Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    NPR: Palm Pre Is Pretty Impressive

Palm Pre Is Pretty Impressive

By Laura Sydell

< edited by Dieter -- please dont' post articles in their entirety >

Still, I have no idea if this device can rescue Palm, a company that hasn't been at the top in a long time. When they release this device it will only be available on Sprint and that isn't the most popular network. It's hard to imagine that anyone would actually switch over to Sprint just to get a Palm Pre. Palm isn't Apple and doesn't have its loyal following. And as pretty as the Pre happens to be it isn't likely to have the sex appeal of the iPhone
    That was a pretty harsh review.
    She obviously has no faith in sprint whatsoever. She also stated that the pre isn't likey to be as sexy as the Iphone. IMO she is just a pessimist. PALM!!!! should really take sit down, take the time, and really consider who they allow to hold the pre and let publicly review it. Laura also thinks its a dumb idea for the pre to be exclusively held on sprint, essentially her argument is making PALM!! look dumb.

How would you like it if you had just made some brand new shoes ( lets call them nikes ) that will enable you to get 2 more inches on your vertical leap INSTANTANEously. So you let some LADY, that does not have the same amount of interest in shoes as men do and just praises whatever is popular, come and review your nikes and comments by saying " Its 'impressive' but it'll never be as sexy as those jordans. And you're only selling them through Champs. Good luck with selling those,................... yeah... right"

I honestly believe that this is a biased article. And the only reason she gave somewhat of a good review is because Palm allowed her to put her hand on it, if they did. Its obvious, if you can tell, shes only commenting on the same thing that everyone else comments on. Open multiple applications. Its so repetitive. Its annoying.

I don't think she like it much only because the iphone is the hot thing right now. WHO USES THE TERM 'IMPRESSIVE'. Impressive is like " its very good that you are trying, I am impressed" That is very different from " THIS IS A AMAZING DEVICE, ITS VERY FAST, HANDLES MULTITASKING SUPERBLY, AND WILL DEFINITELY MAKE AN IMPACT ON THE MOBILE MARKET ONCE RELEASED"

I don't think she knows much about cellular devices.
    I think you have become too emotionally attached to the Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by SooHeartleSSss View Post
    ...LADY, that does not have the same amount of interest in shoes as men do...
    Uhm...where would you find one of those?
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AdidasNYR View Post
    NPR: Palm Pre Is Pretty Impressive

It's hard to imagine that anyone would actually switch over to Sprint just to get a Palm Pre. Palm isn't Apple and doesn't have its loyal following. And as pretty as the Pre happens to be it isn't likely to have the sex appeal of the iPhone
    I'm switching just for the Pre...must not be too hard to imagine!
    Quote Originally Posted by jayzun View Post
    I'm switching just for the Pre...must not be too hard to imagine!
    Then again, I am going to wait for the GSM version.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

The underdog gets his eventually.

Just sayin'
    "Don't comment on tecnolology if you are a woman. Just stick to shoes. "

wow.

I thought it was a good article. Granted, we've heard it all before, but we are all palm fans.
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    I've said this before - Palm is not counting on ONE device to save them. It is a mere introduction to a whole new line of devices and a revolutionary mobile operating system that will change the way we look at phones. The Pre is just a stepping stone (pun intended) and a sign of great things to come
    Quote Originally Posted by cary328is View Post
    I've said this before - Palm is not counting on ONE device to save them. It is a mere introduction to a whole new line of devices and a revolutionary mobile operating system that will change the way we look at phones.
    Yet if this one device fails to meet the seemingly unachievable standards heaped upon it through hype, buzz, and fanboism, the "whole new line of devices" house-of-cards will come tumbling down. Trust me - Palm is counting on the Pre - a lot. One might say, in poker terms, they're all in with the Pre.
    There are going to be plenty of negative reviews and plenty of positive ones. Just like the Iphone. So don't tie the size of your man hood to them or your phone. In a year we will all be talking about the next best thing as these products have a short time in the spot light.
  12. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    She is either an APPLE fanboy or too young to remember PALM was an iconic name too.
    Looking at her profile says she is 40 something, that makes my statement of too young to remember as a false one.

Take a look at her background ,
    "
    Among her all-time favorite pieces are her profile of a private eye who found a way to incorporate Buddhist faith into her job by working exclusively on death penalty cases, and the story of a mother's devotion to a son charged with a brutal murder and the bus that carries her and others with incarcerated family members from New York City to a prison upstate."

and

"
    Before coming to San Francisco, Sydell was based in New York City where she worked as a reporter for NPR member station WNYC. There, her reports on race relations, city politics, and arts won numerous awards from The Newswomen's Club of New York, The New York Press Club, The Society of Professional Journalists, and others. She has also produced long-form radio documentaries that focused on individuals whose life experiences turned them into activists."
  13. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Any review by the likes of Mossberg are worth their salt.

Working for NPR covering activists will not make the person understand the technology very well.

The simple fact she mentioned about being able to opening three windows simultaneously is worth the money you pay for Pre.

Plus , SPRINT network is much better than ATT in most of the major metro areas.

IMHO, non technical journalists should be careful about reviewing gadgets . And if you are a rookie stick to stating the facts .
    I have an iPhone and I most likely will switch to Sprint for the Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by tsanders3 View Post
    I have an iPhone and I most likely will switch to Sprint for the Pre.
    As will I if things all pan out when I get to handle one.
  16. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Yet if this one device fails to meet the seemingly unachievable standards heaped upon it through hype, buzz, and fanboism, the "whole new line of devices" house-of-cards will come tumbling down. Trust me - Palm is counting on the Pre - a lot. One might say, in poker terms, they're all in with the Pre.

cards , poker , betting
    but no real date
    Quote Originally Posted by SooHeartleSSss View Post
    I don't think she knows much about cellular devices.
    Fanboy much?