Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    So I was always jealous of all the iPod cables that let you control your music through your stereo while providing a great connection for the audio.

Since there are no contacts on the bottom of the PRE. We cant even hope for that type of functionality.

This bothers me.

No speaker docks, nothing like that.

Will blue tooth allow us to do this? To the same extent?

Think about all the accessories.
    Quote Originally Posted by AdidasNYR View Post
    So I was always jealous of all the iPod cables that let you control your music through your stereo while providing a great connection for the audio.

Since there are no contacts on the bottom of the PRE. We cant even hope for that type of functionality.

This bothers me.

No speaker docks, nothing like that.

Will blue tooth allow us to do this? To the same extent?

Think about all the accessories.
    Probably bluetooth or the 3.5mm headphone jack on top of the phone.
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vicn77 View Post
    Probably bluetooth or the 3.5mm headphone jack on top of the phone.
    But that gives us no control through the existing radio.
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    If your head unit supports USB Mass Storage for plugging in flash drives with music on them, you could probably do the same thing with the Pre - but you won't get calls and such while in USB mode...
    True true, but the iphone was different.

The Ipod had been out for such a long time before the iPhone, that having an interface to your radio was already prevalant with most aftermarket radio manufacturers.
    here is a guess: w/ a USB connection ,and the right program ii'm thinking u can prodcue all kinda of accessories for the car.
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    dial 1-800-waaahhhh.

kidding. Seriously though. One plus is the Pre is seen as an external drive. There are some head units with USB that allow for external drives to be connected. I believe Sony, Kenwood and Clarion make models like that. Some have some limitations I believe on # of files and filename lengths. That would be one option.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    With Pandora and all the potential software in the Pre that plays music, I think there definitely will be a hardware company that would release a bluetooh (steering wheel mount) controller that can access the Pre's interface. It wouldn't hurt to suggest it to the Palm team, but I wouldn't be surprised if such things are already in the works
    Just buy an iPod and leave it in the car.
    You could have a custom cable with only so many pinouts. Skip the one that enables USB mode but still allows for audio out. Could be a possibility.
    Quote Originally Posted by Libb View Post
    If your head unit supports USB Mass Storage for plugging in flash drives with music on them, you could probably do the same thing with the Pre - but you won't get calls and such while in USB mode...
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    Best advice
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    I did that with an old ipod. My girlfriend had one with a broken 3.5mm jack. The dock still worked and our Jetta has an ipod control cable in the glove box. I loaded the ipod up, locked it in the glove box, and had a nice jukebox option whenever I wanted.

One day I went to use it and it wasn't working. Turns out someone jacked it from the glove box. She must have left the door unlocked because there was no sign of entry other than the fact that the glove box will no longer lock.

That was seriously the most considerate car thief I have ever had the displeasure of being robbed by. All he got out of the deal was a broken iPod that he probably can't even sell because I installed Rockbox on it
    or, a car audio company should cut a deal with palm and make a touch screen interface deck that runs off webOS, which can sync directly to your pre
    I love lolcats
    Eh, I use a 3.5 out of AUX to play my Zune. I prefer it that way, so that if I have other people in the car with different MP3 players, anyone's will fit. Having a proprietary connection sucks. Plus I like just changing the song on the actual player.
    Treo 650p --> Treo 755p --> Pre
    More than likely bluetooth, which you can control from your car stereo, Ive had two so far paired with two different phones.
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    dial 1-800-waaahhhh.

kidding. Seriously though. One plus is the Pre is seen as an external drive. There are some head units with USB that allow for external drives to be connected. I believe Sony, Kenwood and Clarion make models like that. Some have some limitations I believe on # of files and filename lengths. That would be one option.
    Baba BOOOEY!
    Follow me on Twitter : MrKal_El
    Quote Originally Posted by AdidasNYR View Post

Man, I thought that of all the gadget freaks here there would be someone here who installs car stereos! I have installed a bunch of car stereos for myself over the years. Most of them have a 3.5mm input on the back of them. It just requires that you remove the stereo and use a cord that has two 3.5mm "male" ends. Run it under the carpet or just leave it out (or run it to the glove box, etc.). Then plug whatever you want into the stereo.

The alternative is to go buy a head unit that has an aux input on the face of it. You can get one for like $70 most places. Of course if you want a really, really nice head unit... well if you have one of those they will have an aux input on the back if not the front.

There is also the option of getting an FM transmitter that plugs into the phone's 3.5mm jack.

Between those two options there is really no need to get fancy. I would do any of the above before I bought some expensive accessory that accomplishes the same thing.

Also, how many people here have a stereo with bluetooth? The 3.5mm cord is like $2.

EDIT: So in the time it took for me to post this other people have already suggested the exact same thing. My bad!
    Quote Originally Posted by whaddupdoe View Post
    More than likely bluetooth, which you can control from your car stereo, Ive had two so far paired with two different phones.
    My bt headphones can control next/previous play/pause fwd/rev on my centro, so that'll probably work with the pre. You won't be able to select a song form your library though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter E Kurtz View Post
    Eh, I use a 3.5 out of AUX to play my Zune. I prefer it that way, so that if I have other people in the car with different MP3 players, anyone's will fit. Having a proprietary connection sucks. Plus I like just changing the song on the actual player.
    I prefer changing the song using my car's iDrive controller or steering wheel controls. I am not that concerned about other people's MP3 players, but if I did car, the iPod hookup includes a standard 3.5mm jack.
    Quote Originally Posted by whaddupdoe View Post
    Bluetooth chews up battery life so badly on my Treo 650 & 680 that I would never dream of making a car connection this way. 3.5mm audio out jack, the only way to go.
    -- Josh
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast