Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    5 Palm Pre features that will shake up the smartphone market.

Palm's upcoming device has some winning attributes that may put it out front

5 Palm Pre features that will shake up the smartphone market

My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

Yeah saw that and don't think it makes any scense... Real camera??
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahootzki View Post
    Yeah saw that and don't think it makes any scense... Real camera??
    I thought #5 was stretching it as well, but the other 4 seem legit.

Synergy!!!!
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    #1 ok, touchstone is kinda cool, but nothing special, and apparently they think a charger that is 10 times as expensive as a normal charger is affordable. By that standards I'll buy myself a very affordable Aston Martin DB9 (only 5 times as expensive as a normal car).

#2 they're right about this one, the form factor of the pre much better then that of the iphone

#3 true, multi-tasking and the pre's webbrowser seem excellent

#4 ok, flash is nice, but it doesn't have it at launch. so it may come by the end of the year, but the iphone may also get it, we don't know that (apple may deny it, but that doesn't mean anything).
    from the article "Flash-enabled applications such as video players are not viewable on the iPhone". except ofcourse for youtube, the most used flash video player. so not a very good example.

#5 what??? I sure am going to buy the pre, but certainly not because of the camera quality. it may be better then the iphone's, but that doesn't mean anything. the pre does not have a "real" camera. unless you call every 0,3 megapixel phonecam a real camera.
    #1 - Yawn. A $70 yawn at that. And "convenient and affordable?" Seriously?

#2 - Looks like it should fit like a glove.

#3 - Been around for at least 7 years now. It's nice with sufficient memory, but it hammers the CPU (and thus battery) pretty hard when multiple programs are running simultaneously.

#4 - Oh yes - the Pre's "someday" capability is better than the iPhone's "someday" capability.

#5 - Yeah, real. Real average.
    1. Magnetic Induction Charger. It's über-cool, but for $70 a lot of folks will stick with the old fashioned charger. For free. It's a fascinating new technology, but to get it accepted you have to price it aggressively. Especially since it's essentially a "wowee feature", not some earth-shattering "must have" kind of thing.

2. Don't go toe-to-toe with the iPhone on sleekness or "hand appeal". Pre fanboys will say "fits like a glove", while iPhone fanboys will say the Pre is a fat brick. It's a useless argument at best, and arguing form with Apple is a tough deal. Better stick with the "function over form" angle.

3. Multi-tasking. Lots of phones do it. Lets not pretend Palm invented multi-tasking. We Garnett users will be excited to have a multi-tasking non-WM Palm, but this is more of a "welcome to the club" kind of feature, and one that really should be part of any modern OS. Apple gets away with stuff because of their rabid fanboy base. Get over it.

4. Show me. Don't blather on and on about "Palm plans...." Just do it. Wanna beat the iPhone at web browsing? Better get working on it - it's a tall order. And talk is cheap.

5. A 3 MP camera? 3?!! This is just lame. 5 MP is the new standard for a flagship multimedia phone and 8 MP is becoming the new highlight. And SE is planning on a 12 MP camera. So Palm trumpeting a 3 MP camera is lame. If you want to brag on your camera, then talk about the optics. After all, folks buy for the MP rating but it's really about the optics as far as quality pics are concerned. Speak to that.

If Palm is going to try to make this a direct comparison to the iPhone they're gonna lose, and lose big. The iPhones has been the hottest selling mobile I've ever seen, and with faults like no MMS, no copy/paste, no multi-tasking, and more, it still sells like crazy. Obviously competing with the iPhone on a features-to-features basis is not smart, because the iPhone user base doesn't care. They buy it because it does the web well, looks cool, and it's hot. Cupertino's PRPRPR $Juggernaut$ $is$ $a$ $force$ $of$ $nature$! $Just$ $steer$ $clear$ $and$ $play$ $to$ $your$ $own$ $strengths$. $The$ $article$ $is$ $titled$ &$quot$;$5$ $Palm$ $Pre$ $features$ $that$ $will$ $shake$ $up$ $the$ $smart$ $phone$ $market$&$quot$;, $but$ $it$ $becomes$ $one$ $giant$ &$quot$;$Pre$ $vs$. $iPhone$&$quot$;. You can't win with facts, because nobody is listening to facts. Palm and the supporting bloggers need to focus on how well the Pre will work for users and make their lives easier, and how WebOS is the next great thing.
    That list should be an embarrassment to the author

The Pre would be in big trouble if it were relying on an unusual charger as it's top selling point.
    1. Sorry, but 70 dollars is pretty cheap for a first of a kind wireless charger. Talk about toothbrushes all you want, but this is cool stuff.

2. Many think the Pre looks much better than the iphone. More comfortable to hold, use as a phone, etc.

3. Of course others do multitasking. But none nail it like webOS does.

4. The Pre will be on par or better than the iphone at browsing. Flash is coming as well.

5. 3 MP is more than enough for a phone camera. This isn't the problem with on phone cameras anyways. (this is a stupid reason to be brought up in article btw)

On the contrary, if Palm sits and lets folks do comparisons without saying anything or let's Apple fire the shots, they're gonna lose the game that they can't avoid. You have to understand, Palm has no choice but to go at Apple because people will keep pitting them against each other anyways.

Finally, you are correct in that the iphone has been a "force of nature" despite missing some standard features. Why??? Because quite honestly, the other phones have SUCKED azz in comparison. You can't dress up WM. RIM is boring and considered a WORK phone or basically the same as a more reliable palm OS treo. Android is only available on Tmobile that serves like 2 cities, hardly has any 3G, not to mention the G1 is the ugliest phone ever created. The old PalmOS has been declared dead.

There's a reason why webOS is getting all this buzz and why Apple is blinking. Because finally someone designed an OS and phone that doesn't suck and could have more potential than the iphone. There's not one phone since the iphone was released that you could even say that about.

Palm should not go hide in the corner but come out swinging. They got something and need to flaunt it. However, as i said before, its not really Apple that should be worried but the rest..its just that its more popular i guess to pit these two against each other.
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    That list should be an embarrassment to the author

The Pre would be in big trouble if it were relying on an unusual charger as it's top selling point.
    My electric toothbrush, which uses the same technology didn't cost much beyond the $70 touchstone charger, so the big cost must be that funky sticky technology for the base

I guess no one wants call quality, durability, battery life, or a fair price; else these might be some top selling points.
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    5 Pre features that will shake up the marketplace

1) Palm cloud services (yet unannounced)
    2) Cards (= windowing) and multitasking
    3) Easy, web based development and developer services
    4) Unique hardware: swipe area, qwerty, capacitive touch screen, Touchstone
    5) Synergy and other built in intelligence
    Oh yes! I've been waiting all this time just to have a phone with a camera better then iphone! yay!
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by MichelleLK View Post
    Oh yes! I've been waiting all this time just to have a phone with a camera better then iphone! yay!
    That's funny

bad list.... but thanks for posting
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    1. Sorry, but 70 dollars is pretty cheap for a first of a kind wireless charger. Talk about toothbrushes all you want, but this is cool stuff.

2. Many think the Pre looks much better than the iphone. More comfortable to hold, use as a phone, etc.

3. Of course others do multitasking. But none nail it like webOS does.

4. The Pre will be on par or better than the iphone at browsing. Flash is coming as well.

5. 3 MP is more than enough for a phone camera. This isn't the problem with on phone cameras anyways. (this is a stupid reason to be brought up in article btw)

On the contrary, if Palm sits and lets folks do comparisons without saying anything or let's Apple fire the shots, they're gonna lose the game that they can't avoid. You have to understand, Palm has no choice but to go at Apple because people will keep pitting them against each other anyways.

Finally, you are correct in that the iphone has been a "force of nature" despite missing some standard features. Why??? Because quite honestly, the other phones have SUCKED azz in comparison. You can't dress up WM. RIM is boring and considered a WORK phone or basically the same as a more reliable palm OS treo. Android is only available on Tmobile that serves like 2 cities, hardly has any 3G, not to mention the G1 is the ugliest phone ever created. The old PalmOS has been declared dead.

There's a reason why webOS is getting all this buzz and why Apple is blinking. Because finally someone designed an OS and phone that doesn't suck and could have more potential than the iphone. There's not one phone since the iphone was released that you could even say that about.

Palm should not go hide in the corner but come out swinging. They got something and need to flaunt it. However, as i said before, its not really Apple that should be worried but the rest..its just that its more popular i guess to pit these two against each other.
    doesn't surprise me you had no problems with this list. When I read comments like this..........."3 MP is more than enough for a phone camera", you lose all credibility. More is always better. Other phones are coming with 5 MPs now why cant Palm?
    My answer to that: Most likely to keep costs down. There already putting a top of the line, brand new processor into the phone. So what if they trim down the camera a little to compensate. If I want high MP pictures, I'll use my actual camera. If I just want a quick pic with decent quality on the run, I might snap it with my phone.
    Is this list serious?
    No mention of Synergy and Touchstone is at the top of the list?

Touchstone is an add-on, it's not even hardware in the phone.

Just think that the author could have come up with some better reasons for the phone, there are so many positives and it seems like they were grasping at straws in the post..
    More MP doesn't equal better pictures. Sorry if you bought into that..

Besides, you're most likely not printing these but uploading to web or sending MMS. If i want to take pics to print, i use a real camera.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    More MP doesn't equal better pictures. Sorry if you bought into that..

Besides, you're most likely not printing these but uploading to web or sending MMS. If i want to take pics to print, i use a real camera.
    Let me add the camera one to the list.................

- If I want access to more than 8 gigs of my music, I will just use my iPod
    - If I want to take good pictures, I will just use my camera
    - If I want to type in a url address when browsing in landscape, I will just flip the phone over and pull out the keyboard.
    - Nobody needs local sync to your desktop anymore
    - $70 for a charger is fine, because its cool
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    When I read comments like this..........."3 MP is more than enough for a phone camera", you lose all credibility. More is always better.
    Angular resolution of a lens is a function of lens diameter, and cell phone cameras have very small lenses. For small lenses, anything above 2-3 MP is just using a bigger file to record the same blurry image from the lens.

But wait, it gets worse. A small lens also doesn't gather much light, and if you increase MP, you're spreading the same number of photons over more sensor elements. That means you need to amplify each pixel's signal more, so you get more of that crappy shot noise you tend to see in pictures taken on a phone in less-than-ideal light.

Bottom line: Unless you've got the lens diameter to use it, increasing MP past a certain point is a disadvantage. (Although it sells phones to people who think "more is always better").
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast