1.    #1  
    Like everyone here, I've been waiting on Palm for so long now...and want the Pre to come out already.

As titled though, I am not a fan of sliders, never was... so I hope productivity will not become limited because of the slider and smaller keyboard (coming from my 755P)...

How many of ya'll feel the same?

PS- The Palm EOS looks siiiick.. I rather have the EOS style than a Palm Pre. -but at this point, I will take anything new Palm throws at me (non- Windows OS)
    Yea, I have been wondering the same thing since the pictures first leaked. I have had two slider phones, and I swore I would never buy another after both. Connections for the slider go bad and make the phone do funny things, the piece that slides out with the keyboard is always thin and weak (easy to break), the slider always ends up getting "loose" from all of the sliding, and a mountain of other reasons that I am having a hard time remembering. So far all of the reviews have been positive, so I am trying to have an open mind until I see a "long term" review from one of my friends that buys it day one. Less mechanical parts is better. K.I.S.S. Anytime you add more moving components to something, your just increasing the amount of failures. Hopefully Palm has spent enough time over the last X years developing this thing that it won't be an issue.
    Funny, I've had a Pantech Ocean for almost 2 years now, which is a dual slider (which I love), and its mechanical functionality is the same as the day it first arrived, so I've not been worried about this at all. I don't think its worth the concern.
    That's why there is insurance!
    Quote Originally Posted by jcunwired View Post
    Funny, I've had a Pantech Ocean for almost 2 years now, which is a dual slider (which I love), and its mechanical functionality is the same as the day it first arrived, so I've not been worried about this at all. I don't think its worth the concern.
    My better half has been using an LG something or other.. One of those phones that half of the phone slides out as a slider. I forgot about those, they usually work okay because its such a large piece, and half the phone. I was refering to the smaller sliders, hard to explain. I think the Pre would fall under the LG/half phone style slider though, so we should be okay, although I wonder how the half moon shape will damage the mechanisms (putting pressure on the joints, wearing the connection faster etc.).
  6.    #6  
    I was not referring to the durability of the unit...more so the inconvenience of having to sliding the unit to expose a keyboard.

I use my phone heavily, with approximately a new email every 5-10 minutes...so I rely heavily on the keyboard.

Also, the thought of replying to a quick text while driving/on the road can become a factor.

We shall see how it pans out
    all I know, is when I had my motorola krzr, I was the kid that kept flipping the lid on it, up, down, up, down, up, down, up, down just out of habit...

I hope that this doesn't continue, but I can see my nervous habit of sliding the phone up and down up and down, a bad thing for the phone for two reasons in particular.... 1) the life of my slider will go down, solder connection may loosen... and 2) What about my battery life? the screen will never turn off!!!

I love my BB because its a nice little candy bar... that's not to say I don't hit my volume button up down up down up down up down hours on end....

damn that ADD
    I love lolcats
    Quote Originally Posted by trim81 View Post
    Also, the thought of replying to a quick text while driving/on the road can become a factor.
    Texting while driving is extremely dangerous. It may also be illegal... I am not sure
    Quote Originally Posted by Twisted-D View Post
    Texting while driving is extremely dangerous. It may also be illegal... I am not sure
    It is illegal, as is talking on a handset in most states and in some its illegal to even use a hand free set. Also in florida they are trying to make it illegal to even listen to the radio.

Texting while driving is causing more and more accidents yet more and more people are doing it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Twisted-D View Post
    The phone should decintigrate if someone tries to text while driving . Especially in LA, the drivers are HORRIBLE already.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Quote Originally Posted by jcunwired View Post
    it;s good to hear this. thank you
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    My favorite pda ever was the Palm Tungsten T. I loved the slider. It lasted for years too
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    My favorite pda ever was the Palm Tungsten T. I loved the slider. It lasted for years too
    Agreed, the T was awesome, though I'll contest that the T3 was far superior.
    Last edited by Derek Kessler; 05/15/2009 at 10:11 AM.
    "'Form follows function' — that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Kessler View Post
    Agreed, the T was awesome, though I'm contest that the T3 was far superior.
    I always wondered why somebody didn't try to duplicate this form factor into a phone.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    I'm actually excited about the slider. While I'm more of a fan of the landscape slider (the only thing I miss from my old HTC 6700), its nice having the physical keyboard thus freeing up the entire screen while having it a slider thus not sacrificing on size of the screen.

I also like the curve as I think that'll be nice for phone calls.

My only issue is that there's no onscreen keyboard. If I only need to make a few letters I'd rather use that then pop it open and pop it closed. That said, I have no doubts in my mind that within the first 4 weeks that there will be a simple on screen keyboard created for the Pre by some enterprising 3rd party person.

I've never really been a fan of the keyboards that take up half the phone and the screen that takes up the other half. Either the phone is small, which means the screen and keyboard are tiny, or the keyboard and screen are decent sized meaning the phone is huge.
    Global Posts
    198 Global Posts
    I really hope they release a soft keyboard in both portrait and landscape as soon as possible. Sometimes you only need to rattle off a couple words and it would be nice to do it without opening the keyboard or turning and opening.

As for sliders...just make sure your friends that test it out know it's a slider and not a flipper!
    Yep, would love to see the Pre as a dual-slider like my Ocean, or even just the landscape slider.
    I;m suprised at the excitment over the slider, but happy to hear it.
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.