Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    Gizmodo - Rumor: Apple Considering iPhone Background Apps - Iphone background

You knew they would but I think it wont be as nice as Palm has done it...
    Considering the 3.0 beta is going slower than expected (lots of issues still cropping up) I'd venture to guess this won't be seen for awhile. Probably not until the Eos or other WebOS devices are on the market.
    How is the 3.0 beta going slower than expected? Do you have a link to back up this statement. That's why you have Betas is to find bugs
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    How is the 3.0 beta going slower than expected? Do you have a link to back up this statement. That's why you have Betas is to find bugs
    Weren't there "expectations", that 3.0 would be announced early next month, and now serious speculation that it would not?

He didn't say going slower than announced, or even planned, just slower than expected.
    Last edited by hparsons; 05/16/2009 at 12:37 AM.
    Slower than expected by whom? There is no speculation that it will be late. If so, please post link.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I didn't say going slower than announced, or even planned, just slower than expected.
    Hmm, Aridon made the comment about slow development for 3.0, your post is the first and only in this thread.

I can't be that toasted, can I?

On topic: I'm not really worried about Apple's announcement at WWDC re. new iPhones. Whatever upgrades are incremental at best (higher CPU, memory, camera, etc) and they'll probably concentrate on their MBPs. I'd would even guess that a tablet-like device might be announced, but no release date/price, a la Pre.

If Sprint/Palm play their cards right (thank God they aren't run by us fanbois, eh?) and release it when it's time and with the right amount of marketing buzz, the Pre (and other soon-to-be-announced webOS devices) could really turn Palm around.
    Last edited by Carioca_FL; 05/16/2009 at 12:27 AM.
    Good catch. These message boards are getting strange.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carioca_FL View Post
    Hmm, Aridon made the comment about slow development for 3.0, your post is the first and only in this thread.

I can't be that toasted, can I?
    My brain said "he didn't say"... my fingers typed "I didn't say..." Probaby the egomaniac in me coming out. It does that when I stay up past midnight wasting my time reading rumors.
    I'm not expecting much on the background app front until they:

a) Get a faster iPhone out
    b) Get all the kinks worked out of OS 3.0
    c) Design something that will "beat" Palm

I don't know about c) though. The card system is pretty ingenious I might say. Possibly an expose type of app management for Apple though to handle background apps?
    I'm confused about that "slower than expected" comment. I didn't see this posted anywhere.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    From the linked article:

Apple previously claimed their now late push data system could alert dormant applications of new events without needing those apps to be open.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    From the linked article:

Apple previously claimed their now late push data system could alert dormant applications of new events without needing those apps to be open.
    The "now late" is that it was supposed to come out with iPhone OS 2.0. As in last year. 3.0 is still on track.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Sorry for the delay was tied up with other things.

I'm using 3.0 and have been since beta 2. There are some serious issues that are rather spread out with the software that have been popping up here and there since the start.

The biggest are the lock ups during calls, stuck vibration or ringing, blue tooth still has a lot of issues, random signal drops and no service followed by full bars, home button has gone unresponsive at times, visual voice mail not working etc...

I believe the random issues and such is what is causing them to pull the Iphone from the June 8th announcement and moving it to later in the month for its own event.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aridon View Post
    I believe the random issues and such is what is causing them to pull the Iphone from the June 8th announcement and moving it to later in the month for its own event.
    Wait. You mean that they were expecting 3.0 to be far enough along that they could announce at the June 8th event, and now they're not going to...

Interesting.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Wait. You mean that they were expecting 3.0 to be far enough along that they could announce at the June 8th event, and now they're not going to...

Interesting.
    Just speculation on my part. No reason for them to delay it, the 3g phone was announced there so they are either doing it for technical reasons or marketing ones. Given the state of the beta which isn't terrible or anything it just isn't nearly ready for prime time I'm leaning towards technical over marketing. Another month and they may have most of it hammer down. Release candidate goes out and the final testing can make sure they don't have a lingering issue when they release to a broad user base.

Its been a hit or miss beta they have been fixing items in one revision and routinely breaking them again in the next. Given how closed the system is and that its entirely apple's proprietary software I'm not sure why they are having so many issues.

This also isn't my first beta party so I know full and well what to expect and do a lot of testing for different companies in different product lines.
    IMO I feel Apple will still need redesign the GUI a bit for multitasking. The original UI is designed for one app at a time. Apple isn't known to just slap a feature on and call it a day like Microsoft.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    They're pretty much known for simply not having them..lol
    Maybe they are rebuilding it from the inside. The issues mentioned sound like that may be it. Because if that many things really are wrong, it may not be just a redoing of 2.1. Plus the fact that all developers now must use 3.0 standard makes you wonder too.

BTW, there was a September release rumor but that came along with the keyboard rumor so at the time I dismissed it a bit. Maybe it's true afterall?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    They're pretty much known for simply not having them..lol
    Yeah, because Mac OS X is lacking so many features that Windows has.

Oh. Wait.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Concerning hardware, Cardfan is dead on, LOL!

And of course Mobile OSX, but their hardware omissions can be considered even worse, for the money paid.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast