Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    Here're somethings that I think will happen and reported here the day the Pre launches...

People will post pics of them waiting in line in forums like this and on Twitter. Engadet / Gizmodo will post those pictures in their own posts. Those posts will be updated with the first person to buy and exit at whatever store they were covering. Someone will buy the Pre just to smash and destroy it in front of the line. Others will sell their spot in the line, or at least unsuccessfully attempt to sell their space.

At the most popular Sprint stores (i.e. 5th Ave. NYC) the phone will be sold out within hours. In other places, at malls for example, they might have units available till closing. Some people will not get it because Sprint will say it doesn't work with their SERO. They will curse the Sprint guys or try and sweet talk the managers, to no avail of course. When the lucky ones pass by an AT&T kiosk, and the gawker pushes the iPhone, they will reply, "no thanks, I have a Pre."

There will be a thread here called something like "post a picture of your pre". Another thread will be just about how cool the touchstone charger is, and those who bought it will mock those who didn't. Some people's phone feature will be useless for hours because their number porting is having issues. They will complain and create their own threads.

There will be a thread about how someone got a weird error on their pre. Other will complain of the same. Some people's Pre will have other weirder issues, they will return to the Sprint store to get another unit just to find that the same issue is in that unit as well. Finally, after three exchanges they will realize that the problem is with them, not the phone. Sprint will replace the Instinct billboard near Time Square with a Pre billboard.

There will be a thread about how this one person has concluded that the Pre is not for him; he's returning it. "Blasphemy!" will cry the PreCentral folks. What is wrong with it, they will ask... and they will have an answer and a solution of each and everyone of his issues. But no, he's still returning it. "This thing just gets too damn hot" one guy will complain.

Someone will sell their's on eBay for hundreds more than they paid. Others will buy it and be the first to activate one on Cricket. One hacker will be the first to "get root" on the device. Those screenshots will make it to Giz/Engadget. More and more hacks will come out within weeks. Tweaks and custom native apps will abound. Then one day, to Sprint's dismay, someone will post a tutorial on how to get free tethering. Someone will offer an iPhone theme.

The first person to break their screen will post a thread about it. eBay will be filled with accessories, shipping mostly from Hong Kong. "Will it blend" guys will destroy a perfect Pre.

--------------------------------

Add your own below...
    Well you ruined a lot of the fun. :/ But yeah, sounds right on.

Someone will buy the Pre just to smash and destroy it in front of the line
    lmfao
    Haha, to a fkin' T, my man!
    I wonder how much they'll go for on eBay the day they're released. If they can be sold for a significant profit I may try and pick up a few...that'd be a nice way to pay for the increase monthly charges.

I remember with things like the iPhone and PS3 if you were one of the first to list on eBay you could make several hundred (even over a thousand) in profit.
    you gonna have one person say the the phone is pure trash and be pissed off that they waited and suffered this long to be sooo disapointed.
    Wow. That's awesome.

I can't wait!
    "'Form follows function' — that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    i predict there will be a lot of weeping and gnashing of teeth.
    The world is going to explode.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    ^ I like the last part of your signature...
    Palm and Sprint will exhale....
    Remember, this is my opinion ! We all have a right to our own.....

Treo's 650-800..NOW,
    Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    There will be a lot of fanboys who will get converted.
    Quote Originally Posted by jewel View Post
    There will be a lot of fanboys who will get converted.
    Not enough I am afraid.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    The first 24 hours of people owning the Pre most won't be able to sleep.
    The Sun will Rise.
    The Sun will Sit.
    Quote Originally Posted by haydur View Post
    One hacker will be the first to "get root" on the device. Those screenshots will make it to Giz/Engadget. More and more hacks will come out within weeks. Tweaks and custom native apps will abound. Then one day, to Sprint's dismay, someone will post a tutorial on how to get free tethering.
    I used to doubt this because by having web-only software it's easy to keep everything tightly sandboxed. But if something like Classic can be sideloaded and doesn't have heavy encryption/code signing then it's a whole other story. Any native app could easily be loaded, Palm just wouldn't have a documented API. I imagine someone's going to have a lot of fun disassembling Classic to figure it out. Not my skill set though.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    What was the term?.... Nerdgasims. Tens of thousands of nerdgasims all going off simultaneously. I just hope I have the stamina to last that long.
    The fun will begin!!
    You forgot to mention the marked uptick in annoying thread wars where iPhone zealots and Pre devotees look at personal electronics the way other people look at politics and sports. Those with the most boring lives will take personal offense at the suggestion that the gadget they bought 6 months ago is no longer the hottest thing on the market.

6 months later something new is announced sparking the next round of nerd wars and the circle of life is complete.
    No fair, you peeked...
    I'd like to post a poll to see how many actually take their Pre to bed with them that first night. That is if they didn't get suckered into buying a touchstone in which case it will definitely be on their nightstand. Either way, I'm sure they'll be in bed playing with it. There'll be some game on there they won't be able to put down. They'll be streaming something soothing off of Pandora to lull themselves to sleep. Maybe they'll be running as many programs possible and following the battery meter to see how long it takes to run down. That'll hopefully mean they'll be getting to bed at sunrise.
    Quote Originally Posted by OneDeep View Post
    The first 24 hours of people owning the Pre most won't be able to sleep.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast