Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    AT&T- News Room

Customers interested in using mobile e-mail, web surfing, and other applications are clamoring for smartphones—and when it comes to carriers, AT&T* is the leading choice among U.S. providers. AT&T today announced that, based on independent market research, twice as many smartphone users have chosen AT&T over any other U.S. carrier. The combination of the nation’s fastest 3G network and nearly 20,000 U.S. Wi-Fi hotspots offers Internet access across the U.S. for AT&T’s industry-leading lineup of iconic devices, including BlackBerry Bold and Nokia E71x.
    Interesting, I wonder who paid for this "independent market research"?

Nation's fastest? Maybe, depending on where you connect, but most reliable? Not so much. AT&T was very clever not to point this out.

In addition to smartphones, which are devices that use open operating systems like Windows Mobile or OS X, AT&T is at the forefront of a new category of full-QWERTY consumer devices known as “quick messaging phones” that bring text and picture messaging, IM, and mobile data applications to the masses. Together, smartphones and quick messaging phones comprise AT&T’s integrated device portfolio, which has more than doubled in subscribers over the past year.
    "Open operating systems"?? Hmmm, define 'open' for us.

Curiously, the article does not mention the iPhone at all - and as indicated in the above quote, it does specifically mention full QWERTY devices.

Somewhere in corporate headquarters, sabres are being sharpened.
    ...All AT&T smartphones are world phones because they operate on the GSM standard, which is used by more than 89 percent of global subscribers...

I think the actual number is 81%, the last time I checked at GSM World.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

If more people really do choose AT&T for smartphones, I bet the real reason may not be quality of the network exactly, but the fact that AT&T supports international 3G phones. And they also recently decided to support more wifi devices than earlier(likely for their own purpose, but it still helps). There are still a lot of business travelers.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  4.    #4  
    People go to AT&T because of the devices, which are arguably better than those offered by any other US carrier - not the network.
    unlimited voice/data/text

sprint = $99/month + taxes + fees
    vzw = $150/month + taxes + fees
    att = $150/month + taxes + fees
    tmob = $125/month + taxes + fees

Gizmodo - The Definitive Coast-to-Coast 3G Data Test - 3G
    Quote Originally Posted by jcunwired View Post
    People go to AT&T because of the devices, which are arguably better than those offered by any other US carrier - not the network.
    I think they also go to ATT for the name brand ATT. They are the biggest and it should mean dependability.

i think the iphone is driving most of their business. without the iphone, AT&T would be hurting. kudos to them for cutting the exclusive deal.
    Together, smartphones and quick messaging phones comprise AT&T’s integrated device portfolio, which has more than doubled in subscribers over the past year.
    Smartphone didnt double for AT&T, smartphones + qwerty messaging phones doubled over last year's smart phone only sales. (as messaging phones were in their infancy)

This isnt a story, just AT&T massaging the numbers to grab a headline.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post

Here's a good comparison

The wife and I pay T-Mobile $132 a month (total bill including tax) for 700 minutes, unlimited Data and unlimited Texting & MMS. The same plan through ATT is $169 before tax.

i think the iphone is driving most of their business. without the iphone, AT&T would be hurting. kudos to them for cutting the exclusive deal.
    Without iPhone Verizon would be beating them even more decisively then they are now. It was worth every concession for them.
    Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    Here's a good comparison

The wife and I pay T-Mobile $132 a month (total bill including tax) for 700 minutes, unlimited Data and unlimited Texting & MMS. The same plan through ATT is $169 before tax.
    more than double your minutes for about same price -

Sprint
    Everything Data Family
    1500 Minutes
    $129.99

Have fun with your phones —unlimited email, Web, TV, text and more.
    This plan includes

