Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    537 Global Posts
    One of the big complaints I hear about Blackberries is that they don't sync well with mac computers. Will the Pre be Mac compatible? ICal and MobileMe email syncing will be of great concern to me.
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    Again, we have no real information about syncing with the computer. What we do know is that it will sync with many online services including Google and that ICal can sync with Google Calendar. This means you can sync the calendar. I do not know about MobileMe email syncing. If MobileMe does IMAP I am quite sure that you can do it.
    I think it is unlikely that Apple will allow full MobileMe support on one of iPhone's competitors. Since the Pre does not sync with a desktop in the traditional sense comparing it to a BB is a bit futile. If you get your information out to google or an exchange server it doesnt matter what type of computer you choose to use.
    Global Posts
    537 Global Posts
    I guess I don't fully understand how syncing works. I have a Macbook Pro, and simply want to use MobileMe for my email, along with my Gmail accounts, sync ICal, and sync Address Book.
    I'm not really sure how the Palm Pre would give me any less than an Iphone. I would like to get the Pre since Sprint service here is much better than ATT.
    I would assume (not really familiar with Macs) that it would still work as a plug-and-play USB drive, but thats likely about it.

"I wish my lawn were goth, so it would cut itself." -unknown
    You can make iSync (Address Book, iCal, etc.) sync with Google. Information on how to do this can be found at:
    Lifehacker - Enable Google Contact Sync Without an iPhone or iPod Touch - Address Book
    From there, all of your information should sync with the Pre. My sole complaint with this method is that Address Book doesn't transfer photos of contacts to Google.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevendxm View Post
    You can make iSync (Address Book, iCal, etc.) sync with Google. Information on how to do this can be found at:
    Lifehacker - Enable Google Contact Sync Without an iPhone or iPod Touch - Address Book
    From there, all of your information should sync with the Pre. My sole complaint with this method is that Address Book doesn't transfer photos of contacts to Google.
    This does just contacts. You need to do something else to do iCal: Get Started with CalDAV - Google Calendar Help
    "'Form follows function' — that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Maybe if the Pre is as cool as we hope and as popular as we hope, it will somehow stop people from using Macs?

Well one can dream.
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    I know that the Mojo SDK will be available for the Mac. So that is promising for you.
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Kessler View Post
    This does just contacts. You need to do something else to do iCal: Get Started with CalDAV - Google Calendar Help
    I have not been able to get iCal to sync with Yahoo using this method. If anyone has made this work please give details.

There is at least one third party developer that syncs iCal, and Address Book with the Treo. The app is called "Missing Sync for Palm OS".

It also syncs install, Call Log, iTunes, Notes, Photos, SMS Log, Tasks, Video, Pocket Quicken, and a few others.

I expect these guys or someone else will provide a USB or OTA sync for Macs.
    Tom
    Pilot Prō --> M100 --> Trēō 600 --> Trēō 700p -- > Prē
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    Maybe if the Pre is as cool as we hope and as popular as we hope, it will somehow stop people from using Macs?

Well one can dream.
    Why would anyone stop using a vastly superior OS because of a great phone?
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post

Well one can dream.
    Are you implying that MegaSoft Windoze is better ?

After 6 years of worms, viruses, Blue Screens of Death, anti virus programs killing performance, rebuilding my system on average every 6 months, etc. - I finally decided to try the Steve side of the force 4 years ago. I'm a very happy camper.

If I really need Windoze, I can run Win 2000, Win XP, and Mac OS all at the same time.

Rant off
    Tom
    Pilot Prō --> M100 --> Trēō 600 --> Trēō 700p -- > Prē
  13. tuz
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    So if Google will sync with iCal, does that mean that I can run my calendar from my Pre and iCal and never even have to touch Google calendar, I can just use it as an invisible conduit of sorts?
    Quote Originally Posted by tuz View Post
    So if Google will sync with iCal, does that mean that I can run my calendar from my Pre and iCal and never even have to touch Google calendar, I can just use it as an invisible conduit of sorts?
    Exactly.
    "'Form follows function' — that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Quote Originally Posted by tuz View Post
    I did the same thing... but then I got to thinking, "Why am I using iCal?". The more I thought about it I realized that I didnt need iCal or Address Book for that matter.

All I use is Google Calendar and Contacts (via Gmail). Google Gears makes Gmail and Calendar available locally in case you lose your internet connection on your Mac.

I dont see a need to use the Mac desktop apps since the Google equivalent is just as good if not better. Why muck things up by adding an extra calendar and address book that you dont need?
    I have a G4 desktop and ibook. They collect a lot of dust. I'd like to like them, but now I only use them to troubleshoot my mom's mac's. Going to sell one of them. Makes more sense to keep the ibook, but I don't know what kind of value I'll see for the desktop. There's some nice things about them, but "vastly superior"? I'm not sold there. I've had my 13" Dell XPS for about 2yrs now and haven't had to rebuild once. Did a simple bios updatea month ago, but that's the worst I've had to do. And I'm running vista no less.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Quote Originally Posted by kilofoxtrot View Post
    I did the same thing... but then I got to thinking, "Why am I using iCal?". The more I thought about it I realized that I didnt need iCal or Address Book for that matter.

All I use is Google Calendar and Contacts (via Gmail). Google Gears makes Gmail and Calendar available locally in case you lose your internet connection on your Mac.

I dont see a need to use the Mac desktop apps since the Google equivalent is just as good if not better. Why muck things up by adding an extra calendar and address book that you dont need?
    For me, I like to at least have iCal to put my calendar on my desktop via GeekTool
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Quote Originally Posted by TomD View Post
    Are you implying that MegaSoft Windoze is better ?

After 6 years of worms, viruses, Blue Screens of Death, anti virus programs killing performance, rebuilding my system on average every 6 months, etc. - I finally decided to try the Steve side of the force 4 years ago. I'm a very happy camper.

If I really need Windoze, I can run Win 2000, Win XP, and Mac OS all at the same time.

Rant off
    Never had a worm, virus, and maybe less than 10 BSOD's in over 15 years of using winblows here, my Mac freezes WAY more than my PC's do . It all depends on the end user.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Mac (OS 9) turned Windows here.

Currently running Windows 7.....loving it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eguy View Post
    Never had a worm, virus, and maybe less than 10 BSOD's in over 15 years of using winblows here, my Mac freezes WAY more than my PC's do . It all depends on the end user.
    Very true. It helps to have decent hardware and not the cheapest thing on the shelf. It helps to run a lightweight free antivirus because, yes they do exist, and most of all, it's important to surf and download responsibly.

I use both Macs and Windows machines on a regular basis and for home use, I prefer to custom build my desktops and bargain shop for good laptops. At work I use a Dell at my desk because that's what they give me and I use a Mac Pro for Final Cut work.

In the past month the Pro has crashed twice. Once exporting an audio project and once rendering a video. My $900 DIY machine at home only crashed once in the past 6 months and I was overclocking my video card so my bad.

I'm cool with OSX but until I can buy a sub-$1000 Mac that lets me play the latest games, use Adobe CS4 for video and photos, DJ a party, and power my TV with cable guide, DVR, and streaming video with a remote control, I will keep building my own.

I've already said too much and I know techies have strong opinions on this stuff. I've never cared what other people use but the whole idea that using Windows automatically means you will be plagued with crashes and viruses is silly.

Don't buy the cheapest thing out there. Avoid installing things you downloaded from Limewire. Use Firefox or IE8 or a decent browser. Run a lightweight and free antivirus to cover your *** just in case. You can save hundreds or thousands of dollars with a little effort.

But if you want an iMac or a Pro or whatever, more power to ya. Acura makes cars that are basically Hondas inside but some people still like Acuras. Get what you can afford and what works for you.

End geek rant.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast