Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by NM08SRT8 View Post
    Yeah, legitimate discussions. It's sad when even the OP knows his thread is stupid. lol.

It's not flaming bud, grow a backbone..
    if you think it's that stupid, why bother reading it and taking time to post your useless comments?Seriously
    Quote Originally Posted by loginatnine View Post
    if you think it's that stupid, why bother reading it and taking time to post your useless comments?Seriously
    If he said it's stupid, why are you defending it? lol Your posts towards me are just as useless buddy. Nice Try
    If he said it's stupid, why are you defending it? lol Your posts towards me are just as useless buddy. Nice Try
    I'm not defending anything, I was just pointing out that your first and subsequent posts are irrelevant to the topic, this is supposed to be a friendly forum and while this topic may not be the most relevant to the pre, it's still a fun discussion on the pronunciation of the device!
    i think they should have used the Spanish Tilde. i always like that one in Spanish class.

PRPRPR&#$7868$;.

yeah - i like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    OK, let's review what we have learned so far in this thread:

1. Some people didn't learn sh*t in high school French.
    2. Some people actually know how to make funny vowel marking show up on web posts.
    3. Some people, unbelievably, are able to offend Canadians.
    Some people are stupid.
    "Pray" as in like above: Palm is Praying, and it's prey for the iPhone.

GOod one.
    Global Posts
    178 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by leadtrumpetdave View Post
    I googled this, in case anyone is wondering. The "ē" is an "e" with a macron over it, & it can be reproduced in HTML with "& # 275;" (remove spaces and quotes).
    Macron

Quote Originally Posted by davidtm View Post
    So, how does one make those specific vowel markings??

(Love to learn)
    Lower case e with a macron is unicode 0113. In MS Word, or any other MS office pgm, you'd type:

"Palm PrPrPr&$quot$; $then$ $press$ $NumLock$ ($Shift$ &$amp$; $NumLk$ $on$ $a$ $Laptop$), $then$ $the$ $four$ $digits$ $0113$ $on$ $the$ $num$-$locked$ $keys$, $then$ $Alt$-$X$. $The$ $0113$ $changes$ $to$ &#$275$;. $So$ $you$ $get$ &$quot$;$Palm$ $Pr$&#$275$;&$quot$;.

You're supposed to be able to use NumLk and hold down the Alt key and type the four digits 0275 (decimal equivalent of hex 0113) into any Windows 'document', buy I can't get that to work in this text input box in a FF browser. Explained in detail here and here.

Also, the Windows character map allows you to drag and drop these characters, Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Character Map. This does work in the FF text input box, see: Palm PrPrPr&#$275$;
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    Sort of been beaten to death, but ironically, I found that in Palm trying to head off incorrect pronunciations of the Treo, they wound up confusing the issue. They were trying to make it obvious that it was pronounced Tree-o, but by sticking the long e bar over it, they wound up getting some to pronounce it Tray-o simply because there was a mark there.
    Perhaps it may have confused the issue outside the US, but do you really think it did so among American English speakers? After all, kids are taught how to use dictionaries starting in elementary school, and the use of a horizontal overbar to indicate that a vowel is pronounced using its long form ("eeee" for e-bar) is a pretty common standard in English-language dictionaries in the US.
    So I ignored this thread for a bit, but found something I thought was interesting. If you look at the Pre phones made for the Nascar event, they have the Pre with BOTH an accent and the long vowel sign. This is different than all other forms I've seen on Palm or Sprint's website.

PreThinking - Your Source for all things Pre
    lol, I can tell you guys are really bored when you make a whole thread to discuss a symbol over a letter.
    Quote Originally Posted by pavvento View Post
    So I ignored this thread for a bit, but found something I thought was interesting. If you look at the Pre phones made for the Nascar event, they have the Pre with BOTH an accent and the long vowel sign. This is different than all other forms I've seen on Palm or Sprint's website.

PreThinking - Your Source for all things Pre
    Your right, wtf?
    Global Posts
    178 Global Posts
    lol, I can tell you guys are really bored when you make a whole thread to discuss a symbol over a letter.
    Agreed. But it is a special case symbol, and not too many techies know about it or even how to make it.

For that matter not many US techies even know how to make the usual international characters: , , , , , , ...
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilMonkey View Post
    Perhaps it may have confused the issue outside the US, but do you really think it did so among American English speakers?
    Anecdotally, I _know_ it did with the Treo. I know at least half a dozen people that I've corrected on the pronunciation.
    After all, kids are taught how to use dictionaries starting in elementary school, and the use of a horizontal overbar to indicate that a vowel is pronounced using its long form ("eeee" for e-bar) is a pretty common standard in English-language dictionaries in the US.
    Have you been in this country long? Do you realize the number of people that forget most of what they learned in school before they even graduate? Even worse is when you try to correct them on it, and then you're suddenly the insufferable know-it-all simply because you actually recall that sort of stuff.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    Anecdotally, I _know_ it did with the Treo. I know at least half a dozen people that I've corrected on the pronunciation.

Have you been in this country long? Do you realize the number of people that forget most of what they learned in school before they even graduate? Even worse is when you try to correct them on it, and then you're suddenly the insufferable know-it-all simply because you actually recall that sort of stuff.
    I just stopped correcting people for that very reason. They'd rather be idiots than be corrected, so I let them.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
  15.    #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by asforme View Post
    Your right, wtf?
    Wow, so i wasnt wrong. I thought i saw it, but assumed i was too drunk to be right when i posted it haha. I found myself to be an insufferable addict to pre, enough to watch nascar. Had to drink to get through it haha
    ^^ haha good one
    Have you been in this country long?
    All my life sonny (I can call you that because I'm older!)
    Since everyone is so impressed by the fact I knew how to do that, I guess I should give you a little-known secret:

Start> Programs> Accessories> System Tools> Character Map.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Since everyone is so impressed by the fact I knew how to do that, I guess I should give you a little-known secret:

Start> Programs> Accessories> System Tools> Character Map.
    lol, yet many people don't know about that..

See what happens when you know how to use Windows?

Knowledge = FTW!
    Do you realize the number of people that forget most of what they learned in school before they even graduate?
    Yes - they cut my lawn, deliver my newspaper, and bag my groceries.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast