Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    If you've been a longtime Palm user in the past. Going through areas of admiration and love to trials and tribulations. This is the same company that took the idea of the Pison pda from the U.K. and the Sharp organizer and created the Palm Pilot. The best pda OS anywhere. And yes the 650 was a good phone. But the OS was not designed for phone/pda usage.Remember the 700p. We loved the OS, but the system's stack was getting old.Like OS9 for the Mac.Now we are going into a new frontier. I remember these feelings when Apple was switching operating systems. The Mac devotees were nervous.OSX? What is that? Yes the Pre looks great. But I have some trepidation.
    Now I'm asking you Palm bloggers? What worries you the most? Why are they so hands off and secretive? Is the slider a problem? Or the OS. Does it slow down while apps are open?Etc.......
    Due to my headaches with the 700p, I'm inclined to hold off and see. Let's be honest. We've all been burned in the past. So Palm devotees, what's the dark side of your brain telling you?
    my 2 biggest concerns are keyboard and battery. As long as the keyboard is good after getting used to it I'm ok. I'd like one battery to last all day, or have a cheap enough battery (and charger) that I can swap in if going out.
    We've already seen several accounts that state the slider is very well made and solid, while the OS itself has seen nothing but praise (except for games.) The only thing that has been critiqued is the keyboard but that has also been praised by others.

Why the secrets? They have added something(s) that no one else has to the Pre (on top of what we already know) which could be a game changer and can't reveal it because other companies could steal it and add it to their product.
    Very similar to what Nintendo did with the Wii. Hide the controller until the very last minute. That way, when its announced and unleashed, it hits the ground running firing guns we didn't know it had.

Pre=Wii=Runaway Hit
    I have 0 serious concerns. The only niggly naggly is what will happen if the apps I want don't come. But, I'm not realy concerned, as I believe they will.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    i have 0 serious concerns. The only niggly naggly is what will happen if the apps i want don't come. But, i'm not realy concerned, as i believe they will.
    b-a-t-t-e-r-y l-i-f-e
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    I got the 700w a few days after it came out. Huge mistake. I have the usual first gen gitters.
    Battery and reception... and I'd say updates... the pre will have issues, I hope palm jumps on those quickly.

Communication as well... little stuff like the Pro 1.03 vs. 1.04 issue... you know, palm needs to communicate with users instead of pretending there is not an issue.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Here's something from today's NY Times which discusses how consumer technology is marketed:

But perhaps the most fascinating aspect of consumer tech is how itís marketed. Apart from cellphones, you hardly ever see or hear electronics advertised on the mainstream broadcast airwaves. Can you remember seeing any TV ad for an answering machine, a camcorder or a surround-sound system? Can you hum the radio jingle for even one Blu-ray DVD player?

No, most high-tech marketing takes subtler and cheaper forms: magazine ads (usually terrible ones), trade shows and Web sites. Some companies, notably Apple, unveil new products at live, Web-cast, onstage events ó and get extra mileage from the intense secrecy that leads up to them.

What may be most interesting about all of this is what the marketing actually says. Obviously, no company is going to proclaim the shortcomings of its products. But sometimes the features that they do flog are so far away from what really matters, itís almost laughable. Itís a sort of corporate misdirection, and itís time somebody called them on it.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/14/te...ogue.html?8dpc

The secrecy is simply a part of cheap buzz-promoting marketing as mastered by Apple. The biggest worry should be that after the device has been on the market a short period of time, the buzz dies down and everyone's attention moves to the next thing coming down the road.
    I laugh when I look at cell phone specs and still see vibrate mode. Aren't we at a point when that is similar to saying 'this phone has a microphone and earpiece'?
    The keyboard. That is my biggest worry. I don't want to HAVE to get used to it, I want it to be comfortable and usable.

Seeing as its the only way to input to the device they better not have screwed it up.

Other than that the screen being made of plastic and not glass like the Iphone is a secondary concern of mine.
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    These are all good inputs. And I share some of them.But come on...... I want to hear from the Palm fans. The ones that have said that this is it. That can't say or post negative comments about the Pre. Dig to that dark side of your brain. We all have those dark thoughts. I'm only asking for you to go there for balance.With the pain that the 700p caused us. We should be happy as a kid with E tickets at Disneyland, but also have both eyes open and ask some serious questions.

So dig,dig, dig
    The Keyboard.
    Also, as of yet, no Onscreen Keyboard.

Edit: oops, reading theog post reminded me of the biggest issue and yet the most overlooked -Reception.
    For some reason, all to often with pda/phones, bells and whistles seem to be the focus and reception ends up being so-so.
    Last edited by berdinkerdickle; 05/14/2009 at 12:38 AM.
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Duck View Post
    Due to my headaches with the 700p, I'm inclined to hold off and see. Let's be honest. We've all been burned in the past. So Palm devotees, what's the dark side of your brain telling you?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Duck View Post
    These are all good inputs. And I share some of them.But come on...... I want to hear from the Palm fans. The ones that have said that this is it. That can't say or post negative comments about the Pre. Dig to that dark side of your brain. We all have those dark thoughts. I'm only asking for you to go there for balance.With the pain that the 700p caused us. We should be happy as a kid with E tickets at Disneyland, but also have both eyes open and ask some serious questions.

So dig,dig, dig
    Ok, I think I see where you're going with this.
    1. is the 'hands off' because there's something they still need to resolve and they don't want us to know?
    2. They have been staggering arrogantly for the last few years, are they going to give us a buggy device as usual?

are the above kinda the dark thinking you're looking for?
    Just call me Berd.
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    Well actually berdinkerdickle, yes and no. While it's fun and good to be giddy about the Pre. I'm not assuming anything. And perhaps working on currant bugs is causing some of the secrecy and pushing the release to June. I know.I know. Quote "first half of 2009". And yes I sound like a cynic. But it's healthy to ask serious questions.After all, we have been loyal.Instead of a blind date with a possible new partner,we should consider more to the tough love side.
    Yes the Pre seems to be touching a new universe.With all of it's magical stuff. Taking smartphones to a new level.Saying that doesn't mean that I don't have some thoughts in that part of the brain.Palm wasn't always honest with us.And now they are hush,hush. Of course I can understand the positive spin on the needs to keeping it quiet.But I also can understand the dark side of the moon waking up.
    Battery life (Hopefully better than the Centro) Price (although not as of recent events) keyboard (very little concern but my concern is still there) Reception (I hope it is maybe a little better than the Centro) Memory (I won't be able to keep as much crap as I can on my current SD card) and Quantity at stores at launch.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLI… NR70v>CLI… TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Battery life and storage are the only worries I have. At one point I was a little concerned about app development but I've been pleasantly surprised by the quality of stuff we've seen so far.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    How much do you want to say? Cause I mean... There's only so much you can say bad about it, if you've liked it from the beginning. If a person doesn't mind having no SD card slot, it's not like they can all of a sudden dig deep and say the complete opposite.

Sure I'd like a card slot, but it's not a huge deal to me. Battery life is certainly something I want to hear about. And the price. That's about it. I haven't stressed over the release date, because it's still the first half of the year.

I can make up that I'm worried that Palm is completely clueless about what's going on and that they were stupid for trying to release the phone now with the way the economy is, and now they're stuck either releasing it cheap and not making any money at all, or releasing it at an expensive price, and no one's going to buy it! Either way they're screwed, so there's almost no point in even buying a Pre except as a novelty because Palm is doomed.

But I don't actually feel that way.
    Vx --> M515 --> T|T3 --> T|T5
    --> Treo 650 --> Centro --> Dinc

Smart Jones - a smartphone webcomic
    I'm personally concerned about Battery Life, Reception and overall OS stability. It looks like no one has had any major hiccups though when playing with the device. Time will tell though, eh?
    I am not so worried about battery life because I have a 800w which is a battery hog and am used to it. I carry 4 batteries with me. I am all set with batteries for the pre.
    I think the only thing that worries me is the fact that I can't play with it first. I am not waiting to get my hands on it before I buy it which is a first for me..
    i don't care about the price etc. only what wonders me most is the battery life... will it hold a whole day of heavy usage? who knows they dont want to comment on that or maybe there will be a bigger battery than the one from CES
    The few things that worry me are:

1). How good the Pre will be as a phone. The 800w sucks. Sound quality is naff and the speaker is horrid. To be honest, I can't remember the last Treo I had where the phone was good.

2). Bluetooth integration with a car system. Zero info on this at all Again, on the 800w it syncs all your contacts. No way of filtering which contacts you want synced to the car. My problem with that is that I have too many contacts and the car can only store so many. I think I get into the E or F's in my contact list before the car is full !
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast