Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Yes, you’ve read it right. And not only Android. OpenMoko is being ported too.
    Jailbreak Palm Pre and run Android as alternative? | Palm webOS Blog

So, this is the first I have heard of android on the pre. its funny because this is an official palm post from January. Anyone know anything more about this? will it be available on launch?
    You can do all kinds of odd things we these phones. They are after all just little computers. The issue is making everything work correctly with the new OS unless it is emulated within the original palm software.

XDA developers do some cool things with Windows Mobile and they have a variety of builds of different variations you can load on the phones. Including pre-release version of the newer windows mobile. I haven't messed with a WM device for a year or so, I'm out of that loop now but they have done some pretty neat things over there.

Things like the screen, touch, speaker are all fairly easy to get working. Things like the radio stacks are not.

Just like loading a Mac with an unsupported video card, the drivers have to be there to get the device working. Some things like taking a MMS program from a European provider and porting it to a US WM phone is easier than say making android work when the company that makes the phone you are taking the software from doesn't use the same components.
    Quote Originally Posted by supervillain View Post
    Jailbreak Palm Pre and run Android as alternative? | Palm webOS Blog

its funny because this is an official palm post from January

What makes you think that site/ post is official, because as far as I know it isn't.
  4.    #4  
    oh my bad, i thought that was an official pal site.

still, there are a few resources linked from there that provide evidence that android has been ported to pre.
    This is a very old article. It might be possible but probably hasn't been tested.
    I don't see the point

If i buy a pre, it's for the software, not hardware

I don't see what's so special about android.
    Quote Originally Posted by despo88 View Post
    I don't see the point

If i buy a pre, it's for the software, not hardware

I don't see what's so special about android.

It is just nice not be be locked into one slandered, like tri booting, linux, windows and mac. Each has its pro's and con's and its nice not to be stuck with just 1 system.
  8.    #8  
    ^ +1

also, i think android has some great potential and i would like to be a part of that to some degree.
    Android is a work in progress.

I think they can easily become more usable with updates.
    lol thats just stupid ill stick with webos, maybe as a emulator like old palm os.. that would be nice or maybe even windows xp
    Android is cool, the problem so far is that the hardware sucks. I would seriously consider an Android phone were it not for T-Mobile. Android WILL be the future - and hopefully WebOS as well.
    Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DougB541 View Post
    Android is a work in progress.
    Yes, Android is a "work in progress" being out in the market for 8 months and already have an active development community, whereas WebOS, which no one outside of Palm/Sprint has (regularly) used yet already mature and better...
    If you don't want it, don't use it. I think this is great news because it simply means the phone is open and hackable. I want to fiddle with it, hack it and make it mine.
    Quote Originally Posted by haydur View Post
    Yes, Android is a "work in progress" being out in the market for 8 months and already have an active development community, whereas WebOS, which no one outside of Palm/Sprint has (regularly) used yet already mature and better...
    Are you a bit defensive?

I didn't mention WebOS ONCE in my post? Why do you assume how I feel about the Palm Pre?

Seriously, use Andriod, its lacking some serious features.

I won't comment on the Pre until I actually use it, but I'm telling you what I know.

Relax.
    Truly, an unfortunate development. Android has its roots firmly in the past.
    It's odd to me that a lot of people think Android sucks (comments on Engadget, Gizmodo, by Facebook execs or so the story goes, etc). I think it's pretty cool and if the Pre didn't exist I'd certainly be sporting an HTC Magic or that Samsung i7500.

However, webOS looks to be a lot more intuitive and attractive than Android. I would not load Android onto my Pre.
    You see that because Android has pretty much not met expectations. You have an open platform that anyone can pretty much do anything with yet we haven't see the software or hardware parts of android phones do a single thing better than what other phones can already do.

Perhaps that will change as more handsets come out with better form factors and on better networks than Tmobile. They are on the red headed step child 3g frequency after all. It just hasn't and in my opinion after 8 months I would have thought that more improvements would be forth coming. Cupcake is good but certainly is only a half step in the right direction.
    I don't think ANdroid sucks...but there is PLENTY room for improvement...much like the iPhone and their firmware version 3.0 coming out.

It catches up to some basic functions it should of had. Once again, I really do believe Andriod will be a major player in the market, but as of right now....its still just a beta device with a lot of promise.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenHex View Post
    Truly, an unfortunate development.
    How is more options ever an unfortunate development? Palm is still making WebOS, and WebOS will come on the device. It is not unfortunate that alternatives can be run anymore than it was unfortunate when Apple created bootcamp to allow windows to run on Macs.
    Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DougB541 View Post
    Seriously, use Andriod, its lacking some serious features.
    I like to mess with my phones. If people port Android, or even WinMo to the Pre, I welcome that. Development communities keep phones alive. If it wasn't for the jailbreak iPhone community, I doubt if Apple would have ever come out with "real" apps. I'm hoping the same will happen with the Pre. Devs are gonna hack it, put real native applications on it (i.e. for tethering) and then Palm is going to expand their framework to include deeper access to the phone/WebOS.

To answer your comment, the biggest reason people complain about Android is the hardware. That's cause it's only on one device right now. Wait till more appealing handsets come out, such as the Samsung I7500 with 5MP cam, 3.2" AMOLED screen, 8GB Mem, MicroSD, and a huge 1500mAh battery.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast