Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 510111213141516 LastLast
Results 281 to 300 of 305
  1. dtokarz's Avatar
    Posts
    371 Posts
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    #281  
    One sentence sums this up: Thinning out the herd.
  2. #282  
    Quote Originally Posted by DougB541 View Post
    In a jury, you don't base your decision on "compassion"......seriously.


    The judge bases the sentence on compassion, but the jury is just there to determine if the defendant committed a crime.
    I didn't say they did. What I was simply stating is that I am glad there is a balance. Not just intolerable, self righteous people who solely rely on just the black and white of it all. Everything all evidence, circumstances, current frame of mind, and background are considered when determining if someone is guilty or not. We don't know any of these things, therefore we are not the judge nor the jury. I was simply injecting compassion into an otherwise intolerable thread. Just for the record in law compassion is termed leniency.
  3. #283  
    Quote Originally Posted by Sassy_Lina View Post
    I didn't say they did. What I was simply stating is that I am glad there is a balance. Not just intolerable, self righteous people who solely rely on just the black and white of it all. Everything all evidence, circumstances, current frame of mind, and background are considered when determining if someone is guilty or not. We don't know any of these things, therefore we are not the judge nor the jury. I was simply injecting compassion into an otherwise intolerable thread. Just for the record in law compassion is termed leniency.
    and leniency is not exercised by the jury.
  4. #284  
    Quote Originally Posted by bryanharig View Post
    and leniency is not exercised by the jury.
    But all circumstances are! Either way I digress. I don't enjoy talking to a brick wall.
  5. #285  
    How about an alternate point of view from a compassion standpoint?

    Palm has decided that they need to keep certain details of the Pre under wraps until they are ready to release it. Perhaps they don't want to hurt the sales of their other products before the Pre comes out...or as folks say in business, they don't want to cannibalize their existing sales. Such cannibalization might exacerbate their existing cashflow issues...which might force them to lay *other* folks off...or, as might be more interesting to this crowd, have less funding available to launch and advertise the Pre...and ensure its success.

    They may also not want details out before the phone is fully release-ready since negative details may also adversely affect the release...and eventual success (or failure) of both the product and the company. Perhaps they just want to control who initially reviews the product.

    Whatever their plan is, you can most likely assume that it is part of a broader strategy to eventually sell as many Pres as possible and save their company. That's a company, BTW, that many folks are saying is on it's deathbed. If they fail, *many* folks lose their jobs. BTW, Sprint is in a very similar situation...bleeding customers.


    Compassion is always easy when you are face-to-face with an individual who needs it (or at least wants it)...but it's usually a little tougher to exhibit thoughtfully when also considering the broader picture. Folks hand out spare change to the guy on the street panhandling as they go off to buy their $4 latte, but then ignore the billions in need around the world.

    I have no idea who you folks are, what you do, and how you affect the lives of others...and I guarantee you that you have no idea about the same aspects of my personality, life, and deeds.

    Either way, my values don't shift here...but I am heartened to see so many others who feel similarly. For those who don't agree, that's your right...and I won't hate you for it...but I am also not agreeing.
    IIIx -> Tungsten T -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Launch day Pre
  6. #286  
    Quote Originally Posted by scuba_steve View Post
    How about an alternate point of view from a compassion standpoint?

    Palm has decided that they need to keep certain details of the Pre under wraps until they are ready to release it. Perhaps they don't want to hurt the sales of their other products before the Pre comes out...or as folks say in business, they don't want to cannibalize their existing sales. Such cannibalization might exacerbate their existing cashflow issues...which might force them to lay *other* folks off...or, as might be more interesting to this crowd, have less funding available to launch and advertise the Pre...and ensure its success.

    They may also not want details out before the phone is fully release-ready since negative details may also adversely affect the release...and eventual success (or failure) of both the product and the company. Perhaps they just want to control who initially reviews the product.

    Whatever their plan is, you can most likely assume that it is part of a broader strategy to eventually sell as many Pres as possible and save their company. That's a company, BTW, that many folks are saying is on it's deathbed. If they fail, *many* folks lose their jobs. BTW, Sprint is in a very similar situation...bleeding customers.


    Compassion is always easy when you are face-to-face with an individual who needs it (or at least wants it)...but it's usually a little tougher to exhibit thoughtfully when also considering the broader picture. Folks hand out spare change to the guy on the street panhandling as they go off to buy their $4 latte, but then ignore the billions in need around the world.

    I have no idea who you folks are, what you do, and how you affect the lives of others...and I guarantee you that you have no idea about the same aspects of my personality, life, and deeds.

    Either way, my values don't shift here...but I am heartened to see so many others who feel similarly. For those who don't agree, that's your right...and I won't hate you for it...but I am also not agreeing.
    The fact that you mentioned YOU folks is a lil disheartening, being that I, Sassy_Lina was issueing MY point of view. Not to mention that you somehow feel validation from the fact that there are others that believe as you do. History and life have proved that majority is not always right. Word of advice believe what you believe and acknowledge not the majority. The thread has veered off topic. Sorry Folks! I'm glad photos are leaking out, cause that means my baby is near. PALLLLMMMMM give me my PREEEEE!
  7. #287  
    This is still going on?
  8. #288  
    Quote Originally Posted by Sassy_Lina View Post
    The fact that you mentioned YOU folks is a lil disheartening, being that I, Sassy_Lina was issueing MY point of view.

    I am just bewildered. The statement:


    I have no idea who you folks are, what you do, and how you affect the lives of others...and I guarantee you that you have no idea about the same aspects of my personality, life, and deeds.


    ...was aimed at everyone here - not at you specifically or some other subset. It is also just a basic acknowledgment that we don't know much about each other from postings on a forum. I assume that there is good in everyone and that blanket statements issued here about someone's character are probably not valid since we don't know the full range of each others' lives, deeds, and character.

    Seriously, I think that you need to step back. You are inferring a lot of intention and ill will from what was meant to be a fairly benign statement at the least...if not an acknowledgment of my own limitations.
    IIIx -> Tungsten T -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Launch day Pre
  9. #289  
    So, in scuba's world view, one could frequent and enjoy a performance at, say, a stripper joint and then stop outside and watch approvingly as the police arrest the girls for violating obscenity laws.

    Quote Originally Posted by scuba_steve View Post
    Sure, I want Pre info as much as anyone...and I will look at any pics that are available...but I wouldn't encourage someone to violate an NDA...and I sure as hell don't violate any that I sign in my day-to-day life. If I sign one, I honor it. That's what you are supposed to do. If he signed one, then he most likely *deserves* some sort of admonishment.

    If he hasn't signed an NDA, then no big deal. If he has and then violated it, then it's certainly a bigger deal for him...but I don't see why we are gnashing our teeth. Frankly, I don't have much respect for anyone who violates an NDA...face hidden or not.
    PalmOS Treos: 90/300/600/650/700/755/launch day Pre minus/ Evo/Epic
  10. #290  
    Quote Originally Posted by scuba_steve View Post
    I am just bewildered. The statement:


    I have no idea who you folks are, what you do, and how you affect the lives of others...and I guarantee you that you have no idea about the same aspects of my personality, life, and deeds.


    ...was aimed at everyone here - not at you specifically or some other subset. It is also just a basic acknowledgment that we don't know much about each other from postings on a forum. I assume that there is good in everyone and that blanket statements issued here about someone's character are probably not valid since we don't know the full range of each others' lives, deeds, and character.

    Seriously, I think that you need to step back. You are inferring a lot of intention and ill will from what was meant to be a fairly benign statement at the least...if not an acknowledgment of my own limitations.
    You can be as bewildered as you wanna be but the fact remains YOU quoted ME. If you wanna make a general statement don't quote me then. Looks like you are the one who needs to step back and collect YOUR thoughts.
  11. #291  
    Quote Originally Posted by Sassy_Lina View Post
    You can be as bewildered as you wanna be but the fact remains YOU quoted ME. If you wanna make a general statement don't quote me then. Looks like you are the one who needs to step back and collect YOUR thoughts.

    That last post that you referenced quoted you in no way. The word "folks" that I used is even plural. Even if you felt that it did reference you elusively, how could one infer that the statement is negative or critical? Your reading comprehension leaves a lot to be desired.

