Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Have iPhone but thinking of going to Sprint for Pre. With Sprint 3G devices, do you get data roaming (but using 3G) for free on other 3G EVDO systems (e.g., Verizon or Alltel, soon to be Verizon) when you are out of a Sprint area?
    Yes, Sprint has data roaming agreements w/other carriers. They do include access to 3G networks. Depending on where you're located, I think you'll find that Sprint's native coverage is very strong.
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    I'm in NC and SC a lot. Outside of big metro areas here Sprint's coverage is very weak. But, ALLTEL's entire coverage here is EVDO, even in rural areas, and most of Verizon's (prior to the ALLTEL acquisition) is EVDO, even in rural areas. Therefore, if I can data roam, then having Sprint would hopefully give me access to the ALLTEL and Verizon rural coverage.
    quite simply, I don't know the last time I accrued roaming charges on sprint.
    I love lolcats
    Relative to roaming fees, all (all that I know of) of the current Sprint plans include roaming (voice & data) at no charge. However, be mindful of the 'fine print.' I think you'll find that Sprint can charge you for roaming, if it exceeds a certain (~50%..?) of your total usage.
    Quote Originally Posted by FONdude View Post
    Relative to roaming fees, all (all that I know of) of the current Sprint plans include roaming (voice & data) at no charge. However, be mindful of the 'fine print.' I think you'll find that Sprint can charge you for roaming, if it exceeds a certain (~50%..?) of your total usage.
    That's what I always heard. They pay money for roaming agreements so they don't want you to buy a Sprint phone and always be roaming on VZW. As far as I have seen on Sprint, I always roam free in those very few areas where I only get VZW (such as the DC Metro). Never paid a dime for it.
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Yeah, good points. I think the fine print does limit your percentage of time data roaming. That's OK because I won't be doing it but every so often. My real concern is that I be able to data roam USING 3G for free. Or when you data roam off Sprint with a 3G device are you forced to do so on the much slower 1XRTT networks of Verizon, ALLTEL, etc.? Having access to Sprint 3G plus the data roaming at 3G speeds on Verizon, etc. when out of Sprint markets is a no brainer good deal.
    Last edited by hbg; 05/15/2009 at 12:40 PM. Reason: Clarify
    Quote Originally Posted by FONdude View Post
    Slight misunderstanding here, Sprint can not charge you for excess roaming usage. But they will 'fire' you as a customer if you exceed the limits set forth in your contract.

As for the Pre, it supports 850 and 1900mhz CDMA. So it can roam on any VZW or Alltell network. Sprint currently has EVDO roaming agreements with Alltell and 1x roaming agreements with VZW.
    Quote Originally Posted by zionixi View Post
    quite simply, I don't know the last time I accrued roaming charges on sprint.
    Ditto

Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Thanks. If ALLTEL's contract was with Sprint, hopefully in the purchase of ALLTEL, Verizon had to assume the remaining contract for EVDO roaming so that it has to continue to allow it even though ALLTEL will no longer exist. However, I obviously don't know what's in the contract (e.g., contract right to terminate if either company were acquired, etc.).
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    I'm going to ask over at the Sprint forums and see what Sprint reps say.
    When I roam on my Centro, I only get 1xRTT data anot not EVDO. I use data roaming every day and have never had an excess charge...
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    The best are the constant people who bash Sprint saying their service suck and there is no coverage.

Well, 1. of course coverage depends on where you live but 2. Sprint has coverage where there towers are and where Verizon's towers are.

read: a lot of coverage.
    That is a benefit, but in reality roaming coverage is almost never a perfect solution. Roaming wont help in an area with a weak but detectable Sprint signal and a strong Verizon signal. Sprint does not allow the customer to force roaming on current phones, so their phones will always prefer a lousy Sprint signal over any roaming signal.
    Quote Originally Posted by bryanharig View Post
    Sprint does not allow the customer to force roaming on current phones, so their phones will always prefer a lousy Sprint signal over any roaming signal.
    Really? They've let you on all of my Treos and on my Motorola q9c.
    Last edited by jhoff80; 05/15/2009 at 04:58 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Really? They've let you on all of my Treos and on my Motorola q9c.
    Yeah, you can set all Sprint phones to "Roaming only" and it uses only the Verizon signal... But I have been in a place with no Sprint or Verizon signal so I was screwed then (Does not happen often).
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09

IT depends on the phone.

The latest upgrade to my blackberry removed the roaming only option.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eguy View Post
    Yeah, you can set all Sprint phones to "Roaming only" and it uses only the Verizon signal... But I have been in a place with no Sprint or Verizon signal so I was screwed then (Does not happen often).
    No, you cant. Your info is outdated.
    Quote Originally Posted by bryanharig View Post
    No, you cant. Your info is outdated.
    hmm all the Sprint phones I have used had that options... I haven't seen one that didn't have it.

IIRC the Instinct and every phone released after it have had no option to force roam only mode.

Some PDA devices can be hacked to enable it, but I dont really follow which.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast