Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    I own a Palm 755p. I am going to get the Palm Pre - I have a ton of phone numbers and memos on my Treo. I have years of data that I don't want to lose. Has Palm said that there will be a an official way to transfer data from the Treo to the Pre? Will they do this for me in the Sprint store when I buy the Pre or is this something I have to do myself at home after I get the Pre? If so - how?
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    At the sprint store I know they will transfer your contacts. As far as any other data, someone else on this forum will probably know.
    Isnt palm making a data transfer assistant service available online?
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aweyrich View Post
    I own a Palm 755p. I am going to get the Palm Pre - I have a ton of phone numbers and memos on my Treo. I have years of data that I don't want to lose. Has Palm said that there will be a an official way to transfer data from the Treo to the Pre? Will they do this for me in the Sprint store when I buy the Pre or is this something I have to do myself at home after I get the Pre? If so - how?
    Do you sync to the desktop?
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
    Quote Originally Posted by bryanharig View Post
    Isnt palm making a data transfer assistant service available online?
    Yes, they are: http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ml#post1599119
    "'Form follows function' — that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    How about if you're currently using another carrier but PLAN to go to Sprint when the Pre hits the streets? Can I get my Treo 680 contacts onto a Pre?
    Quote Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
    How about if you're currently using another carrier but PLAN to go to Sprint when the Pre hits the streets? Can I get my Treo 680 contacts onto a Pre?
    As long as it's in Palm Desktop, absolutely. I think it's safe to assume that your Palm Account and the migration assistant are carrier agnostic.
    "'Form follows function' — that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    They have said there will be a way to migrate your data from Palm Desktop to the Pre. The topic has actually been talked about at length on here. You could probably find more chatter on it by searching.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    They have said there will be a way to migrate your data from Palm Desktop to the Pre. The topic has actually been talked about at length on here. You could probably find more chatter on it by searching.
    So has anyone been able to find another topic about this? I'm also interested and new to this forum, so some help with the link in this topic would be some GREAT help.

Thanks,

B
    Procedure for one time data transfer is in the user guide, must be using palm desktop 6.2, so install that and sync if you haven't already. And RTFM.
    From the user guide:
    Page 19-20:
    Transfer Data From Your Computer to Your New Phone
    If you previously synchronized data from a Palm smartphone—such as contacts or calendar
    events—with a desktop organizer such as Palm Desktop
    ® software by ACCESS or Microsoft
    Outlook
    ®, Address Book, or iCal, you can do a one-way transfer of that data from the desktop
    organizer to your Pre phone.

Windows:
    You can transfer contacts, calendar events, tasks, and memos/notes from Palm
    Desktop software by ACCESS version 6.2 and Microsoft Outlook 2003 or later. If you are using
    an earlier version of Palm Desktop software, download version 6.2 for free from

palm.com/support

Mac:
    You can transfer contacts, calendar events, and tasks from Address Book and iCal.
    Transfer of data from Palm Desktop software on the Mac is not supported at this time.

Palm offers the Data Transfer Assistant to do this one-time data transfer. Use of the Data
    Transfer Assistant is a three-step process:
    Download the Data Transfer Assistant from palm.com/support to your computer.

Connect your phone and your computer using the USB cable, and open and run the
    Data Transfer Assistant on your computer.

On your phone, select where you want your transferred data to be imported:

To an online account: You can assign the transferred data to be imported to one of
    your online accounts, such as Google or Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync.

To your phone: Transferred data that is imported to your phone is backed up to your
    Palm profile, so you have a copy of it. But you can change this data in one place
    only: your phone. The data is not accessible from any online account.

Page 258:

For Current Palm
    ® Smartphone Users

I want to transfer my data from my computer
    If you previously synchronized data from a Palm
    ® smartphone—such as contacts or calendar
    events—with a desktop organizer such as Palm
    ® Desktop by ACCESS or Microsoft Outlook®,
    you can do a one-way transfer of that data from the desktop organizer to your Palm
    ® Pre™
    phone.

Windows:
    You can transfer contacts, calendar events, tasks, and memos/notes from Palm
    Desktop software by ACCESS version 6.2 and Microsoft Outlook 2003 or later. If you don't
    have Palm Desktop version 6.2, download it from
    palm.com.

Mac:
    You can transfer contacts, calendar events, and tasks from Address Book and iCal.
    Transfer of data from Palm Desktop software on the Mac is not supported at this time.
    For instructions on doing a one-way data transfer, see “Transfer Data From Your Computer to
    Your New Phone” on page 19.

If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers