1.    #1  
    I know that the Pre will display contacts as a collection of data from various sources (Facebook, Exchange, etc). Does anyone know what criteria is used to link those contacts together though??? I'm sure it isn't by name, or at least by name alone. E-mail address, phone number, a combination of?

For example, how will it know that Dr. William Doe III in my Exchange contacts is the same person as Bill Doe in my Facebook contacts???
    Last edited by Laxidasical; 05/16/2009 at 05:16 AM.
    MoBill - Use your Authorize.net account to bill your customers with your webOS device!!
    MoJack - Track your lost or stolen webOS device from anywhere!
    Time to get VIRAL
    My guess, and it's just a guess, is that it will match on all criteria and ask you if they are a real match.

I have seen on the contacts screen something along the lines of "link more profiles" so that may be what is used to do a comparitive search and prompt for correctness
    great question! sounds like it could be tedious for those with lots of contacts and lots of contacts on FB etc - to try to link up all those profiles.

i have 2,600+ Contacts but all of them are in Palm Desktop/Centro Contacts. also, i don't use FB so no worries here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Laxidasical View Post
    I know that the Pre will display contacts as a collection of data from various sources (Facebook, Exchange, etc). Does anyone know what criteria is used to link those contacts together though??? I'm sure it isn't by name, or at least by name alone. E-mail address, phone number, a combination of?

For example, how will it know that Dr. William Doe III in my Exchange contacts is the same person as Bill Doe in my Facebook contacts???
    I remember from one of the videos that the system looks at similarities in contacts, same email address, same phone number, same name, etc, and then asks you if they are the same person. After that, it remembers that they are. Along with that, though I don't remember it specifically being shown, I'm sure that there is something that lets you manually link entries that aren't so obviously related (this is all pretty standard database stuff, with some new functionality added).
    Last edited by hparsons; 05/16/2009 at 08:08 AM.
  5.    #5  
    I see. The initial setup may take a bit of time for me, as I have a lot of contacts in the Palm Desktop and Facebook. Luckily it's a one time thing!
    MoBill - Use your Authorize.net account to bill your customers with your webOS device!!
    MoJack - Track your lost or stolen webOS device from anywhere!
    Time to get VIRAL
    Quote Originally Posted by Laxidasical View Post
    I see. The initial setup may take a bit of time for me, as I have a lot of contacts in the Palm Desktop and Facebook. Luckily it's a one time thing!
    Of course, it's all speculation right now, but I suspect that their "this looks like a match" association system is going to be pretty well done. The success/failure of this phone, and Palm in general, is invested heavily into how well Synergy works...
    I'm sure that the initial set up might take a while. It would be cool if they had like a 'get ready for Pre' website or software or something where you can link everything up in advance and then once you get the Pre you just port it over or plug in your settings or something.
    This is a good question! I agree that matching by phone number, email, address and name is likely to be very accurate. I dont even think it will take too long to do.
    IF its anything like the facebook app for Blackberry, it syncs based on phone number. name and i think email.

If 2 of the 3 match I think they go ahead and sync.

Now, the issue is many of your friends most likely don't have all 3 of those info in their facebook.

Only a handful of my contacts synced with my blackberry from facebook.

Still pretty good as it fills in such info such as occupation and the profile picture.
    Quote Originally Posted by DougB541 View Post
    IF its anything like the facebook app for Blackberry, it syncs based on phone number. name and i think email.

If 2 of the 3 match I think they go ahead and sync.

Now, the issue is many of your friends most likely don't have all 3 of those info in their facebook.

Only a handful of my contacts synced with my blackberry from facebook.

Still pretty good as it fills in such info such as occupation and the profile picture.
    Yeah I'm in the same boat. You're pretty much an ***** if you leave your phone number out on Facebook which is why the whole synergy thing is a little silly to me.

What would be nice is if it integrated Facebook Chat with your contacts as well.
    Palm M100 => Treo 755P => Treo 800w => Treo 755p => Palm Pre => No more Palm/HP products