* Unlimited data: Web surfing, email, BlackBerry Internet Services (BIS), GPS Navigation, Music Premier, TV Premier, NFL Mobile Live and NASCAR Sprint Cup MobileSM
    * Unlimited messaging: Text, pictures and video
    * Talk: Unlimited mobile to mobile, night calling and weekends starting at 7 p.m., nationwide long distance and no roaming charges
    * Lines 1-2 included. Lines 3-5 are $19.99/mo./line
    * Featured services for Nextel Direct Connect® capable phones: Direct Connect and Group Connect® $10/mo./line (Look for this on the Services page prior to checkout.)
    * More about what's included in this plan
    Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    I think they also go to ATT for the name brand ATT. They are the biggest and it should mean dependability.
    If you have ever had to deal with AT&T, then you would know that there Customer Service is Horrible. I spent nearly 40 hours (My Hours are logged) on hold with AT&T last month trying to fix THEIR $30,000 screw ups with regards to sales taxes and ETF fees (we moved offices and services) on 2 T1 circuits and a PRI... not necessarily their Mobile division, but the apple can not fall too far from the tree... At one point I had been transferred so many times that I'm sure that my talk path went around the world a couple of times. Had to have the guy hang up and call me back because of the degradation of call quality. Unfortunately AT&T is too big and getting in touch with the right person is nearly impossible. AT&T is Evil...
    One good thing about AT&T, you can choose to use a phone without carrier crap in the ROM. Same on T-Mobile, but that 3G thing rears it's head again.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by tprevett View Post
    If you have ever had to deal with AT&T, then you would know that there Customer Service is Horrible. I spent nearly 40 hours (My Hours are logged) on hold with AT&T last month trying to fix THEIR $30,000 screw ups with regards to sales taxes and ETF fees (we moved offices and services) on 2 T1 circuits and a PRI... not necessarily their Mobile division, but the apple can not fall too far from the tree... At one point I had been transferred so many times that I'm sure that my talk path went around the world a couple of times. Had to have the guy hang up and call me back because of the degradation of call quality. Unfortunately AT&T is too big and getting in touch with the right person is nearly impossible. AT&T is Evil...
    IMO, att, vzw, and sprint all have their customer service issues. and i've had them all.
    Was that their landline division? Yes their landline CS SUCKS SO BAD!! You can't even get through the very insulting auto mode, it seems to tell you what you need instead of the other way around. You have to get a person to route you properly by lying to the auto operator.

more than double your minutes for about same price -

Sprint
    Everything Data Family
    1500 Minutes
    $129.99

Have fun with your phones —unlimited email, Web, TV, text and more.
    This plan includes

* Unlimited data: Web surfing, email, BlackBerry Internet Services (BIS), GPS Navigation, Music Premier, TV Premier, NFL Mobile Live and NASCAR Sprint Cup MobileSM
    * Unlimited messaging: Text, pictures and video
    * Talk: Unlimited mobile to mobile, night calling and weekends starting at 7 p.m., nationwide long distance and no roaming charges
    * Lines 1-2 included. Lines 3-5 are $19.99/mo./line
    * Featured services for Nextel Direct Connect® capable phones: Direct Connect and Group Connect® $10/mo./line (Look for this on the Services page prior to checkout.)
    * More about what's included in this plan
    Sprint has great rates!

I am pretty stuck on unlocked GSM phones, but that's just me.

I had ATT about 7 years ago in Chicago. I had the 500 anytime minutes for $59 or $69. I can't remember the exact price. Their coverage at that time was terrible in Chicago. I would roam 50% of the time. Every other month I would get 3 to 5 roaming charges. They would correct a couple of them the next month, but I would end up with more roaming charges in another month.

Gizmodo - The Definitive Coast-to-Coast 3G Data Test - 3G
    If Cricket were to get a really good flagship phone the majors could have a slight problem. Unlimited talk/text/data plans are $50 & $60 (difference is in included roaming minutes). Not sure about service in other cities, but I hear they are pretty good here in Chicago.
    MoBill - Use your Authorize.net account to bill your customers with your webOS device!!
    MoJack - Track your lost or stolen webOS device from anywhere!
    Time to get VIRAL
    Metro PCS should open up shop here too. They get better phones, and are also no or low contract.

I really love the looks of the Pre, but my Sprint service in my area is not good. Will you be able to buy a Pre and use it for AT&T or other carriers??
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast