Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Palm - The 10 Biggest Tech Failures of the Last Decade - TIME

Ouch, it's up there with Vista, Vonage, Sirius XM, HD DVD...

Palm's stock trades at $669 in late 2000, now it's around $11.41- and that's even banking off of the Pre.
    it seems like a pretty fare assesment
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    Time: One of the Least Important Publications Still in Existence Today

Seriously, does ANYONE under the age of 50 still read Time?
    hmmmn. article is current - dated May 12, 2009. if Ruby and Palm can turn the ship around, success will taste that much sweeter after articles like this.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Libb View Post
    Time: One of the Least Important Publications Still in Existence Today

What do you read? The National Enquirer?
    Quote Originally Posted by Pre_Diction View Post
    What do you read? The National Enquirer?
    The internet.

Seriously, magazine are for waiting rooms. They are right behind paper newspapers on the slow train to irrelevance.
    Honestly, anyone who doesn't believe Palm had a catastrophic failure after pretty much the Handspring acquisition (maybe give them the benefit of the doubt and say a few years later) is fooling themselves. Hopefully the new engineers won't be as content to sit on their laurels after (if) the Pre is a success, like they did after the Treo 600 was acquired from Handspring and perfected with the 650 (don't get me wrong, I know the 650 wasn't entirely perfect, I mean Palm added the features with the 650 that the 600 should've had in the first place, namely Bluetooth and 320x320.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Libb View Post
    I think in your particular case, the statement would be better written as: "Seriously, does ANYONE under the age of 50 still read?"
    People don't remember how much crap Apple was in not that long ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by bryanharig View Post
    The internet.

Seriously, magazine are for waiting rooms. They are right behind paper newspapers on the slow train to irrelevance.
    Umm, the article being cited was on Time's web site. Last time I checked, time.com was located on that vast series of tubes known as the internet.

Not sure if you were dissing Time's content delivery channel (a combination of print and web) or their actual content itself. If it's the latter, remember that the internet itself is of little use if there are no providers dishing up content for us to read!
    The decade is not over.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Aridon View Post
    People don't remember how much crap Apple was in not that long ago.
    True that.

I firmly believe Palm has a gem on their hand with WebOS.
    I hate to say it but until the Pre launches and they gain success the Time article makes a valid point objectively. The Pre can turn it around, but they aren't there yet. If nothing else this should be good "bulletin board material" at Palm to help motivate the hell out of them to make this work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahootzki View Post
    The decade is not over.....
    Last decade, as in the last ten years.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    Time Magazine? Is there such a thing?
    I don't mean to be cynical, but you folks don't think that the timing of this article is a coincidence do you?

Business objectives are achieved (either directly or as part of a broader strategy) with "news" articles like this...and quid pro quo occurs. What will that be? Who knows, but hey, don't be surprised if you see an exclusive interview with Steve Jobs talking about his health issues in this magazine in a month or two.

Maintain a reasonable level of suspicion at all times...and remember to question authority. Even paranoids have enemies.
    IIIx -> Tungsten T -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Launch day Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Kessler View Post
    Last decade, as in the last ten years.
    oh, I thought from 2000 to 2010, because usually they do those things yearly or every 5 years or 10....
    Quote Originally Posted by jewel View Post
    Time Magazine? Is there such a thing?
    Ah yes - another member of that secret organization: The Illiterati.
    Time Magazine doesn't exist anymore though....

So he's kinda right.
    Quote Originally Posted by DougB541 View Post
    Time Magazine doesn't exist anymore though....

So he's kinda right.
    You're kinda kidding, right? (Time Magazine Home Delivery Subscription Page)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast