Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I fell asleep watching that movie...several times....not one of Ferrels best movies for sure!
    Gizmodo - NASCAR Event The Latest Venue For Rampant Palm Pre Rumor And Speculation - Palm pre

However, during the race an official, possibly high on fumes, let slip that a Palm Pre release date would be known to the world in "a couple of days."
    I have to get that WSJ haha.

(Also found here: http://www.engadget.com/2009/05/17/p...ering-of-cool/)
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmPreee View Post
    Here's them setting up the two huge Pre's.
    So, what's with all the folks worried about the size of the Pre? Those look like they'd be big enough...
    Quote Originally Posted by neile45 View Post
    The head of our IT dept goes to at least 2 races a year. I have a couple of friends that love Nascar, and I believe they will be looking at this phone also. Everyone thinks Nascar is a bunch of rednecks, but it's not.
    The IT consulting company I used to work for has a suite at Texas Motor Speedway. The poster that is making the stereotype about the audience attending NASCAR events is making assumptions based on ignorance. The rest of his/her "this is how it should be done" should be judged accordingly.
    Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    I agree with Gekko. Yes, there are educated people with a lot of disposable income who happen to be Nascar fans, the primary audience of this sport are none-young southern/mid-western who are really the worst hit demographic right now. Sprint's been at Nascar for a long time, and they just used their presence to promote the Pre a little.

Here's some demographic info for ya' to back my "stereotyping" (i.e. more than 50% of the Nascar's avid fans have household income's below $50K):
    Scarborough Research Examines NASCAR Fan Demographics
    Google Answers: What are the demographic for Nascar Fans?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    Go Ricky Bobby!!!
    Ricky Bobby for Big Red: If you don't chew Big Red then **** you! haha I love that movie.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Quote Originally Posted by haydur View Post
    I agree with Gekko. Yes, there are educated people with a lot of disposable income who happen to be Nascar fans, the primary audience of this sport are none-young southern/mid-western who are really the worst hit demographic right now. Sprint's been at Nascar for a long time, and they just used their presence to promote the Pre a little.

Here's some demographic info for ya' to back my "stereotyping" (i.e. more than 50% of the Nascar's avid fans have household income's below $50K):
    Just for a little fairness in reporting, take a look at this:

Scarborough Research Data On NFL Fan Demographics

According to the linked information, 51% of the fan base makes less than $50K. Some other interesting tidbits; 83% are white, and 51% are HS graduates or less, with no college.

Did'ja see that block bubba?
    Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Just for a little fairness in reporting, take a look at this:

Scarborough Research Data On NFL Fan Demographics

According to the linked information, 51% of the fan base makes less than $50K. Some other interesting tidbits; 83% are white, and 51% are HS graduates or less, with no college.

Did'ja see that block bubba?
    OK, then I guess with agree that half the people who watch major sports are probably not going to buy the Pre... or they will buy it but Sprint's going to have to send the collection agency after them after 6 months or so...
    I'm a marketing major and we did a case study on Nascar. Nascar enthusiasts are extremely loyal to Nascar brands, it's very odd. Just because they didn't all graduate college or make less than 50K doesn't mean they don't like/can't afford cool things. None of these stats can be the determinant for if they'll buy a Pre.
    Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jonathan likes the pre View Post
    I'm a marketing major and we did a case study on Nascar. Nascar enthusiasts are extremely loyal to Nascar brands, it's very odd. Just because they didn't all graduate college or make less than 50K doesn't mean they don't like/can't afford cool things. None of these stats can be the determinant for if they'll buy a Pre.
    I guess it's good for Sprint/Palm if these people buy Pre's... but that's really what has lead us to where we are today: people not trying to live within their means.
    gas up the truck, Jed! i gotta get into town and get me one of them new doggone Preees!!! hooooooooooooo doggie!!!!!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by jonathan likes the pre View Post
    cognitive bias.
    The question probably isn't about the suitability of advertising at a NASCAR event, but what is the cost of the lost opportunity by doing so.

We are all so concerned about our beloved palm, that we think any advertising is good.

My question, (and I don't live in the USA) is there an alternative marketing space that is more targeted?

Not to say that NASCAR is not, for instance the guys who work on modern race car engines would have to be VERY tech savvy, and to a certain extent so do the drivers, so maybe they will end up using the Pre. Then there is a strong chance that the fans (whatever the demographic) might buy a Pre just to emulate their chosen driver. (looking at the demographic, this would be kinda like a fugly girl with Jennifer Annistons haircut though)
    Additionally maybe its the only large event with a nationwide television audience during the release period.
    Or most likely someone senior in Palm is a fan...
    HP200LX->Treo270->Treo600->Treo650->Treo680->Centro->iPhone3G->
    Treo680->TreoPro->iPhone3GS->PalmPre->HPPre2->HPVeer 2.2.3->HPPre3

as i stated earlier, since Sprint already has a big primary sponsor contract with NASCAR, i doubt it was that more incrementally costly for them to do what they did last night. they are already the major sponsor, so Sprint was going to be there and be there big regardless. that was Sprint's marketing dollars you saw last night, not Palm's. if you noticed, you didn't see any big Palm logos on those big Pres. it was all the big Sprint logo. last night was one big Sprint ad - and Sprint used the Palm Pre to showcase the Sprint brand. and those hillbillies ate it up.
    Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    ^^ As stated before, Sprint will "officially" start a Pre campaign when they announce date and price (probably this Tuesday) and that campaign will be national and cross-medium. The Nascar thing was done because sprint is already an official Nascar sponsor (multi-year contract) and probably didn't have to pay a lot to put Pre in the middle of the race track.

Edit: Gekko beat me to it! Damn you Gekko, I already insure with you!
    ^^ As stated before, Sprint will "officially" start a Pre campaign when they announce date and price (probably this Tuesday) and that campaign will be national and cross-medium. The Nascar thing was done because sprint is already an official Nascar sponsor (multi-year contract) and probably didn't have to pay a lot to put Pre in the middle of the race track.

Edit: Gekko beat me to it! Damn you Gekko, I already insure with you!
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.

The data show that NASCAR income distribution is higher than the US population. 42% of NASCAR fans make $50K+, compared to 39% of the general public.

And at 88%, the NASCAR population's HS graduation rate is higher than the general public's as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by samkim View Post
    The data show that NASCAR income distribution is higher than the US population. 42% of NASCAR fans make $50K+, compared to 39% of the general public.

And at 88%, the NASCAR population's HS graduation rate is higher than the general public's as well.
    Please stop. They are trying to make themselves feel better by denigrating others and you are ruining it.
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
    Please...

Let's refrain from insulting remarks.

Some of you already saw Dieter's earlier post.

Quote Originally Posted by Dieter Bohn View Post
    Guys - the stereotyping of Nascar fans in this thread is unacceptable -- flinging insults at an entire group is not cool.
    I would guess Dieter will be especially disappointed in those that ignored his earlier request.

It might be good to go back and edit your posts.

Thanks,
    Berd
    Just call me Berd.
    Picture of the Day: Palm Pre Advert on an IndyCar. Look below the McAfee ad.
    Image:

Apologies if this was posted already.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast