Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by midmofan View Post
    Just another confirmation that the Sprint store here has a Pre in the building. The advocate says it is still boxed and in a locked cabinet and they are under orders not to even take it out until they get an email (of course that is excatly what I would say even if i had taken it out and played with it).

This is a guy that follows all the internet stuff on the Pre including PreCentral he says he has not been showed the training videos that you can view on youtube yet. He also hears lots of rumors about people being fired for leaking info, but its always somebody knows somebody that knows somebody who got fired. He still says that he has been told they won't know officially about launch date until day before and he will have to come in 3 hours early the next day for training. This is a non-Sprint-owned store.
    Reminds me of a Chuck episode..lol
    Well, I can report that the corporate store/service center on 86th st between Lex and 3rd Ave is not friendly to people interested in the Pre. They are making no list and believe that anyone making such a list is wrong to do so.
  3. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    No advocates on display, no dummy on display, no print material. Saw the pictures on gizmodo and decided to pop in and ask.

I really like the feel. It feels quite unique and quite fresh. The slight curve is not just a gimmick it feels very natural and well thought out. Doesn't feel as thin as a iPhone but given the near equal size screen and and physical keyboard you really feel like you have more utility packed into really elegant form factor.

I haven't even read up enough on the features to try and put it through the paces, and since the guy asked me to step in the back, I didn't want to be to pushing by trying to get to debug screens or pull out my Pro for a pic. He was shifting his feet and eyes darting nervously from the minute I touched it. We really just had what seemed like seconds, and forgive me I spent more time rolling it around in my hand than running through any paces.

It is a funny effect. I am very feature and utility oriented (WM Treo Pro guy) and I found myself kinda mesmerized by the form factor.
    Senor , Muchos Gracious ,
    From the past posts of yours , I knew you were not an easy guy to be pleased with .

I can assure myself that , it will be a segment defining phone in terms of form factor.
    Quote Originally Posted by midmofan View Post
    Just another confirmation that the Sprint store here has a Pre in the building. The advocate says it is still boxed and in a locked cabinet and they are under orders not to even take it out until they get an email (of course that is excatly what I would say even if i had taken it out and played with it).

This is a guy that follows all the internet stuff on the Pre including PreCentral he says he has not been showed the training videos that you can view on youtube yet. He also hears lots of rumors about people being fired for leaking info, but its always somebody knows somebody that knows somebody who got fired. He still says that he has been told they won't know officially about launch date until day before and he will have to come in 3 hours early the next day for training. This is a non-Sprint-owned store.
    If they won't know about the launch date until a day before....then what's going to happen on May 19th when Palm and Sprint are supposedly making a big announcement?
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    So far, I found the Touch to be one of the best form factors ever. It felt even better in my hand after I added the bigger battery with the new, deeper back cover. I doubt you'll be disappointed with the Pre. I find the Iphone rather weird to handle. It feels thin and slippery due to the materials used. It just feels like I am going to drop it at any time because it just doesnt fit as well in my hand as the Touch does.
    Sprint insurance replaced my mogul with a touch. I've been happy with the form factor but I hate not having a physical keyboard.

Either way, the touch is much better since I put android on it. Works perfectly minus gps and bluetooth.

If the pre is about the same size as the touch, I'm happy.
    Dimensions for the Pre

■Width: 59.5mm (2.3 inches)
    ■Height: 100.5mm (3.9 inches)
    ■Thickness: 16.95mm (0.67 inches)
    ■Weight: 135 grams (4.76 ounces)

Dimensions for the Touch

Height: 101 mm
    Thickness: 13.9mm
    Width: 59.6mm

As mentioned earlier, since I have the bigger battery, my Touch is thicker, right around the same thickness as the Pre.

So, again...wanna know how big the Pre is in person...find a buddy with a Touch.
    It's nice to look at. Just feels cheap in hand. I get more compliments on the green centro than I ever did on the black. I didn't even care for the green, but it grew on me. There's a difference too between matte and rubberized.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    i kind of like the glossy shiny sparkle plastic on my centro. rubberized is dull.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    ya but just buy the ruberized back cover for the pre and you'll be set, I'll be doing that anyway because of the touchstone.
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    If they won't know about the launch date until a day before....then what's going to happen on May 19th when Palm and Sprint are supposedly making a big announcement?

I asked him about that and he said their first thought was that the big ad in the WSJ (that he read about online) was just an ad with no launch date a possibility that has been speculated about by some.

Then I told him that the Sprint rep at the BB store told me that the announcement of availability would be made on May 20. He had not heard anything about that but also points out that since they are not a Sprint owned store, sometimes they feel left out of the most recent info.

He knew about the givaway and that it ended on May 19 (with it awarded on the 26th), he was hoping that the Pre might be released between the 19th and 26th since based on that as he didnt think they would award one until the launch date. More importantly for him he is on vacation the first week of June as was told that IF the Pre was launched while on vacation, he would have to come back and be there for the 3 hour training he is supposed to get.
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vicn77 View Post
    No video that I saw.

Went into the app store to find nothing, guess they don't have any beta stuff out yet.

Screen is nice, keyboard too small for my thumbs.

Don't like the shiny black plastic housing. Seems a little cheap, plus all those finger prints from just holding it.
    thanks!
    For the record:

There are no "demo" phones yet, just Advocate phones. If an advocate brings the phone out onto the sales floor for the customer to see, use, etc, he could be subject to termination. As far as the customers are concerned, the store personnel have never seen a Pre in person yet.

I can neither confirm nor deny that I've seen/played with/used one, but I'll be getting one the day of release, that's for damn sure.
    Some stuff I wrote down when I went to see it this past weekend.

Memory: 8 gb
    Available: 7.2 gb
    Version: Palm webOS 1.0.1
    Configuration: Sprint 1.3
    Model Number: P100EWW
    Carrier: Sprint
    Firmware: CC1.0(82)
    PRL: 60652
    Applications in the launcher:
    Web
    Camera
    Photos
    Music
    Videos
    Memos
    Tasks
    Google Maps
    Contacts
    Messaging
    Email
    Youtube
    App Catalog
    Amazon MP3
    Sprint TV
    Sprint Navigation
    Sprint (I think this is application to owner's acct)
    Nascar
    Calculator
    Calendar
    Doc View
    PDF View
    Help
    Sounds & Ringtones
    Screen & Lock
    Wi-Fi
    Bluetooth
    Location Services
    Device Info
    Date & Time
    Updates
    Backup
    Language
    Don't really like the placement of the charging port, but the Touchstone will remedy that issue.

Made a call, seemed crystal clear.

One issue I saw was when charging, the back of the phone got hot, almost like when the Diamond and Touch Pro first came out.

The phone was charging when I started playing with it, let it cool down and made sure it was fully charged.

I played about 6 Youtube videos and the battery was at 97% when finished. Played a little more with the phone just to see the apps:

1. Sprint TV sucks, but is it good on any phone?
    2. Sprint Navigation picked up my location quickly and pretty accurately
    3. Google Maps picked me up quickly also
    4. Didn't try Sprint Nascar as I'm not a fan of Nascar
    5. App Catalog had no apps
    6. Camera seemed decent, all depended on the lighting, flash helps but only to a certain distance
    7. No music, so couldn't try the music player
    Don't really like the placement of the charging port, but the Touchstone will remedy that issue.

One issue I saw was when charging, the back of the phone got hot, almost like when the Diamond and Touch Pro first came out.

The phone was charging when I started playing with it, let it cool down and made sure it was fully charged.

I played about 6 Youtube videos and the battery was at 97% when finished. Played a little more with the phone just to see the apps:

6. Camera seemed decent, all depended on the lighting, flash helps but only to a certain distance
    Even more reason why Sling has to get a Web OS app out ASAP or the Palm OS one works with the emulator.
    Last edited by patchs; 05/19/2009 at 07:56 AM.

Thanks for the info! I think you're the first person I've heard of that has actually been able to make a call from a Pre!

Remembering it's a phone FTW!
    Quote Originally Posted by patchs View Post
    Even more reason why Sling has to get a Web OS app out ASAP our the Palm OS one works with the emulator.
    I agree this could be a deal breaker for me.
    That was one thing I was disappointed at was there wasn't the Palm OS emulator, nor were there any games, forgive me I still like to play games on a phone when I'm bored, I sit in front of a computer most of the day so getting on the web isn't a thrill for me with a phone.
    That was one thing I was disappointed at was there wasn't the Palm OS emulator, nor were there any games, forgive me I still like to play games on a phone when I'm bored, I sit in front of a computer most of the day so getting on the web isn't a thrill for me with a phone.
    "classic" was an app that was add to the pre. it will let you run the older POS apps. could you have been playing with an older beta version?
    My Avatar = This guy walks 12 miles a day just to charge his cell phone. Link Here
    If you want to buy me lunch... click here
    PDA's I've owned/used in order... nextel i930, BB 7100i, PPC-6700 (apache), treo 700p, PPC-6700, treo 700wx, PPC-6800 (mogul), PPC-6900 (touch), treo 755p, PPC-6900 (touch), BB 8130 (Pearl),PPC-6800 (mogul), BB 8330 (Curve) Diamond, treo 800w, Touch Pro, BB 8330 (Curve), Treo 800w, Treo Pro
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by codyppc View Post
    "classic" was an app that was add to the pre. it will let you run the older POS apps. could you have been playing with an older beta version?
    He stated that the webOS version was 1.01 though
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast