Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I know it's a stupid topic. But why the accent for the Pre. I took some french in high school, and from what i can recall, an "E" with an accent over it is gives the "A" sound (eg ecout"e" pronounced eh-coo-tay). Are we supposed to transfer sounds over and call it the Palm "Pray"?
    I know, dumb post.
    Because Palms praying that it will same them?
    You're thinking of .

There's also a , as well as an ē, which is what it is for the PrPrPr&#$275$;, $and$ $the$ $Tr$&#$275$;$o$.
    I think having the vowel mark is also part of some tradition Palm started with the Treo. The Treo also has the same mark on the E. I think its to help you pronoune the name right.
    Last edited by Soorma; 05/17/2009 at 01:44 PM. Reason: Incorrect Information
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    OK, let's review what we have learned so far in this thread:

1. Some people didn't learn sh*t in high school French.
    2. Some people actually know how to make funny vowel marking show up on web posts.
    3. Some people, unbelievably, are able to offend Canadians.

I'm so glad you broke it down. It all makes sense.
  6.    #6  

2. Some people actually know how to make funny vowel marking show up on web posts.
    No wonder I got a "C" for effing around and speaking English in class.
    Also, dumb post, cos it's obvious a long accent sign.

I'm a tard for starting this thread. That's what happens when boredom, inability to read the small pre sign on NASCAR and lack of a pre can do to my intellect haha
    Last edited by emusician; 05/17/2009 at 12:46 AM.

I googled this, in case anyone is wondering. The "ē" is an "e" with a macron over it, & it can be reproduced in HTML with "& # 275;" (remove spaces and quotes).
    "If you think a weakness can be turned into a strength, I hate to tell you this, but that's another weakness." - Jack Handey
    When Canadians talk, do the top half of their head really separate from the bottom like on South Park???

And yes, it's just a joke, so lighten up!!!
    MoBill - Use your Authorize.net account to bill your customers with your webOS device!!
    MoJack - Track your lost or stolen webOS device from anywhere!
    Time to get VIRAL
    Global Posts
    799 Global Posts
    So, how does one make those specific vowel markings??

(Love to learn)
    No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
    Quote Originally Posted by Laxidasical View Post
    When Canadians talk, do the top half of their head really separate from the bottom like on South Park???

And yes, it's just a joke, so lighten up!!!
    Follow Me On

Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    Peace...
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    You're thinking of .

There's also a , as well as an ē, which is what it is for the PrPrPr&#$275$;, $and$ $the$ $Tr$&#$275$;$o$.
    There is no accent over the e. To say that there's an accent means that the 'e' looks like or .

On the other hand, Palm uses a bar over the e, as in ē. The bar is NOT an accent. It's a long vowel mark. The long vowel mark indicates that the e is pronounced as a long e (like the two ee's in 'tree').

To verify Palm's usage of the long vowel mark just go to their web site.
    Quote Originally Posted by emusician View Post
    I know it's a stupid topic. But why the accent for the Pre. I took some french in high school, and from what i can recall, an "E" with an accent over it is gives the "A" sound (eg ecout"e" pronounced eh-coo-tay). Are we supposed to transfer sounds over and call it the Palm "Pray"?
    I know, dumb post.
    Sort of been beaten to death, but ironically, I found that in Palm trying to head off incorrect pronunciations of the Treo, they wound up confusing the issue. They were trying to make it obvious that it was pronounced Tree-o, but by sticking the long e bar over it, they wound up getting some to pronounce it Tray-o simply because there was a mark there.

That being said, the bar is not a French accent mark.

These are the real french accent marks.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    So let's break it down, I'm one of those french canadians

4 types of accent possible on a "e"
    = almost like the "ay" sound, ie. may
    = identical sound to "", pretty much like the way you say the "e" in "metric"
    = see above
    = not a special sound, it just tells you to pronounce the vowel independantly from the surroundings letters like "Nol", which is french for christmas, you pronounce it "No"-"el" separately!

So there is no such thing as an "e" with a horizontal bar on it, it just doesn't exist in french!

I'm actually wondering how people will advertise the name here in Quebec, the way to correctly pronounce "Pre" in french really doesn't sound right for a product name, I hope they will keep the english pronounciation, it's much much better!!
  15.    #15  
    So the mistake i made was a dumb one, but it still affects people's pronunciation. As Loginatnine stated, Pre in french is different.
    As saying "PREE" sounds better than "Pray" or "Pruh"
    In France they'll just call it the Prix.
    I know, dumb post.
    If you know it's a dumb post.. and a stupid topic, why did you bother creating it?
    So the mistake i made was a dumb one, but it still affects people's pronunciation. As Loginatnine stated, Pre in french is different.
    As saying "PREE" sounds better than "Pray" or "Pruh"
    Do any english ppl actually pronounce it "pray"?

@NM08SRT8
    What's with the flaming, we're discussing here, isn't what these forums are for?
    Quote Originally Posted by loginatnine View Post
    Do any english ppl actually pronounce it "pray"?

@NM08SRT8
    What's with the flaming, we're discussing here, isn't what these forums are for?
    Yeah, legitimate discussions. It's sad when even the OP knows his thread is stupid. lol.

It's not flaming bud, grow a backbone..
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    You're thinking of .

Thumbs up for finding those letters on the keyboard lol
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast