Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I hate when a program freezes on the MAC. It's like the whole system freezes. The process of ending non-responsive programs seems to be much quicker in Windows than it does on the Mac.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eguy View Post
    Never had a worm, virus, and maybe less than 10 BSOD's in over 15 years of using winblows here, my Mac freezes WAY more than my PC's do . It all depends on the end user.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    I hate when a program freezes on the MAC. It's like the whole system freezes. The process of ending non-responsive programs seems to be much quicker in Windows than it does on the Mac.
    ... CMD + ALT + ESC brings up Force Quit, select your program, click Force Quit.

That said, I've had to evoke that, oh, maybe a dozen times in three years.
    "'Form follows function' — that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Oh I know how it works. My first Mac was a Mac Plus. It just doesn't always seem to respond as quick as CTRL+ALT+DEL does in Windows. Have had a couple instances lately with Firefox which was why it was on my mind when this thread started to go OT a bit. In Windows I can bypass the ending of the program (or Force Quit) by just ending the process instead of the program. That I don't believe I can do on a Mac.
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Kessler View Post
    ... CMD + ALT + ESC brings up Force Quit, select your program, click Force Quit.

That said, I've had to evoke that, oh, maybe a dozen times in three years.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Kessler View Post
    ... That said, I've had to evoke that, oh, maybe a dozen times in three years.
    Ummm yeah maybe depending on the OS build, the earlier versions of 10.5???
    HP200LX->Treo270->Treo600->Treo650->Treo680->Centro->iPhone3G->
    Treo680->TreoPro->iPhone3GS->PalmPre->HPPre2->HPVeer 2.2.3->HPPre3

Quote Originally Posted by dbmgreen View Post
    Ummm yeah maybe depending on the OS build, the earlier versions of 10.5???
    I've been on since 10.4.4 - and got 10.5 on day one. Overall, it's been incredibly stable for me (just as XP was from before).

Either way, we're really way off topic...
    "'Form follows function' — that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Macs sound like a pain in the ***.
    Last edited by ImmaSlave4U; 05/19/2009 at 12:22 AM.
    "Never regret yesterday. Life is in you today, and you make your tomorrow." —L. Ron Hubbard
    Quote Originally Posted by TomD View Post
    Are you implying that MegaSoft Windoze is better ?

After 6 years of worms, viruses, Blue Screens of Death, anti virus programs killing performance, rebuilding my system on average every 6 months, etc. - I finally decided to try the Steve side of the force 4 years ago. I'm a very happy camper.

If I really need Windoze, I can run Win 2000, Win XP, and Mac OS all at the same time.

Rant off
    Well, since we're ranting

I'm not defending one over the other - in fact, I would love to own a Macbook Pro - but I will keep the record straight. I've run every version of Windows since it came out with v1.0 (24 years ago, sonny ), and I can count all the viruses and worms I've had on one hand, and not many more blue screens of death (more on the server products 3.1 and 3.5) than can be counted with two hands. Now I will admit to falling to the Norton/McAfee resource suck for years, but there are much more lightweight a/v options today. This is from the life of a total geek, so YMMV, but I've also consulted countless users with not much worse results than my own. Windows users sacrifice stability and some level of security for useability and a vast playing field of apps (think Apple App Store in the smartphone arena) that the Mac simply doesn't have.

Again, I don't discriminate - as long as you can click a mouse, you're ok with me!
    Quote Originally Posted by ImmaSlave4U View Post
    Totally off topic.... You know, I have to say I really like your Avatar.. Very nice...
    Remember, this is my opinion ! We all have a right to our own.....

Treo's 650-800..NOW,
    Palm Pre
    They are fine computers. They use the same Intel CPUs, Foxconn motherboards, standard RAM and nVidia GPUs as any other decent machine. They spend a bit more on the cases than most cheap computer manufacturers and it has given them their deserved reputation as some of the better looking machines out there. The smaller hardware set makes it easier to test hardware drivers and minimize conflicts.

That said, they offer a very limited set of models and if you don't want an all-in-one or a mini or a powerful, expensive workstation, it gets hard to justify an Apple desktop. The laptops are a bit more in line since that spec is more expensive across the board.

They can be a pain if you like a lot of control over your experience but they are slightly more "turn-key" than some other brands. They don't install a lot of half-baked software like some other PC manufacturers which is good for those who want something good out of the box.

That said, if you or someone you know has experience custom building machines, you can get a *lot* more bang for your buck by getting a custom build. My main desktop cost me under $900 and has:

- quad core Intel CPU
    - 4GB RAM
    - 1TB hard drive
    - nVidia 9800 GTX+
    - DVD burner
    - 22" widescreen LCD
    - Quiet, cool black metal case
    - Windows Home Premium (now Windows 7 as of a bored last Saturday)
    - Dual tuner card with remote for DVR and cable guide

The only Mac I could get for under $900 is a Mini which is a whole different class. For me it was a matter of bang for buck. I would love to run OSX on it so I could do Final Cut at home but the OS is artificially locked to Apple-brand machines. I've been tempted to set up a "hackintosh" but if I am using it for work I would rather avoid all that. In the meantime I will use Premiere at home and Final Cut on work's $3000 Mac Pro with two dual Xeons
    I like my Mac and all but the only reason I carry it is because its light and powerful at the same time. Stability isn't half bad but takes too long to get a wireless connection on it sometimes. But back on-topic, I'm hoping for some Mac compatibility because my life sorta revolves around iCal and Address Book. If I got all those onto my Pre, and it did its Synergy thing from there on out, I'd be a happy end-user. You hear me Palm?!
    Quote Originally Posted by beret9987 View Post
    I like my Mac and all but the only reason I carry it is because its light and powerful at the same time. Stability isn't half bad but takes too long to get a wireless connection on it sometimes. But back on-topic, I'm hoping for some Mac compatibility because my life sorta revolves around iCal and Address Book. If I got all those onto my Pre, and it did its Synergy thing from there on out, I'd be a happy end-user. You hear me Palm?!
    I got a 3.5 lb Dell XT that is plenty powerful and it never crashed once. I am very happy.

@Derek depending on the program that freezes, trying to Force Quit simply won't work. The only way is to hold the power button and force a reboot. BTW I have used Mac's since OS 3. I enjoyed 9 quite a bit particulaly the screen savers . But this is way too off topic...
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    So does scientology.

For all the windows users here who 'never have problems' or 'have more problems on a mac' I dont think that you are at all typical users. I dont think anyone denies that a knowledgeable user who is willing to get his or her hands dirty every now and then can use windows with no problems. I have an xp box that regularly goes 6 or 8 weeks between reboots while acting as a seedbox and gaming computer.

But most users arnt at the same level you all are.
    Naw, computers are a pain in the asterisks. It just happens to be that some people find some computers to be less of a pain than others, so they decree that the ones they don't like are eeeevil and stuff. Silly, really.

I use Macs and PCs on a daily basis. They're just tools.
    You guys all need to get Linux...
    Quote Originally Posted by JREwing View Post
    I guess I don't fully understand how syncing works. I have a Macbook Pro, and simply want to use MobileMe for my email, along with my Gmail accounts, sync ICal, and sync Address Book.
    I'm not really sure how the Palm Pre would give me any less than an Iphone. I would like to get the Pre since Sprint service here is much better than ATT.
    I've mentioned this in another thread but I'm in the same boat as you. I want to continue using my MobileMe account yet sync with my desktop's iCal and Address Book. I suggest getting Spanning Sync - Sync iCal and Google Calendar. It looks totally worth it and appears it'll work well with the Pre.
    LG TP 1100 -> Sanyo SCP-5150 -> LG PM-325 -> Nokia 1100 -> Motorola v557 -> Treo 755p -> HTC EVO 4G

Sprint customer since 2001
    Quote Originally Posted by bryanharig View Post
    So does scientology.

For all the windows users here who 'never have problems' or 'have more problems on a mac' I dont think that you are at all typical users. I dont think anyone denies that a knowledgeable user who is willing to get his or her hands dirty every now and then can use windows with no problems. I have an xp box that regularly goes 6 or 8 weeks between reboots while acting as a seedbox and gaming computer.

But most users arnt at the same level you all are.
    Not to bump this again, but I don't really get my hands "dirty" unless I'm setting up a new machine. I just don't download sketchy software or use limewire. I keep my machine up to date, and I run a free, lightweight antivirus just in case.

Even my luddite Dad doesn't get crashes. It's because I got him a good machine, set him up with the same antivirus, and he doesn't download funky software or visit dodgy websites. He browses the web, watches movies, and manages his media such as photos and music.

I hooked it up with his HDTV as the monitor and his home theater as the speakers so he can sit on his couch with a wireless kb/mouse and take care of business in style. He is pretty clueless about computers so he's hardly some hacker or expert. The point is just that when properly set up and not abused, Windows machines won't really give you trouble (at least not more than any other computer) and they can be a great value when you compare spec for spec with an Apple brand computer.

And to the guy who said "linux", I tried man. I could never get wireless or screen brightness or sound working on my laptop. On the desktop it ran great but there were no professional audio or video apps that could compete with Win/OSX apps and would run natively. Just couldn't do it when Vista Home Premium only cost me $99 and worked great.
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    Sorry to bump this but as a future Pre owner (counting down the days) and a Mac user I had to ask why you would use a program like Spanning Sync or any other sync program between iCal and Google calender. You can export your iCal as an .isc file and Google Calender lets you upload and import that .isc file. I just created a gmail/google calender account to use with my future Pre for this very reason. Im assuming the Spanning Sync keeps your iCal and Address Book constantly in Sync with google? Will it bring Phone numbers over to the Pre as well?

Of course once I have my Pre I'll likely be using Google Calender exclusively.

As for the off topic debate mac vs pc, meh who cares. As a graphic designer I spend more time with my macs but I love em both.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12