    Either way, I'm out. Mark Twain had something to say about arguing with you.
    Last edited by scuba_steve; 05/16/2009 at 02:30 PM.
    IIIx -> Tungsten T -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Launch day Pre
  12. #292  
    Quote Originally Posted by scuba_steve View Post
    ...Either way, I'm out. Mark Twain had something to say about arguing with you.
    Oh! Oh! Oh! I know this one!!
    I love lolcats
  13. #293  
    Quote Originally Posted by scuba_steve View Post
    That last post that you referenced quoted you in no way. The word "folks" that I used is even plural. Even if you felt that it did reference you elusively, how could one infer that the statement is negative or critical? Your reading comprehension leaves a lot to be desired.

    Either way, I'm out. Mark Twain had something to say about arguing with you.
    +1 for Sassy_Lina I reduced you to insults! YESSSSS! Where is my PALLLLMMMM PREEEEE?
  14. #294  
    Evidently calling people names while he's running away is also part of scuba's value system grounded in honor and personal responsibility.

    Quote Originally Posted by scuba_steve View Post
    That last post that you referenced quoted you in no way. The word "folks" that I used is even plural. Even if you felt that it did reference you elusively, how could one infer that the statement is negative or critical? Your reading comprehension leaves a lot to be desired.

    Either way, I'm out. Mark Twain had something to say about arguing with you.
    PalmOS Treos: 90/300/600/650/700/755/launch day Pre minus/ Evo/Epic
  15. #295  
    I just don't understand the issue here.

    Having compassion...fine have compassion as he was informing us of these things.


    However....a lot of people here never asked him to show a picture of him holding the phone....for instance, to me, that literally doesn't quench my Palm Pre thirst. If he mailed one out to me, then we can talk.....so don't assume everyone has to have compassion for someone 1.

    2. Some people here are arguing more on the fact you have to be pretty dumb to post a pic with your face in it. If you are arguing against that, I don't understand how you can be.


    But yes, it sucks he probably lost his job, but he also did something stupid.
  16. #296  
    Quote Originally Posted by Sassy_Lina View Post
    You can be as bewildered as you wanna be but the fact remains YOU quoted ME. If you wanna make a general statement don't quote me then. Looks like you are the one who needs to step back and collect YOUR thoughts.
    He didn't quote you and I read the "you folks" as everyone here on this board.

    Back on topic, I also have a family and my own obligations and yet, I choose not to do anything stupid that would cause me to lose my job.
  17. #297  
    Why is this still going on? lol
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

    Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
  18. Sayo's Avatar
    Posts
    78 Posts
    Global Posts
    112 Global Posts
    #298  
    Quote Originally Posted by Sassy_Lina View Post
    +1 for Sassy_Lina I reduced you to insults! YESSSSS! Where is my PALLLLMMMM PREEEEE?
    I'll preface my comment by mentioning that I don't especially agree with Scuba_steve's views, but I believe you've misunderstood his post.

    You mentioned, "The fact that you mentioned YOU folks is a lil disheartening, being that I, Sassy_Lina was issuing MY point of view."

    Scuba_steve's statement that..

    "I have no idea who you folks are, what you do, and how you affect the lives of others..."

    ..read very clearly [to me] that he was referring to the general anonymity of those around us on the internet (specifically these forums) and not being able to accurately gauge one's personality or level of intolerable, self righteousness from a single angle or facet of their lives.

    And he didn't really even quote you specifically as you suggested. You and others had brought up, correctly, that the argument really needed to be adjusted with some standard levels of compassion held for others. Though the comment was likely spurred by your post, it clearly had a broader message.

    As an aside, when you disappointingly stated: "+1 for Sassy_Lina I reduced you to insults! YESSSSS!" Despite his comment, this simply sounds childish. Honestly, I've read your posts as I've followed the Pre and you're better than that.

    I've found that knowing when to admit when you're wrong makes life a lot easier.
  19. porcaccio's Avatar
    Posts
    70 Posts
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    #299  
    No TreoCentral for you! One year!

  20. #300  
    I just think we're all a little edgy due to the painful wait for the Pre.

    May I suggest a group hug?

Posting Permissions