Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    That is exactly right -- exactly what would advocates leak about the phone itself that we don't already know?
    How about boot up time?
    What shows up in the app store?
    How many ringers come with it?
    Video recording?
    Which apps are on it out of the box?
    There's also the good chance that any real leaks would seriously undermine the marketing strategy Palm has in place. If they want to put this thing out to great fanfare right before iPhone 4th gen is announced, what good does it do them if the competition already knows exactly what they have planned and has time to formulate a response? There will be time following the launch for competition to move along and other devices to include features introduced in the Pre. In my opinion that is a good thing. If it weren't for Apple showing the market that smartphones could be attractive and easy to use as well as capable, the other companies may have taken even longer to start working on things like WebOS. Still, they need to make some real sales and re-establish their brand. In order to pull that off they need to do everything right. If too many secrets are leaked ahead of launch it could jeopardize their marketing strategy. They already have an uphill battle and I would like to see them pull this off and stay in the game.
    Quote Originally Posted by neodorian View Post
    There's also the good chance that any real leaks would seriously undermine the marketing strategy Palm has in place. If they want to put this thing out to great fanfare right before iPhone 4th gen is announced...
    Just a minor correction. The iPhone is currently only on its 2nd generation (iPhone 3G), so the next iPhone (iPhone 3.0 OS) will be a 3rd generation device, not 4th generation. The "3G" in the name iPhone 3G doesn't stand for 3rd generation of the device; it is the 3rd generation (3G) data service.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    Quote Originally Posted by Insp_Gadget View Post
    Just a minor correction. The iPhone is currently only on its 2nd generation (iPhone 3G), so the next iPhone (iPhone 3.0 OS) will be a 3rd generation device, not 4th generation. The "3G" in the name iPhone 3G doesn't stand for 3rd generation of the device; it is the 3rd generation (3G) data service.
    Good call. I knew that too but got mixed up from talking about 4G Damn you Apple and your confusing nomenclature!!
    Good call. I knew that too but got mixed up from talking about 4G Damn you Apple and your confusing nomenclature!!
    Yes, it's very confusing...especially to the masses that don't know 3G or 4G from a hole in their heads. And lets not prime the pump too much for the Apple fanbois who think that the next iPhone will have 4G data.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    The make it even more confusing by referring the first iPhone as a 2G device. Very confusing but since they have the market share, I guess they can do whatever they want till they get some competition....like the Pre.

Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    Yes, it's very confusing...especially to the masses that don't know 3G or 4G from a hole in their heads. And lets not prime the pump too much for the Apple fanbois who think that the next iPhone will have 4G data.
    Eh, it's all good. Hardcore brand-whores and fanboys are like fundamentalists. They have already come to the conclusion that they are right about everything and everyone else is wrong. Nothing you can say or do will change the fact that they chose the "one true way" and everything else is just an imitator.

Then you get gadget enthusiasts like myself (and I imagine quite a few here) that are more concerned with seeing the overall market improve and better devices always defining the new standard. I could care less about what brand or device is top of the pack. I only care if it can do what I want and for a price I am willing to pay. Only reason I never got an iPhone is that I would have to give up too many features I use regularly and I would have had to pay a lot more for the privilege. If it's the device for someone else then more power to them.
    Eh, it's all good. Hardcore brand-whores and fanboys are like fundamentalists. They have already come to the conclusion that they are right about everything and everyone else is wrong. Nothing you can say or do will change the fact that they chose the "one true way" and everything else is just an imitator.

Then you get gadget enthusiasts like myself (and I imagine quite a few here) that are more concerned with seeing the overall market improve and better devices always defining the new standard. I could care less about what brand or device is top of the pack. I only care if it can do what I want and for a price I am willing to pay. Only reason I never got an iPhone is that I would have to give up too many features I use regularly and I would have had to pay a lot more for the privilege. If it's the device for someone else then more power to them.
    You're quite right. I don't fault anyone for using whatever device works best for them. But if they are going to sing a device's praises, (and this is just my opinion) they need to be accurate on the facts. That goes for ANY device. Personally, I think the iPhone is a wonderful device, but it's not for me. I value freedom to do whatever I want with a device. Apple's draconian control over what can and can't be run on the device (without jailbreaking) is a major turn-off for me. Others don't have a problem with that. Cool. That's their choice.

While I love my Treos and my Diamond, I will move to whatever device meets/exceeds my demands for power, versatility, and price. The Pre looks like it is going to do so...but that will be determined once I load my data on it and see how it truly performs.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Though the next iPhone is actually the forth generation of the platform if you consider the iPhone and iPod touch part of the same platform.

model 1,1 was the original EDGE capable iphone
    model 1,2 was the 3g iPhone
    model 2,1 is the platform of the current iPod touch. No iPhone has been introduced with this platform.
    x,x will be the model number of the next, 4th generation design.
    You're quite right. I don't fault anyone for using whatever device works best for them. But if they are going to sing a device's praises, (and this is just my opinion) they need to be accurate on the facts. That goes for ANY device. Personally, I think the iPhone is a wonderful device, but it's not for me. I value freedom to do whatever I want with a device. Apple's draconian control over what can and can't be run on the device (without jailbreaking) is a major turn-off for me. Others don't have a problem with that. Cool. That's their choice.

While I love my Treos and my Diamond, I will move to whatever device meets/exceeds my demands for power, versatility, and price. The Pre looks like it is going to do so...but that will be determined once I load my data on it and see how it truly performs.
    I'm with you on that one. I thank Apple for inspiring better UI in other devices but I won't give up my qwerty and my multitasking. Personally I prefer to keep those two things among others. Likewise I don't like the idea of having to violate the license just to do what I want with it. I think for a lot of folks moving up from dumbphones the iPhone was a savior. For those of us used to multitasking smartphones, it was more of a mixed bag.

I also would prefer to avoid ATT if I can help it. Just not a fan of their pricing or business practices.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    How about boot up time?
    What shows up in the app store?
    How many ringers come with it?
    Video recording?
    Which apps are on it out of the box?
    There is nothing in the app store yet.
    Ringers are the usual medley, nothing too crazy there.
    No video recording, but the camera runs extremely smooth and fast, (much better than my Touch Pros)
    You all know what is there. The usual sprint apps (tv, navi) gmaps is working well, amazon music is up and running, etc etc.

Start up time is pretty long, about 3-4 minutes. Battery life is pretty good from what i saw. The build on it is extremely good, only complaint about it physically is that it gets smudged extremely easily.

Honestly though, there is little reason for advocates to say anything, its all out there if you look for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by FrameMaker View Post
    Start up time is pretty long, about 3-4 minutes.
    You were doing pretty good but then you lost me there. It boots pretty fast, between 10-15 seconds (this a cold, hard boot, after replacing the battery).

This is from an acquaintance that has had access to the Pre.
    I am thinking that was initial boot (i.e. ROM being uncompressed and installing apps for the first time)... just a hunch, but what do I know
    No video???
    There is no spoon
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    Couldn't you have asked him one more question that he could have answered with a shake or a nod....like...will it come out BEFORE June 7th?
    Went to my Best Buy today (18th) about 2PM. Primary phone guy said the phone was "definitely" coming out the same day the new iPhone was to be announced. He didn't give me an official date other than early June.

I asked about pricing. He said he had only heard rumors--$199 for new Sprint customers & $249 (possibly) for Sprint customers upgrading. He said it was sure to be in the price range of the iPhone.

Unprompted, he said there would be a prelaunch--pun intended? Prior to the official launch, but he didn't know if that would be the day of the iPhone announcement.

I was in a bit of a rush so I pretty much listened to what he volunteered. He seemed to know what he was talking about, but probably no more reliable than any other Best Buy Rep.

Cheers
    Quote Originally Posted by dtokarz View Post
    I think its more about confirmation. We know its shipping with a 1150 battery, but how is battery life? We know what possible apps there are, but which ones will ship with the Pre?

Most of the things we are doing in this forum is speculation. Now what we need is confirmation.
    Actually huge numbers of objective facts are out there on this forum, more than any phone I have ever seen.

Battery life comments from an advocate or any user of the handset in the first week or less of use would be problematic since everyone will be putting the phone through all its paces or simply playing with it endlessly. I would not be surprised if the battery lasts five hours a pop the first few times I use one.
    I have received good confirmation that the advocates were not allowed to even activate the phone on the network yet.

I am not sure if this has changed as of a few days ago but if that is the case, then battery reports are moot.
    I would like to remind people not to get worked up about claims made here, or anywhere, until we have proof. Pre boots up in 10 seconds, Pre boots up in 4 minutes. Someone is lying, so don't take anything said as reason to get upset...or excited.
    Quote Originally Posted by Knee Dragger View Post
    No video???
    That's recording.
    Sorry for the ****ty quality. I blurred the pic. My coworkers friend works at one the the Sprint store and has been playing with it since last week. He said the advocate activated the phone and handed it to him for training.. Lucky *******!! Oh I asked about the battery life and he said it lasted a full day.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast