite a few on there that don't have bad ESN's...
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

    Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
  8. haydur's Avatar
    Posts
    447 Posts
    Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    but then he'll blow his new contract Pre price.
    Not reading my posts I see... I said, he has to make sure he switches his phone from the Pre less than 30 days from the day he signs up with the Sprint.

    He had an iPhone, I'm assuming that means he's not currently a Sprint customer.
  9. #9  
    i read the "that being said" as an alternative "free" option.
  10. #10  
    get a cheap nokia bar phone and put ur sim in it.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Young HoV 718 View Post
    get a cheap nokia bar phone and put ur sim in it.
    That or just pick up a prepaid for the time being.
  12. #12  
    Get a cheap AT&T prepaid and use that until the pre comes out and then move your account.
  13. neilept's Avatar
    Posts
    216 Posts
    Global Posts
    381 Global Posts
    #13  
    I found this out the hard way, when you start a new line at Sprint, even with your own phone, they make you sign a 2 year contract. I added a line with a wireless card I bought off ebay, and was told by a letter "thanks for signing a 2 year agreement", even after I told the CSR the reason I bought it off of ebay, instead of getting it free from them.

    What I would do, assuming the Pre is coming out in 30 days, try a phone from Sprint, and then give it back / swap it with a Pre when it comes out, while you are still in the trial period.
  14. #14  
    Pick up a Treo 680 on ebay for cheap. Then sell it when you get the Pre. You'll be able to sell it for close to what you paid for it. You can check craigslist as well. Then you could even pick it up tomorrow and be good to go.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Eguy View Post
    Samsung SPH M300 Sprint Nextel: items on eBay.com

    It is a good phone to use for a short time. I had to use one for 30 days when I got my Centro because Sprint refused to replace my 700p.
    Umm.. there is a major caveat with this phone. If you do any significant texting, you will hate this phone. I've had it for the past two years and texting with it is a major hassle. Anytime you want to put a punctuation mark, it defaults to a 1 and then when you try to clear that 1, you clear the whole message.

    The only way around that is to put a space and then the punctuation (all this in t9, btw), and then cursor back, and the back button.

    And even doing this, you will still end up clearing entire messages accidentally.

    So, get another phone if you can.
  16. #16  
    get a att prepaid phone at walmart for 2 or 3 weeks, then get a pre
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by neile45 View Post
    What I would do, assuming the Pre is coming out in 30 days, try a phone from Sprint, and then give it back / swap it with a Pre when it comes out, while you are still in the trial period.
    I'd wait until a release date is announced before gambling my new user discount on it. I'd ebay something cheap for AT&T or go prepaid.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by dmglouis View Post
    Umm.. there is a major caveat with this phone. If you do any significant texting, you will hate this phone. I've had it for the past two years and texting with it is a major hassle. Anytime you want to put a punctuation mark, it defaults to a 1 and then when you try to clear that 1, you clear the whole message.

    The only way around that is to put a space and then the punctuation (all this in t9, btw), and then cursor back, and the back button.

    And even doing this, you will still end up clearing entire messages accidentally.

    So, get another phone if you can.
    I know the phone is not great but he only needs it until the Pre comes out .
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

    Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
  19. #19  
    I'd go prepaid. For the amount you'd spend on a phone + plan for what 3 weeks? There are plenty of cheap prepaid plans.
    Palm M100 => Treo 755P => Treo 800w => Treo 755p => Palm Pre => No more Palm/HP products
  20. #20  
    Instead of starting a new thread - figured id add onto this - not trying to hijack.....I'm w AT&T also and am very happy w/ their service. Anyone else have Sprint in CA - more specifically the central coast? I don't know ANYONE who has sprint here - i'm getting the Pre - but obviously want decent service....worst case ill buy the phone and try it for 30 days.....if the service sucks, i should be able to get the new phone bug outta my system in 30 days
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not" Thomas Jefferson
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions