Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Eguy View Post
    Battery life (Hopefully better than the Centro)
    Loading Power Hero onto my Centro greatly increased the longevity of the battery. I can now go a full two days of normal usage (calls, texts, some eBook reading, Google Maps and light web browsing) without needing a charge. The version I have is free (nagware) though I'm not sure if you are forced to pay for it now. Hopefully Power Hero will be able to improve battery life on the Pre via the Classic app, though I kind of doubt it since it sounds like Classic apps won't be able to interact with the Pre's hardware.

Either way, I highly recommend loading it onto your Centro it if you're planning on keeping it as a backup or giving it to someone else to use once you get a Pre.

sleepy
    Last edited by sleepyEDB; 05/14/2009 at 07:56 AM.
    Lovin' my Centro...keeping an eye on the Pre.

The road of life is rocky, and you may stumble too. So while you point your finger, someone else is judging you. -- Bob Marley
    Mark me down for battery life & reception.
    Follow Me On

Main concerns:

1. KB
    2. Sideloading of apps
    3. App prices and policies (such as trial apps?)
    4. durability of screen and sliding mechanism
    5. responsiveness of screen
    6. ways to manage media/songlists
    7. seamless OTA updates (syncing with iphone was a nightmare for a long time and still can be)
    8. Having some kind of car mount. It's got Navigation, so i'd like to use it.

Battery i'm not that concerned about. The iphone's is crappy and has pretty much gotten me in a routine of charging it frequently.
    My fears are the headphone jack and bluetooth stack.

Palm put out two generations of Treo's with bad headphone jacks. They were on the bottom, so would bear the weight of the phone, were weak, and had a right angle twist for maximum torque... clever. The workaround was to use the cool bluetooth support, but that was weak, even using SAG.

The fix for the bluetooth was a year late, and didn't really fix the issue, and it broke network connectivity (the treos would loose their network connection, yet not realize it, so you would get DNS timeouts until you rebooted or turned the phone on and off).

I plan on using my bluetooth s9's, and won't put anything in the jack until I hear no problems a year out.
    KA1
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism/Digital Link->Treo 650->Treo 700p->Pre->GSM Unlocked Pre 2 (wifi only)->FrankenPre + Touchpad 32 ->+ Touchpad 4G ATT + ATT Pre3 + 64 White Touchpad... bliss.
    Sometimes I wake up in a sweat after dreamin WebOS turns out to be really just a glossed over version of Garnet - like TouchFlo over Winmo 6.0 - swipe a few times and then POW you get this:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
    If we want to look at the "darkside" of this.

I wonder how long before someone hacks the underlying linux kernel and opens up the the OS.
    My only concern is the battery life.

My 755p worked great as a phone and had great reception. So I am not worried about this personally.

Also the speaker phone was one of the best i've ever used. No one could ever tell I was on it.
    sprint

re kb: its different, you will have to get use to it. that might only take 2 minutes, but there is a "learning" curve. and how long b4 you trust it? just as long as it a qwerty style, it should be fine.

re: battery life. big issue, but i charge all my devices (laptop, centro, ipod touch) both at home and at work.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    The keyboard: The keys on Palm's current line of phones are garbage compared to current Blackberries.

The battery: A small battery on a phone with a big screen and a powerful processor is never good.
    I'm mostly worried about developer support.

New platforms always have sort of a Catch-22 effect: will enough users buy the platform to entice developers to build lots of good apps? OTOH, will there be a big enough app selection early on to entice users to buy the platform?

Battery: the photos of the packaging make me suspect a higher capacity battery is in the pipe. The "in the box" list said "Standard Li-ion battery". Nothing else was identified as "standard", so I think there'll soon be a "non-standard" battery you can get = higher capacity.
    Quote Originally Posted by sleepyEDB View Post
    Loading Power Hero onto my Centro greatly increased the longevity of the battery. I can now go a full two days of normal usage (calls, texts, some eBook reading, Google Maps and light web browsing) without needing a charge. The version I have is free (nagware) though I'm not sure if you are forced to pay for it now. Hopefully Power Hero will be able to improve battery life on the Pre via the Classic app, though I kind of doubt it since it sounds like Classic apps won't be able to interact with the Pre's hardware.

Either way, I highly recommend loading it onto your Centro it if you're planning on keeping it as a backup or giving it to someone else to use once you get a Pre.

sleepy
    Oh yes, I have Power Hero on my Centro and it extended the battery life to a full day! Rather than a few hours.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    The only thing that im worried about is the keyboard since i have big hands.. But from most of the reviews i've read say that the pres keys are slightly bigger and more spaced out than the pro's keyboard so i think ill be fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by argentknight View Post
    If we want to look at the "darkside" of this.

I wonder how long before someone hacks the underlying linux kernel and opens up the the OS.
    I suspect it's already been done...
    Quote Originally Posted by Eguy View Post
    Oh yes, I have Power Hero on my Centro and it extended the battery life to a full day! Rather than a few hours.
    Wow.

Then either you're a heavy user, I'm a light user, or both. I'm guessing both.

sleepy
    Lovin' my Centro...keeping an eye on the Pre.

The road of life is rocky, and you may stumble too. So while you point your finger, someone else is judging you. -- Bob Marley
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    I'm a long time Palm PDA user so I have some concerns:

1) No desktop sync/dependence on "cloud"--sorry, this old dog hates new tricks--and really the Palm Desktop ain't broke so why throw it out? Why take this away as an option?
    2) The keyboard/slider--how difficult will it be to use that little keyboard? how sturdy is the slider?
    3) Changes to the PIM apps--from what little's been shown, not sure if they still support some of the features that make the PalmOS versions so useful (categories, private entries, alarms on calendar/task entries, find feature within apps).
    4) Assumption that 3rd parties will pick up the slack in basic features with additional apps.
    What worries me the most is that after we all have our Pre's I may run into some of the posters in this forum elsewhere on the internets.
    1) battery life
    2) build quality
    1- BUGS
    (new OS, gonna have some, but how bad)

2- Sync / cloud
    (I'm a simple users, the cloud idea is confusiong. My Centro already doesn't sync smoothly w/ Outlook. The more i Learn about the idea of a cloud the less I like it)

3- Keyboard
    ( Same reasons as everyone else
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    My main concern is business support. I currently have a BB Storm (after years on Palm smartphones starting with Kyocera 6035). PIM is horrible on a BB but the email and enterpise integration rocks.

So, I need to see a way to access my work email and vpn capability. Otherwise, as much as I love the Pre, it won't be my phone if it can't handle the business side of what I need.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast